PS3 Game suggestions?

Options
coolsax
coolsax Posts: 1,824
edited February 2010 in Video Games
I'm about to order a PS3 and wanted some game suggestions - Bluray suggestions would be welcome too.

I'm open to older and newer games thanks.
Main 2ch -
BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
Post edited by coolsax on

Comments

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2010
    Options
    depends on what kind of games you like. I spend alot of time playing Modern Warfare 2, if you like first person shooters.

I recommend Valkyria Chronicles. Its very different and addictive. RPG/action with first person shooter elements. I bought a PSP partially because the sequel will be PSP only.
  • grif32
    grif32 Posts: 267
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Check you local Targets I just bought the PS3 250G on clearence for $244.98 yesterday. YMMV so its hit or miss now.

Uncharted 2 - Probably the best game out right now

Batmann AA - Great game. Tons of fun as well.

Ghostbusters - another fun game to play

God of War I & II collection - Some of the greatest games ever

Blu-Ray's:

Anything Disney/Pixar are stunning and great movies.

Dark Knight

District 9

"9"

So many to list.
    (3) PS3's, Xbox 360, (2) Wii's and Nintendo NES
    (2) Panny DMPBDT110 3D Standalone Players
    Panny 60" 3D Plasma TC-60ST30
    Panny 50" Plasma TC-P50G10
    Panny 50" 3D TV TC-P50GT25
    Denon AVR-891
    Harmoney One Remote
    Polk Monitor 70's,Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 40's
  • domflane
    domflane Posts: 653
    edited January 2010
    Options
    For shooters, look at Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 and 2. Great story for a shooter. Bioshock too, awesome game. I like Dragon Age and Oblivion for RPG's. Blu-ray? Star Trek was great and visually stunning, and I loved Inglorious ****, but that may be a matter of personal preference. My suggestion is get netflix, $18/ month for 2 blu's at a time plus instant streaming. Enjoy your ps3.

Dominic
    Home Theater
    RTiA5 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - PSW650 - Pioneer Elite SC-55 - Carver AV-505 - Sony 46" 120Hz - Monster HP 2400 - Xbox 360 - Playstation 3
    2 Channel
    Polk RTA 15TL - Harman Kardon HK3485 - HK DVD48 - Signal Cable IC's and speaker cables
  • coolsax
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Dragon age is definitely on my list... Anyone ever play Lair? I know its an older game but looked kewl a few years ago on a demo. I've also only heard great things about Little Big Planet and the original Resistance Fall of man.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+

TV 3.1 system -
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Little Big Planet is a great party/family game. It's a scrolling puzzle game where players often have to work together. Graphics are great, interface is good, and there's a lot of humor built in. Users can create their own levels and share them online.

I'm on my second playthrough on Dragon Age and find the non-player character AI pretty fun to program and have battles with. Especially for a mage who can sit back and just send the spells raining down while your party cleans up. Good story and lots of hours of gameplay especially if you do the side quests for the extra booty.

Also, +1 for Valkyria Chronicles. Sort of a playable Japanese Anime.

+1 for Uncharted 2. Especially if you can hook it up to a quality surround sound system for the uncompressed PCM.

And don't forget other older titles like Metal Gear Solid for the ps3. Lots to choose from depending on your taste.
  • rcrook317
    rcrook317 Posts: 280
    edited January 2010
    Options
    +1 on netflix,i use it alot...
    games? i got fite nite 4,madden 10,cod modern warfare 1.
    I love mod warfare and would get 1 or 2!
    fronts=rti12s(cherry)
    center=csi3(cherry)
    sub=psw125(cherry)
    emotiva xpa-2
    harmon kardon 354
    sony cdp
    ipod 8gb
    audioquest diamondback 1m
    "Maesto" straightwire cables
    pangea ac-9
    playstation3/120gb=blu-ray/media server
    monitor=lg 55inch lcd(1080p)
    TT Set-up=Pro-Ject RM 1.3
    Kenwood Phono
    bren1 Clamp
    Herbies Slipmat

"It doesnt mean that much to me,to mean that much to you"
  • TouchOfEvil
    TouchOfEvil Posts: 967
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Dragon Age is a great game. Demon Souls if you want a real tough rpg game.
    If you want a hack/slash but with a better setup try Ninja Gaiden sigma2.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I agree with the COD series. Modern Warfare 1 and 2 are great, and the online is pretty addictive as well. Blu Ray I would suggest is def. Dark Knight, one of the best I have seen. Congrats on your purchase, the PS3 will not dissapoint.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited January 2010
    Options
    With the Dark Knight and the walmart exclusive version of Transformers 2, you also get to see what IMAX shot footage is capable of on blu-ray. The scenes are very short, but they open up the letterbox bars to full screen and look stunning with the extra detail. For the Dark Knight, the IMAX footage comes during the bank scene at the start of the movie and several wide, cityscape shots later on. For Transformers 2, it comes in the forest battle scene and a few shots at the end in the desert. Both movies have a lot of great audio/video demo material for your new console.
  • Eric Preston
    Eric Preston Posts: 10
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Since this is a speaker manufacturer's site, I'm going to assume you like music and big sounds, so a really fun game that just recently came out is Brutal Legend. Lots of vintage heavy metal music, and a hell of a lot of fun to play.
  • AeR0
    AeR0 Posts: 102
    edited January 2010
    Options
    nhl 10
    uncharted 1 and 2
    modern warfare 2
    grand theft auto
  • coolsax
    edited January 2010
    Options
    so I ended up starting with the following two games:

Williams Pinball Hall of Fame (I love pinball and this game looks like its fairly realistic, I want to get a real pinball machine eventually but this looks like it'll tide me over)
    Resistance Fall of man

I also have a $35 credit to Best buy which I will likely used towards either Dragon Age or Brutal Legend or little big planet.
    Main 2ch -

TV 3.1 system -
  • ballen823
    ballen823 Posts: 110
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That Williams Pinball is the best. I just picked it up a couple weeks ago and it's like crack. Every time I fire it up I'm playing for at least 3 hours....just one more game.
  • coolsax
    edited January 2010
    Options
    that's what i'm afraid of ;).. for 18 bucks.. it seems like it might very well end up being the best bang for buck game the PS3 has to offer as much as i like pinball.. I've never been a huge fan of video pinball where there are all the video "extras" and insane physics, but all the reviews seems to point to this as a great simulation with almost real physics
    Main 2ch -

TV 3.1 system -
  • ballen823
    ballen823 Posts: 110
    edited January 2010
    Options
    impressions? or are you still playing that one last game?

it's everything you'd expect from playing in your local sub shop on your tv. i tried zen pinball over the weekend and it doesn't even compare - zen is video pinball.
  • coolsax
    edited January 2010
    Options
    actually i'm still waiting on everything to come in.. i ordered from amazon so i could get no tax and free shipping everything shipped this past weekend so hopefully it'll all be here by friday for this weekend :)
    Main 2ch -

TV 3.1 system -
  • coolsax
    edited January 2010
    Options
    every thing finally came in last night.. didn't want to get into resistance yet but the Williams pinball is a blast I can tell i'll probably spend many hours on it w/o even realizing it..
    Main 2ch -

TV 3.1 system -
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'd recommend:

Games: MLB 09 the show, Madden 10 and FIFA 10 for sports games. FIFA is butter smooth; probably the best soccer game I've ever played.

Shooters: Modern Warefare 2. Single player is fun, MP is incredible
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • jdwmap
    jdwmap Posts: 116
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Ratchet And Clank are a lot of fun.

My kids enjoy Little Big Planet a lot as well.
  • bevo
    bevo Posts: 306
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You can get socom for 12$ and cheaper used, and it is the best online shooter ever. Blows call of duty away. It's much slower paced and has much more teamwork involved.
    Denon 1909, want to upgrade for pre outs
    Fronts-polk RTi A5
    center-polk CSi A4
    Sides Polk FXi A6
    rears- polk rm8's
    sub-SVS pb-13 ultra
    Blue ray-ps3
    Panasonic plasma 50 inch
    Buttkicker(don't use or need it anymore since getting the Ultra)
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited January 2010
    Options
    coolsax wrote: »
    that's what i'm afraid of ;).. for 18 bucks.. it seems like it might very well end up being the best bang for buck game the PS3 has to offer as much as i like pinball.. I've never been a huge fan of video pinball where there are all the video "extras" and insane physics, but all the reviews seems to point to this as a great simulation with almost real physics

Went over to gamestop to pick this up today and to my surprise they've got it priced at $10. :eek: Looking forward to popping it in.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited January 2010
    Options
  • kaiserkreb
    kaiserkreb Posts: 16
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Dead Space was great, I had a lot more but most got mentioned. :D
    If you like mindless fun, Katamari Forever is bliss. Not for everyone though..
    Check out some of the psn offerings as well for cheap goodness. Pixeljunk Shooter is great, Super Stardust HD. There's lots of demos up, try a few and see what you think.
  • jwm2
    jwm2 Posts: 44
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Uncharted 1 & 2
    Dirt 2 (rally racing at its best)
    Army of Two 40th Day
    COD: MW2
    Warhawk (available for cheap used)
    Ratchet & Clank (any of the 3, tools of destruction was the best imo)
    Saints Row 2 (i didn't really like GTA4)
    Motorstorm Pacific Rift
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 823
    edited February 2010
    Options
    +1 for Warhawk. It's been around for two years (forever in game years) and still has a very large following. It is an online multiplayer only game, but is very well designed. Any weapon can overcome any other weapon, in the hands of a skilled player, so there's none of the "super weapon" kill-everyone stuff going on. There are rookie servers available for noobs, as well. (The green ones). I started playing a little over a year ago, and always come back to it after playing the latest FPS game-of-the-week. I prefer the player-vs-player strategy to player-vs-game designer scenario. The only downside is the fact that you will be starting late in the learning curve, and lots of players have been on the game for a couple years. The number one ranked player has been playing an average of 6.73 hours per day since inception (yikes!!) but you can play and have fun from your first few minutes. Check out the included training demos on the disc and you can be up and running soon. Send me a freind invite (rtart) and I'll add you to my buddy list.

It can be bought for about $19.
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • jwm2
    jwm2 Posts: 44
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I was shocked when i popped in warhawk yesterday for the first time in over 6 months and it didn't even need an update. Which is extremely rare these days. I popped in army of two 40th day just 3 days after its release and it needed a quite large update before i could play online. Even games you buy in the PSN store need updates before they can be played, i mean why don't they update the installation file? Kind of annoying, but oh well.
  • justsomarvelous
    justsomarvelous Posts: 13
    edited February 2010
    Options
    God of War Collection is SICK
    even though it's a ps2 remake it's probably the best PS3 game available right now IMO

if you haven't played God of War before...it's a must have