DVD movies that are DTS-ES

trend1
trend1 Posts: 36
edited January 2002 in Music & Movies
I have a Dennon 3802 receiver with the 7.1 setup in my living room and I would love the watch a movie with DTS-ES but can't find any with the DTS-ES logo on the box. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Trend
Mains: Polk RTi 12 (Bi-Wired)
Center: Polk CSi 5
Surrounds: Polk FXi 3
Rear: Polk FXi 3
Sub: Polk PSW505
Receiver: Denon 3805
Power Amp: 2 Outlaw M-Blocks
Post edited by trend1 on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited January 2002
    I believe Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Ultimate Edition) has a DTS-ES sound track. I highly recommend this DVD, by the way.

Aaron
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited January 2002
    Gladiator, Chicken Run and Seven. Although i'm not running 6.1, the DTS 5.1 Gladiator is outstanding. That one is highly recomended. Seven is very good also. Chicken Run says it is DTS ES, but the back cover states DTS ES 5.1. Not sure if thats a typo or not on the case.

John
    No excuses!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2002
    The Haunting

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Sean De Freitas
    Sean De Freitas Posts: 52
    edited January 2002
    Pardon my extreme show of ignorance, but, I know what DTS is, but haven't heard DTS ES before. Could some good chap enlighten me please, and explain what the heck it is?

Sean.
  • Hector Monte
    Hector Monte Posts: 25
    edited January 2002
    I am not so sure but I think DTS ES is a similar DD sorround format as DD sorround EX -- meaning there is an extra sorround format behind you. (6.1 -meaning 1 speaker where 7.1 for 2). DTS ES are most commonly used by Sony while DD EX by Pioneer.
  • tmorgan
    tmorgan Posts: 37
    edited January 2002
    Try this link for DTS ES and DD EX DVDs
    http://www.docdvd.com/exdvds.shtml
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    sean, hector is right - DTS ES adds a sixth 'center rear' channel, very similar to THX EX, both are considered 6.1 formats.

tmorgan, that is a great link, thanks! :D
  • JaqDanielz
    JaqDanielz Posts: 1
    edited January 2002
    I had always thought the extra 2 speakers with a 7.1 amp, are used as middles, leaving you with fronts, a center, rear surrounds, a sub and two in the middle. exactly how should the speaker arrangement be with a 6.1 and a 7.1 receiver???
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    the 'middles' are rear surrounds (RsS)

6.1:
    L
    C
    R

LIST.-
    LS
    RS
    RrS

7.1:
    L
    C
    R

LIST.-
    LS
    RS
    ---RrS--RrS---
  • Sean De Freitas
    edited January 2002
    Looking at your diagram, and never having heard anything more than 5.1, it would seem that 6.1 would be a more balanced arrangement, surely, as the single rear centre would equal the front centre.

Have any of you guys heard what difference this sort of setup makes in reality (eg with 6.1 or 7.1 encoded disks)?
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    yes, the 6th rear surround channel really balances out the rear soundstage. much fuller, all-encompassing sound. the 7.1 format has seven main speaker's but the (2) rear surrounds receive the same rear surround signal, just amplified individually (at least all the ones i've been able to audition). this is beneficial in larger spaces, but the real difference is made from 5.1 to 6.1!!! 6.1 is great for sounds that come right at you or fly directly over your head. 5.1 has diffuculty reproducing this accurately, where 6.1 does it almost effortlessly...
  • Sean De Freitas
    edited January 2002
    Thanks for that. I was looking at my setup and I do have space for one more speaker, directly behind where we sit. My set up is an RM6600 with the 4 little sats + larger centre. With a 6.1 setup, what recommendation do you have for the rear centre? Either same size as L/R sats, or the larger centre?
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    i would probably say the same as the L/R sat, just so the rear center wouldn't over-power the sides. i may be wrong with this though, cause i don't have much experience with the RM series...
  • Sean De Freitas
    edited January 2002
    Juice,

Just one more question, say you get the 6.1 setup, what happens to the rear centre spkr when you play a 5.1 disk?
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    it depends on the reciever and what mode you are in. some it will lay idle, some will matrix the LS/RS to create a matrixed RrS...
  • Sean De Freitas
    edited January 2002
    Doing some research on the net re upgrading from my 5.1 to 6.1 amp, and obviously these are available. However, assuming you pay for an extra Polk speaker, and a new 6.1 amp/receiver, do you then have to upgrade your DVD player? Mine is a Toshiba 5200 which has DD and DTS decoder built in (which of course a new 6.1 receiver would have anyway) however does the DVD player have to be DTS-ES compatible, or if it is DTS compatible, does that automatically mean it is DTS-ES compatible?
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    DTS ES & THX EX dvd's can be played on a normal dvd player. it is just the reciever that will decode this signal and transfer it to your speakers, you won't need to upgrade your dvd player...