Why do you need clips for your speaker wire?

Options
pbc74
pbc74 Posts: 63
Why can't you just connect bare speaker wire to your binding posts? Does it alter the sound that much? Or does it protect your wire or what?
Main system:

Fronts: Infinity Alpha 50
Center: Infinity Alpha 37c
Surrounds: Infinity Alpha 20
Receiver: Onkyo TS-XR607
Subwoofer: Pioneer S-DW1-K
Cable- Monster Cable XP

Bedroom Setup:

fronts- Polk R50
surrounds- Polk R30
center- CS1
sub- Sony 50 watt
AVR- Onkyo TSXR502
Cable- Monster Cable XP
Post edited by pbc74 on

Comments

• howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Connecters just make it easier to set up the speakers. Technically, the connectors could degrade the signal a little but it would be very difficult to hear the difference.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It's easier...much easier, especially if you use banana plugs
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pbc74
    edited October 2003
    Options
    thanks for the replies. Monster banana clips cost about $100 for enough to handle a 5.1 system on both ends of the wire. It doesn't seem worth it. How does it save time? I figure that by the time you get the clip fixed on, you could already have put the wire in the post the same way.
    Main system:

Cable- Monster Cable XP

Bedroom Setup:

fronts- Polk R50
    surrounds- Polk R30
    center- CS1
    sub- Sony 50 watt
    AVR- Onkyo TSXR502
    Cable- Monster Cable XP
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Just buy some bulk banana plugs from www.partsexpress.com , it won't cost as much as the Monster Cable.

Who was it in the forum that was getting good prices on clips? Anyone remember?

I find it more convenient to change things around by using banana clips. If I saved <1 minute using them over bare wire and turning knobs, then it is worth it to me.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2003
    Options
    My copper is nekkid. Bare wire at both ends.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mwhip
    mwhip Posts: 31
    edited October 2003
    Options
    7.1!!!
    2 R30's
    4 RT15i's
    CS245i
    Aiwa Sub
    Pioneer VSX-D912k
    Philips HDTV - 50PP9202
  • danielyu
    danielyu Posts: 10
    edited October 2003
    Options
    if you don't plan on switching speakers or unplugging your speakers for whatever reason, there's no need for banana plugs.... think about it, if you only need to connect them once, why spend $100 on banana plugs? use them to buy bananas =)
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2003
    Options
    banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

If...
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Well what good banana clips will do that bare wire wont is keep great pressure on the connection to the speaker terminal giving you maximum connection.. i'm sure it helps against corrosion keeping the wire sealed..Plus ya dont have to worry about the connection coming loose! Its easy to connect the speaker over and over without having to recut the wire and twisting it up and doing all that unsrewing and stuff... plus it just looks plain damn smart as well.

I have monster quick lock banana clips on all speaker wire ends. And i love them! Made my life easier plenty of times over with me switching things around moving speakers, changing connection to the sub and bi-amping.

so if your gona use banana clips if your speakers and receiver has binding posts to support them, look for the better kind that has springs in the neck of the banana to keep the connection strong as long as you use them.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have some screw type banana plugs sitting in a drawer right now. My wires are also nekkid at both ends.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited October 2003
    Options
    My wires are also nekkid at both ends.

You don't need to buy expensive wires (14 Ga. is Ok)place your amp besides your speakers as much as possible. Mine almost 2 feet away. The closer the better ;)

Har
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2003
    Options
    place your amp besides your speakers as much as possible. Mine almost 2 feet away. The closer the better

Yeah, but the farther away the amps are from the pre results in much longer more expensive interconnects. Wire is cheaper for the longer runs. Plus I like having all my gear on one rack rather than spread all over the room. Let alone also having to run extension cords for the amps so I can have them all plugged into my Monster.

It's a good idea for a 2-channel rig, but not for HT.

If...
  • pbc74
    edited October 2003
    Options
    thanks for all the replies.

So are you guys saying that clips can keep the copper from oxidizing?
    Main system:

Cable- Monster Cable XP

Bedroom Setup:

fronts- Polk R50
    surrounds- Polk R30
    center- CS1
    sub- Sony 50 watt
    AVR- Onkyo TSXR502
    Cable- Monster Cable XP
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Some believe that, but to do so they'd have to prevent oxygen from enterring, and everyday clips won't do that.

BTW, I use dual bananas on the amp and bare wire on the speaker end. Also my wire runs are all in the 35' neighborhood. It's a cost of having the elecronics in a separate room from the HT and 2 ch speakers...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited October 2003
    Options
    PBC, the connection using the bare wire through the opening in the binding post is as good as any unless you want the convenience of banana plugs because you're going to be frequently connecting and disconnecting the speakers for some reason. As far as oxidation, although copper oxide has a much higher electrical resistance than copper itself, oxidation on the outer surface of the end of the wire isn't harmful. The relatively small part of the wire in actual contact with the speaker terminal is what transmits the audio signal and power and the firmness of the connection between the two at that point prevents, or at least slows down any oxidation. If and when it does occur, the oxidation should merely be cleaned off or cut off and a fresh end stripped.
  • pbc74
    edited October 2003
    Options
    thanks Tour2ma

thanks John

That pretty much answers my question.
    Main system:

Cable- Monster Cable XP

Bedroom Setup:

fronts- Polk R50
    surrounds- Polk R30
    center- CS1
    sub- Sony 50 watt
    AVR- Onkyo TSXR502
    Cable- Monster Cable XP
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You're welcome... BTW, I use the bananas on the amp end for wire management to insure no wires touch.

John, I have stated what you did in your above post several times in the past in repsonse to oxidation concerns. It's a sound, practical approach.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • glemay
    glemay Posts: 574
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I've got bare wire at both ends, but the banana plugs do sound convinient.
    Main System:
    Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
    Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Nanner plugs are great, but I can never get them to stay on.....and I love to get away from the 16 awg terminals on the Adcoms. Holy crap what a PAIN!!!!!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2003
    Options
    also check out this thread. do some searches and get some fore input. read as much as you can until you get your grand dec.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11835

Spaz
    Life without music would
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by pbc74
    Why can't you just connect bare speaker wire to your binding posts? Does it alter the sound that much? Or does it protect your wire or what?

Actually, bare wire to binding post IS the ideal connection provided you have a tight connection. Terminations just make it a heck of alot more convenient, and if done properly result in negligible loss.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Duffman
    Duffman Posts: 51
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It also depends on your receiver/amp's back panel layout. My Onkyo has all of the speaker posts jammed so tight that by the time you've connected a couple it's like doing surgery to get the rest in using bare wire. I dropped the $ on banana plugs for the amp side and it's *well* worth it. YMMV