Lsi25 Audition, Didn’t go well. Help please !

Options
tapeshc
tapeshc Posts: 135
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I am just stepping in to high end audio with a Rotel RB-1090 as amplifier, to start with and looking for Lsi speakers to go with it. Don’t have much knowledge !:confused:

I went to a dealer 150mi. from my place(courtesy Polk’s excellent marketing) as I don’t have a single dealer in Albany, NY area.:eek:

This guy has Lsi25s hooked up to a THX pioneer receiver and Sony CD player for two channels. Speaker cables were better than telephone wires. Wires going to speaker connector with plates connecting the other pair. Nothing going to LFE.

So here we go on his setting not and its not at all impressive. Bass is boomy, mid’s and highs acceptable but nothing amazing.

Tried another setting with crossover set to min. i.e. 60hz and volume 11 o clock. Just the same, nothing changed.

Then he had a set of Lsi7 and he hooked them up and they sounded just the way I imagined.

Is it true that if you turn off powered subwoofer on Lsi25 they should sound like Lsi9, if yes then that wasn’t the case.

:confused::confused:
Thanks

Tapesh
Post edited by tapeshc on

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited October 2003
    Options
    receivers usually arent that good for Lsi, that would be my guess. i wouldnt forget about a speaker just because it sounded bad on one audition. try to find another dealer.
  • rwrvpem
    rwrvpem Posts: 32
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have rt2000i's with powered subs. The first thing everyone tries to do is turn the sub volume way up. I have found that the sub volume is best around the 9:30 to 10:00 position. Otherwise they sound just like you said. Boomy and not all that good. You may want to check this out on the LSi's.

Good luck
    Rick
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Tapesh,
    your experience was consistent with many of the forum members here, when they tried to audition LSis in these so called authorized dealers. Most of them paired them with underpowered receivers that made the audition time useless and frustrating. I can't speak of LSi25, but the rest of LSis, I own them. So, the best advice I can give you is, Trust us! ;)

Actually, you can use those lousy environment to negotiate the price down. Tell them that LSis are boomy, unimpressive, and you just trying to relieve him from the burden of having them from their inventory. Therefore, they should sell them to you at 10% above cost...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You know, it's issues like this (the LSi dealer shortage) that I really wouldn't be totally shocked if Polk pulled the plug entirely on the LSi line, that is, unless CC would start taking them in.
    I mean, it's been what, about 2 years now, and the dealer network still isn't too much better than it was at first.