Recommended RMS Power and Peak Power Handling

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
which number do i use to see the max power i could give one subPeak Power Handling? Also, is it bad to give them more or less power than what is stated?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    Options
    well... what sub?

far as the polk momo 10 and 12...

i've been going with 650 rms / 1k peak on the 12 and 500+ rms / 800 peak on the 10.

if its another sub-- then u're gonna have to talk to somebody who has experience w/ said sub.

personally, i believe in general a good sub usually sounds and performs best w/ about 20% over its stated rms... yet peak power is usually "not negotiable".

but each sub is different --- there are some subs on the market that when the say "300 rms" they mean 300 -- no more.

others will say 300 and in reality the sub will do 6 or 7 or whatever.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2003
    Options
    i was thinking about purchasing an infinity 100.3dvc sub. First off, it says 275watts rms max and 1100(?) watts max. Any feedback about the decision to invest in one? Also, I would be giving it about 320 watts rms (rated specs on my amp) but not nearly its max. How would it handle that? Thanks
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I believe in matching RMS power.. normaly going over 100w wont kill your sub (unless its p.o.s.)... so your 320- wont have any ill effect on your sub... only time to pay attention to peak..is if your doing spl comps IMO..