DeusExa Posts: 491
edited February 2010 in Video Games
Post edited by DeusExa on

Comments

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Kid is wicked smart but too bad his iPhone unlock program (blackra1n) caused more issues than good when unlocking 3.1.2 on my iPhone. But the majority had good luck.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So what does the hack do?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Time will tell! With that kid, anything!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Pretty cool I just still do not understand why people have to hack something that works just fine. But hey it might do something good.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Pretty cool I just still do not understand why people have to hack something that works just fine. But hey it might do something good.

Same reason i have a bigass turbo on my 20 year old economy car. ;)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I smell tons of Online Cheaters.
    Life without music would
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Well that sux. That's what I've liked about online shooters on the PS3; I figured there'd be a ton less hackers than back in my PC counterstrike days....
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • wetcoast
    wetcoast Posts: 64
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Cool. I can't wait to make my PS3 look like that one!

Errr, why would I do that?
    Speakers: Polk LSi 25, LSiC, LSiFX
    Sub: Maelstrom X 18" DIY
    Amps: Sunfire Sig Seven, Behringer EP-4000
    Processor: Integra DHC-80.1
    Monitor: Sharp LC 60E77UN
    Sources: Motorola DCT-6416, PS3 Slim 250GB, Wii
    Filter: APC S15
  • DeusExa
    DeusExa Posts: 491
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Toxis wrote: »
    Kid is wicked smart but too bad his iPhone unlock program (blackra1n) caused more issues than good when unlocking 3.1.2 on my iPhone. But the majority had good luck.

lol. Let's see if I can beat him in the next couple years or so =0
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Blackra1n worked just fine on my iPhone, also running 3.1.2. Note I was only using to jailbreak, not unlock the phone.

I'm not sure about the ps3 hack, I'll have to look into it
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    Options
    To answer Ben's question above...the hack allows you to make the PS3 backward compatible so you can play PS2 games, etc...and it allows you to customize the SYSTEM that the PS3 uses....i.e., to replace Sony's OPERATING system with the system of your choice among other things. This makes the player more open-ended....meaning you're not stuck with Sony's system!

Now, if Sony were SMART...they would simply issue an upgrade that did all THAT and MORE and claim that they had this upgrade in mind before this guy hacked them so that would pretty much render the hack USELESS! And Sony would seem magnanimous in the process...?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I can't see the OP's link because of the firewalls at work. If the hack is only for backwards compatability and installing a secondary OS, I'm assuming it was for the Slim or the newer 80's, 160's? I have a first gen 80 and it already has all those capabilities.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited January 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    To answer Ben's question above...the hack allows you to make the PS3 backward compatible so you can play PS2 games, etc...and it allows you to customize the SYSTEM that the PS3 uses....i.e., to replace Sony's OPERATING system with the system of your choice among other things. This makes the player more open-ended....meaning you're not stuck with Sony's system!

Now, if Sony were SMART...they would simply issue an upgrade that did all THAT and MORE and claim that they had this upgrade in mind before this guy hacked them so that would pretty much render the hack USELESS! And Sony would seem magnanimous in the process...?

cnh

The PS3 already supports installing an alternate OS... there's an option for it in the menu. Also... the backwards compatibility is in the hardware (or lack thereof), not in the software.

The newer PS3s lack the emotion chip, which no hack can replace. Without that you can't play PS2 games. The newest PS3s have had the alternate OS option removed. It's different hardware, so the hack probably won't work on it for the foreseeable future.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • cnh
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The article 'claims' that this guy's hack allows you to play PS2 games on any PS3!

If you're right then he shouldn't be able to claim that! Personally, I don't know one way or the other....just rendering some of what I read in the piece...

Take a look and see what you think. Has he or hasn't he?

Here's a quote from an article:

""He said that "curiosity" and "opening up the platform" is what motivated him to hack the PS3.

"To tell you the truth, I've never really played a PS3," he said. "I have one game, but I've never really played it."

He said that opening the system could allow people to install other operating systems on their console and play homemade games.

He added that the hack would let people play older PS2 games on their consoles.

Sony originally allowed the PS3 to play PS2 games, but the ability was taken away on recent versions after the company controversially removed a piece of hardware.

Hotz admitted that this hack would also allow people to play pirated games as well.""

cnh

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2010
    Options
    nguyendot wrote: »
    The PS3 already supports installing an alternate OS... there's an option for it in the menu. Also... the backwards compatibility is in the hardware (or lack thereof), not in the software.

The newer PS3s lack the emotion chip, which no hack can replace. Without that you can't play PS2 games. The newest PS3s have had the alternate OS option removed. It's different hardware, so the hack probably won't work on it for the foreseeable future.

Uhh, not really. There's hardware emulation and software emulation. Yes the older PS3's had a hardware way of playing old PS2 games, but this hack could easily install an emulator in the SOFTWARE that allows you to play PS2 games. Just like you can download a NES emulator for your PC right now, despite there being no hardware compatability.

The reason Sony probably doesn't do this natively is because with software emulators there is always stuff you can't anticipate, so it won't work flawlessly and Sony doesn't want to deal with the support nightmare. At least, that's my guess.

On a personal note, I hacked my Wii the other day. Allows you to play backed up games, DVDs, download free emulators... a whole bunch of stuff. You have the system, why not use it to its full potential?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Same reason i have a bigass turbo on my 20 year old economy car. ;)

LOL you got me there :p
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • wetcoast
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Sure be nice if there was a hacked software upgrade to bring back SACD support to the slim
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Uhhh, my ps3 plays ps2 games already....and I didn't even have to hack it:)

cnh
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • cnh
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Point well taken but those PS3s like yours have not been around for a few years....most of us bought ours in the last 2 years or so...none of those can play PS2 games. I would suggest that the 'majority' of PS3 units out there were sold during this phase.

Some of you guys were just at the right place at the right time.

cnh

• wutadumsn23
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Some of you guys were just at the right place at the right time.cnh

This is very true, had no idea how good of a PS3 I had gotten until just recently when I saw all the stuf being taken out of the newer PS3's and the Slim.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• everpress
    everpress Posts: 862
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The article 'claims' that this guy's hack allows you to play PS2 games on any PS3!

If you're right then he shouldn't be able to claim that! Personally, I don't know one way or the other....just rendering some of what I read in the piece...

Take a look and see what you think. Has he or hasn't he?

Here's a quote from an article:

""He said that "curiosity" and "opening up the platform" is what motivated him to hack the PS3.

"To tell you the truth, I've never really played a PS3," he said. "I have one game, but I've never really played it."

He said that opening the system could allow people to install other operating systems on their console and play homemade games.

He added that the hack would let people play older PS2 games on their consoles.

Sony originally allowed the PS3 to play PS2 games, but the ability was taken away on recent versions after the company controversially removed a piece of hardware.

Hotz admitted that this hack would also allow people to play pirated games as well.""

cnh

You can play older PS2 games and PS1 games on most any machine through emulation software. Which is most likely what he's referring to, especially since he states "homemade games" which is often referred to as 'homebrew'.
    I've played a few PS1 games on my ipod touch, for example, but not using any physical disks, obviously. This will still not be a good replacement for the earlier PS3's that allowed more freedom with PS2 capability, more usb jacks, more solid hardware, etc, etc...
    I seriously doubt that his software hack allows for the use of physical PS2 discs... Then again, it looks like he did quite a bit of hardware modification, so who knows.

? Harmon Kardon AVR 55 (dead; replacing with Onkyo TX NR-616)
    ? Polk RTA 11TL's (FR and FL)
    ? Polk TSi200's (RR and RL)
    ? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Grado SR-60i Headphones
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? Mac Mini (as media server)
    ? xbox 360

• mini-me
    mini-me Posts: 70
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Why does PS3 need to be hacked? I think PS3 works pretty well out of the box. I can see he hacked PS3 into many pieces if that's what he means.
  • wutadumsn23
    edited January 2010
    Options
    mini-me wrote: »
    Why does PS3 need to be hacked? I think PS3 works pretty well out of the box. I can see he hacked PS3 into many pieces if that's what he means.

LOL, yeah it does look pretty beat up. All of the PS3's have different capabilities, less and less as they released newer models, which is how they got so "affordable" I have a first gen 80GB model, and it does everything "good" that the ones released after it don't do. Like backwards compatability, secondary OS installation, SACD playback, 4 USB ports, and flash memory readers. The hack allows for the first two I listed to be done to any PS3 as far as I can tell. Plus there is potential for a lot more to be possible with the hack, but I have no idea what, lol.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• kaiserkreb
    kaiserkreb Posts: 16
    edited February 2010
    Options
    LOL, yeah it does look pretty beat up. All of the PS3's have different capabilities, less and less as they released newer models, which is how they got so "affordable" I have a first gen 80GB model, and it does everything "good" that the ones released after it don't do. Like backwards compatability, secondary OS installation, SACD playback, 4 USB ports, and flash memory readers. The hack allows for the first two I listed to be done to any PS3 as far as I can tell. Plus there is potential for a lot more to be possible with the hack, but I have no idea what, lol.

-Jeff

I believe even the 80s had reduced PS2 compatibility from the get go. I'm pretty sure they removed the actual PS2 Emotion engine but left the GPU. Software emulation covers the system code. The 60s had full compatibility with both chips built in.
  • cnh
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Jeff above, can tell you that the 1st generation 80s have backward compatibility and only subsequent generations had the above hardware excised.

cnh

• wetcoast
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Here's a really good website for determining the capability of PS3's based on the model number/generation.

http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc180147566
  • kaiserkreb
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Jeff above, can tell you that the 1st generation 80s have backward compatibility and only subsequent generations had the above hardware excised.

cnh

Yes, it has it but I'm almost positive that the 80 giggers were done through a combination of partial hardware coupled with software emulation, not that it really matters all that much. The end result is that they played most ps2 games just fine but didn't have 100% success like the full hardware models.
  • wutadumsn23
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I believe you are right kaiser that the first gen 80's did rely on partial software emulation for their backwards compatability, and that there wasn't a 100% sucess rate, but every PS2 game I have ever tried in my 80GB has worked, so it has never been an issue for me. Bottom line is I love my PS3, and it will be a cold day in hell before I replace it with another Blu Ray player.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• kaiserkreb
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I believe you are right kaiser that the first gen 80's did rely on partial software emulation for their backwards compatability, and that there wasn't a 100% sucess rate, but every PS2 game I have ever tried in my 80GB has worked, so it has never been an issue for me. Bottom line is I love my PS3, and it will be a cold day in hell before I replace it with another Blu Ray player.

-Jeff

Agreed. I would love for mine to bitstream HD audio so I can see my pretty brand lights on my new amp but that's my only complaint, and I'm not buying a slim just for that. Mind you, I would buy a slim to keep the wear off of my 60 giggers optical drive to a minimum. I hear the slims are also a lot quieter too.
  • The 7th Taylor
    The 7th Taylor Posts: 8
    edited February 2010
    Options
    wetcoast wrote: »
    Sure be nice if there was a hacked software upgrade to bring back SACD support to the slim

Would be nice indeed but you'll need a hardware hack for that.

DVD-Audio support should be feasible in software though.