Emotiva Adcom and Parasound

Options
dfledezma
dfledezma Posts: 148
edited March 2010 in Electronics
So, again I have some questions. BTW I´d like to thank all your suggestions, the more I dig into this audio world the more doubts I have.

I was considering to buy an Emotiva Amp (XPA-2 or UPA-2) but now I realised I can get a new adcom GFA 5500 for 600 usd or a Parasound 2250 for 550 usd. I´m sure these are better options don´t you think?

I want to pair these with LSI7´s or 9´s. I still need to think about the preamp
Post edited by dfledezma on

Comments

• fbm211
    fbm211 Posts: 1,488
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ADCOM or parasound.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
  • dfledezma
    edited February 2010
    Options
    and, comparing adcom and parasound, what opinions do you have? at least for those model
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I would stay away from the ADCOM 5500 and actually look for an older ADCOM GFA-555. I've only heard one parasound and don't remember what model it was... but I preferred the tight bass slam, smooth detail and overall depth of the ADCOM. EMO doesn't stack up to a GFA-555 in any way but shear volume. (disclaimer: I've only directly compared an XPA-5 to my GFA-555, but it was dissappointing enough to keep me away from EMO forever) (not to start a flame war... other experiences may vary)
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Parasound or Rotel will be my next move...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Lowell_M
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You can get a used GFA-555 for less than $300. I'm listening to mine right now and ... mmmmmmm.... sounds good.

If you want to spend $600 there are other options, obviously. Not sure if you could get into a GFA-585 for that???
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • Lowell_M
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Parasound or Rotel will be my next move...

Have you heard an ADCOM on those SDA's John? I need to get my ears on a ROTEL some time as well. Although.. I don't think I will change my amp until I can move far up the food chain... which won't be for a while. Crossover mods and maybe a tube pre will come much sooner.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Parasound.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Parasound is the best of the 3, but the XPA-2 is an excellent amp.
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I have owned both Emotiva and Parasound amps (both 2 channel). The Parasound was more laid back and less dynamic to my ears compared to the Emotiva XPA-2. To be fair, it was an older Parasound. The Emotiva produced better controlled bass and was more pleasing to me. I can't make any comparisons to ADCOM since I have never owned one.

Lowell, It seems our experiences or tastes differ but I respect your opinion and appreciate your tact in expressing it.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Lowell_M wrote: »
    Have you heard an ADCOM on those SDA's John? I need to get my ears on a ROTEL some time as well. Although.. I don't think I will change my amp until I can move far up the food chain... which won't be for a while. Crossover mods and maybe a tube pre will come much sooner.

Never have been a fan of Adcom. Their rather pedestrian cosmetics never appealed to me. I would never have tried Carver were it not for the gunmetal finish. I understand that looks count for about "zero" when it comes to the sound.

I am always on the lookout for a hot score however, and if something like a Mcintosh MC7205 comes up for cheap I will be all over it like Homer Simpson on a jelly doughnut. ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Parasound unless you can get modified and upgraded Adcoms. Musical Concepts does a real nice job on upgrading and modifying the Adcoms. I owned both Parasound and Adcom and they are both good options. I can't comment on the Emo as I've never heard one.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Honestly, if your speakers are on the darker side or you just want ball breaking dynamics, go with the XPA-2.

If you want a truly neutral yet accurate amp that is very musical, go for the Parasound HALO A23. It doesn't have the bass of the XPA-2, but what it has is a smoothness that the XPA-2 can't touch.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    edited February 2010
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Honestly, if your speakers are on the darker side or you just want ball breaking dynamics, go with the XPA-2.

If you want a truly neutral yet accurate amp that is very musical, go for the Parasound HALO A23. It doesn't have the bass of the XPA-2, but what it has is a smoothness that the XPA-2 can't touch.

The XPA-2 sucked in my rig, I left it in for a week and had to pull it out and put the GFA-585 i got from Ben back in (I am now running the GFA-5802), it blew the Emo out of the water.
    But to each his own as we all have different gear. some mesh well together some don't has been my experience.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ^^^were you running the XPA-2 on the 1.2TL's?

• Toolfan66
    edited February 2010
    Options

Yep..
  • dekuda
    dekuda Posts: 756
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I see alot of Adcoms for sale on audigon and ebay and wonder why. maybe they just made more. I would lean towards Parasound ,then Rotel. from what I hear about Parasound the halo's are good but the new classics have been made cheaper as a fill in.Eventhoug price is high. Maybe some of the old Parasounds can be had for a good price now. Parasound owners chime in!
    BTW Which would tame down RTI12's and RTa9's. I am hearing the Parasound would do a better job with those than Rotels or Adcoms since they are a little brighter:confused:
    HT System
    Parasound Halo A51 Amp, Marantz AV 8003 Pre, Arcam FMJ CD36 cd player, Marantz 7007 BD/SACD player,Acoustic Zen Matrix IC's, Analysis Plus Crystal Copper Oval IC's, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables, B&W 703's Fronts, Center Martin Logan Motif hybrid, Surrounds DefTech BPX, 2 X DefTech Supercube Reference Subs, DSpeaker Antimode 8033 EQ.
  • rcrook317
    rcrook317 Posts: 280
    edited February 2010
    Options
    would u guys recommend xpa-2 w/ rti12s
    unless i find a steal,this is prob what ill go for.
    i figure if i absolutely dont like it i can always send it back
    fronts=rti12s(cherry)
    center=csi3(cherry)
    sub=psw125(cherry)
    emotiva xpa-2
    harmon kardon 354
    sony cdp
    ipod 8gb
    audioquest diamondback 1m
    "Maesto" straightwire cables
    pangea ac-9
    playstation3/120gb=blu-ray/media server
    monitor=lg 55inch lcd(1080p)
    TT Set-up=Pro-Ject RM 1.3
    Kenwood Phono
    bren1 Clamp
    Herbies Slipmat

"It doesnt mean that much to me,to mean that much to you"
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Yep..

Sorry Bro... by the powers vested in my by the SDA Nation, you are hereby ordered to surrender your membership card. Further, it is so ordered that you must surrender your SDA's to the proper authorities.

Please ship them to my address at your expense.

• Toolfan66
    edited February 2010
    Options
    rcrook317 wrote: »

With your setup I think the XPA-2 will be just fine, But I think you will find the lower end in the Adcom better. if you go with the Adcom I would go with the

GFA-5802
    GFA-585
    GFA-555

in that order, Really if your going to put out the money on the XPA-2 hold out on a nice looking GFA-5802 you will be very happy you did.
  • suprafantx
    suprafantx Posts: 249
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I will not use Parasound with LSi series speakers. Both are very laid back sound. I had Adcom 555SE and Emo XPA-5 and they both sound very much the same to my ears. When I compared 555SE and XPA-5, I only use 2 channel on XPA-5 and they both little bright. Parasound sounds great with Rti10 speakers.
    Living room
    Speakers: McIntosh XR100 Fronts, LSIM707 Fronts, LSIM 706 Center, LSIM 703 Surrounds, LSi/FX Surround backs.
    Player: Oppo 95.
    Amps: Bryston 4B SST, B&K Ref 200.7 S2.
    Pres: B&K Ref 50 S2, Paraound P5.
    Subs: Dual Rythmik F15HP subs.

Man Cave
    Speakers: Martin Logan Vistas.
    Player: OPPO 105.
    Preamp: B&K Ref 50 S2.
    Amp: B&K Ref 125.2 S2
    Sub: Rythmik F12.
    Sub management: SMS-1.
    Headphones: HD800, HD380, RS220, SRH-1840. Headphone amp: Woo WA2.
    Room treatment: GIK Room Kit #1.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2010
    Options
  • dfledezma
    edited February 2010
    Options
    suprafantx wrote: »
    I will not use Parasound with LSi series speakers. Both are very laid back sound. I had Adcom 555SE and Emo XPA-5 and they both sound very much the same to my ears. When I compared 555SE and XPA-5, I only use 2 channel on XPA-5 and they both little bright. Parasound sounds great with Rti10 speakers.

Another possibility I have in mind is to get Paradigm mini monitors. From what I´ve heard they´re a bit bright. So maybe is a better companion for the parasound, don`t you think?
  • bigred7078
    bigred7078 Posts: 477
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Parasound or the Emotiva. Adcom just doesnt do it for me.
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands
  • bigred7078
    bigred7078 Posts: 477
    edited February 2010
    Options
    dfledezma wrote: »
    Another possibility I have in mind is to get Paradigm mini monitors. From what I´ve heard they´re a bit bright. So maybe is a better companion for the parasound, don`t you think?

Mini monitors are a bit bright. Is this for a 2-channel system? If so I dont see the need for such a big power amp with these moderately sensitive speakers. I'd skip all the above and go for a nice integrated tube amp...that is, if its for a music system.
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands
  • dekuda
    dekuda Posts: 756
    edited February 2010
    Options
    suprafantx wrote: »

So is Parasound a better amp for taming bright speakers than Carver amps ?Such as my Carver TFM35X :confused:
    HT System
    Parasound Halo A51 Amp, Marantz AV 8003 Pre, Arcam FMJ CD36 cd player, Marantz 7007 BD/SACD player,Acoustic Zen Matrix IC's, Analysis Plus Crystal Copper Oval IC's, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables, B&W 703's Fronts, Center Martin Logan Motif hybrid, Surrounds DefTech BPX, 2 X DefTech Supercube Reference Subs, DSpeaker Antimode 8033 EQ.
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2010
    Options
    dekuda wrote: »
    So is Parasound a better amp for taming bright speakers than Carver amps ?Such as my Carver TFM35X :confused:

I am going to say if it does tame it I am sure it is very little, The RTi series is known for being on the bright side.

I have tried 4 different amps with my RTi's and even though they sound a little different they were still on the bright side.

Changing speaker cables made the best improvment for me with the RTi's.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Never have been a fan of Adcom. Their rather pedestrian cosmetics never appealed to me. I would never have tried Carver were it not for the gunmetal finish. I understand that looks count for about "zero" when it comes to the sound.

I am always on the lookout for a hot score however, and if something like a Mcintosh MC7205 comes up for cheap I will be all over it like Homer Simpson on a jelly doughnut. ;)

Well, that settles it. I'm bringing my Adcom 545 to this Indiana meet, and I'm going to show you how good this little 100 watt "wimp" can make a pair of SDA's sound.;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2010
    Options
    With your setup I think the XPA-2 will be just fine, But I think you will find the lower end in the Adcom better. if you go with the Adcom I would go with the

GFA-5802
    GFA-585
    GFA-555

in that order, Really if your going to put out the money on the XPA-2 hold out on a nice looking GFA-5802 you will be very happy you did.

I would go with those recommendations. Older Adcom's are better than the newer ones. Also the 565's can be tied together for SDA's.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2010
    Options
    rcrook317 wrote: »

I would recommend Carver or Sunfire
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • esowden
    esowden Posts: 55
    edited February 2010
    Options
    dekuda wrote: »
    I see alot of Adcoms for sale on audigon and ebay and wonder why. maybe they just made more. I would lean towards Parasound ,then Rotel. from what I hear about Parasound the halo's are good but the new classics have been made cheaper as a fill in.Eventhoug price is high. Maybe some of the old Parasounds can be had for a good price now. Parasound owners chime in!
    BTW Which would tame down RTI12's and RTa9's. I am hearing the Parasound would do a better job with those than Rotels or Adcoms since they are a little brighter:confused:

I'm a big fan of Parasound amps. Neither of mine strike me as a bright amp although the clarity is there. As far as bass response - I've done away with the subwoofer but I also upgraded my speakers. The Martin Logan Prefaces sound incredible with the 2125 as do the S4s with the HCA-800.

I've tried both amps with the Monitor 70s. Both opened the speakers up quite a bit. It was to be expected though - I was driving them with either a 50 watt or an 80 watt Denon receiver. Regardless of the speaker - the Parasounds seem to impart a warmer sound to whatever they're connected to.

Don't know if that helps but it's my experience and as always YMMV.
    Den
    Parasound 2100
    Parasound 2125
    Denon DCM-390
    LG BD390V
    Martin Logan Preface(x2)
    Denon AH-D2000

Bedroom
    Adcom GTP-350
    Parasound HCA-800II
    Panasonic DVD-S54
    Denon AH-2000