Bi-Wire Clarification. Gold Plates?

Options
Pauly
Pauly Posts: 4,519
Ok i have read a few configs on how to bi-wire. On my 70's i just have 2 lengths on xp cable 1 set on each post on the speaker, then to the back of the receiver on the single post. Now what purpose does the Gold Plates on the back of the 70's serve? They are currently on , should i taken them off? Will that not make the "bi-wire" not work?

Advise please

Spaz
Life without music would
Post edited by Pauly on

Comments

• bgaskins
    bgaskins Posts: 65
    edited October 2003
    Options
    By gold plates I assume you mean jumpers. I have not bi-wired, but I have read about it. You need to remove the jumpers. If you don not, there is no point in bi-wiring. Hope this helps. Also, you might want to do a forum search on bi-wiring. You will get so many hits it will blow your mind. Good luck.
    BG
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Yup, just remove the jumpers and you're biwired. Assuming you have a run of speaker wire to each set of posts.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Got it! Well i have been reading here and there about it but didnt come up on removing the jumpers unitl i came accross an old post. Then again i probably dod read it but did not realize they were jumpers. So what purpose do they serve as far as being on and off??
    Life without music would
  • bgaskins
    bgaskins Posts: 65
    edited October 2003
    Options
    As far as being on or off. The top set of posts is for your mid - highs, they need power, as well as the bottom post supplying your lows. So you bring the signal from the reciever and then you split it via the jumper to power the whole speaker. If you take the jumper off, and connect the top posts, no bass. If you connect only the bottom, no treble. This allows bi-amping, so you could have a separate amp power your bottom posts so your top ones get more power.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Simplified: By removing the jumpers, the signal sent to the speakers is separated between low frequency and high frequency at a crossover point allowing for cleaner delivery.

I'm sure someone can chime in to give you a more detailed explanation. ;)
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.