Electronics experts: Coaxial cable question > Audio Interconnects

Turbota
Turbota Posts: 255
edited October 2003 in Electronics
I would like to make my own set of RCA audio interconnect cables. A guy on another message board made the set shown below. They really look good!

interconnectsrg316bh.jpg

He used RG-316/U (50 ohm) Coax, however, someone else posted that RG-62/U would be a better choice. They said that the RG-62/U is a 93 ohm cable and has 1/2 the capacitance per foot of regular coax so it won't attenuate the highs as much, even on long runs.

I am confused. I saw a chart where it shows that RG-6/U is a 75 ohm Coax that is usually used in video connections (nothing mentioned about audio only).

RG-6QS is basically the same as this RG-6/U except that it is 'Quad-Shielded' and provides for better protection against radio interference and loss.

Bottom line .... There are so many different Coax cables, I don't know which one would be best for short-run 2 channel audio interconnects (patch cords).

Anybody know more about this than me?

Ron,
2-Channel Audio
Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
Post edited by Turbota on

Comments

• Turbota
    edited October 2003
    BTW, the link below shown a bunch of various Coax cables and there specs as it pertains to audio use.

Problem is: I don't understand what the numbers mean.

http://elec.chandra.ac.th/tipntrick/coaxial.html#TOP
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited October 2003
    Don't sweat the "coax." Most of your high-end interconnects are solid core copper wire in any number of configurations/gauges. Why not try to build your own using braided solid core? A design similar to the Kimber PCB (an award winner) can't be that hard to copy....just a thought.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    The coax of choice for DIY interconnects is the Belden 89259 cable. Specs below:

Conductor: 22 AWG stranded bare copper
    Nom. Capacitance: 17.3 PF/FT
    Dual shield: 95% bare copper braid
    Jacket: Black tint Teflon
    Insulation: Foam FEP (Teflon)
    Nom. DC Resistance: 15.0 ohm/M'
    Velocity of propagation: 78.0 %

You can buy (affordably) these pre-made from www.signalcable.com (analog 2)- mention you are a club polk member for a discount.

The Analog 1 is a neat coax design also, I'm not sure what specific cable it is made with.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    Thanks Russ, thats the cable I will use.

Now, if I can only find the Bentely Harris fiberglass cloth lined rubber sleeving, all coverd in Bentely Harris expandable sleeving that the guy used. I find other sleeving, but not the Bentely Harris. Not on Google Search either.

Ron,
    2-Channel Audio
    Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
    Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Partsexpress.com has an assortment of 'techflex' sleeves, I'm not familar with the 'Bentely' name.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.