thinking about getting a front projector.

Options
goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
edited October 2003 in Electronics
ok guys i have trolled the other bords avs and htf but i am not getting a feel for the projector and what type of quailty they have.
so i would like to ask all members on this bord to describe your front projector setup screen size, grain, and vewing angle also what projector yu are using and what are your likes and dislikes about it. and finaily quailty of picure.

my goal is to get a front projector setup by march. i am planing on going with the diy screen recomended by a felo member proabley a 120diag. but i just dont know what to get for a prokector and what price range i want to stay in.
Post edited by goingganzo on

Comments

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have a NEC 1000. Cost me $3600. Fan noise can be heard at very low volumes. Easy to set-up. 8 Foot picture. All angles good. Very happy with picture. You can see many differences in picture quality from various DVD sources. HDTV ready with many inputs possible including DVI. Ok to watch with lights on.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Panasonic PT-L200u, paid $1,099, projecting onto an 80" (diagonal) gray DIY screen. Mounted from the ceiling with a DIY mount.

Picture quality is outstanding. Solid blacks, vibrant colors, sharp and detailed. Friends and family cannot see a difference between this and my old ISF'd Mits RPTV. Fan noise is not an issue, it's very quiet. Component input (the X1 did not have this). Bulb life is rated at 5,000 hours. Soild construction.

The only draw backs are the short throw lens, no lens shift and no access to the individual RGB color controls.

I've got pics up on my website with some screenshots as well. The screenshots have been greatly reduced to save on space so there not an accurate represention of actual PQ.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thier are only 3 or 4 of us "NOW". I have done nothing but promote FP on this forum. For me and many other in the HT world it is a no brainer. When I bought mine they were not even in HT mag's yet and now they are all over every cover. In another couple years FP will be as common as the microwave oven. Goingganzo your main problem is going to decide on one. Their are WAY to many now to choose from. Their are hundreds in just the $5000 and under category. GOODLUCK and take you time - do alot of research.
  • goingganzo
    edited October 2003
    Options
    yes and forst thing os if i do go dlp or not. but i am getting a projector with a native 16X9 res. i have herd of a new panny comeing out PT-L500u and there is a new z2 from panny and also the plv 70

i also was told that i will need a projector with a higher luns for a bigger screen
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    yes and forst thing os if i do go dlp or not. but i am getting a projector with a native 16X9 res. i have herd of a new panny comeing out PT-L500u and there is a new z2 from panny and also the plv 70
    i also was told that i will need a projector with a higher luns for a bigger screen
    I have the PLV60 and it's awesome. You will love the plv70 which has twice the light output as mine. Bigger screen you say these plv's can shoot up to a 30 foot screen.
  • 4_everyman
    4_everyman Posts: 50
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have an InFocus X1 that i got from Dell. Still setting things up, but in tests i've been looking at a 78-iinch diagonal picture projected onto a white wall. No screen yet, but the picture blows me away. It was a whole lot easier to justify a $950 projector than a multi-thousand dollar mega-huge plasma or RP TV.

Rgds,
    --pete
  • goingganzo
    edited October 2003
    Options
    i have seen the x1 and it is a great projector. but the rainbows drive me crazy. if i go dlp it will proabley with a mustang 2 chipset in it. but i might stick to the sub 3k am not posivitive yet.

with lcd prokector you have a sde
    and with dlp you get the rainbows.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2003
    Options
    with lcd prokector you have a sde
    and with dlp you get the rainbows.

I had the X1 for over a week before I sent it back, nice machine but the rainbows were a killer for me as well. Screen-door was identical between both machines. Both required a slight defocus to hide SD for close viewing (less than 1.5x's the screens width).

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.