OMG! This might actually be working

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited October 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
My PSW650 and LSi9 that is. I haven't used my sub for 2ch listening for about 5 months. Every once in a while for the past month and a half I've been working very hard trying to get that sub to blend in nicely with the LSi. I even tried speaker wire connection and still couldn't get it to blend in with the 9's. I spent so much time trying to get it to sound right and pretty much gave up a few nigts ago and kept my fingers crossed for the PSW808. Today, I thought about trying for the last time and I finally got everyhing to sound right. Volume at 3, phase in reverse and x-over at around 55hz.

OK so can anybody give me anymore tips? This is for 2ch not HT.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Nice...

Maurice, I think you have just found the point at which the 650 is picking up where the 9's are "naturally" on their way out. Plus you are deep enough where the 605's output is truly non-directional.

Are you still running speaker lines via the 605?

Just curious with the above question. I really can offer no added advice, but will watch and see if anyone can...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    Tour,
    You're right about the x-over. The bass is now everywhere. I had it up to about 65-70hz before and it was still directional.

With the higher x-over setting I got more slam but was missing the low extension. Now it has less slam but putting out a lot more weight. No more peaky upper bass too. Before I was able to hear the 650 overlap the 9's on the bass. Now the transition from sub to mains is super clean. The sondstage sounds bigger too.

The sub is connected with RCA interconnects using a Y-adaptor on the pre. I lived with the speaker line set up for a few days and didn't like it.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    Sean,
    Yeah, it's hard work but well worth it.
    The sub is getting a full range signal from the ASL's pre out. The 650 is located between the TV and right speaker. You can see its location in my system showcase. I crawled around on my hands and knees with the sub on the sweet spot to find this location. The current location provides the deepest extension and smoothness.

Looks like you have another challenge waiting when you get the new sub:).

Maurice
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    ...mating a KLH15'' sub with my neighbors pair of LSi-9's. It took a lot of work, but eventually it happened....

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You crackpot.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2003
    ...mating a KLH15'' sub with my neighbors pair of LSi-9's. It took a lot of work, but eventually it happened....

Did you set it up with your good eye open, or closed?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A LOT of work?

What did you do? Sit there and turn the gain and xover knob slowly until it was only slightly un-bearable?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    Sean,
    LOL The dog and fish are the only witness to my weird animal behaviour in the mancave:D.
    No girl friend. Having too much fun with tubes right now:).

Hey Russ,
    I saw your post on the Flea Market. Glad to hear you're enjoying the new pre. So when are we going to hear about you new toy? Did it come with the Ei tubes like the pics you posted? I'm using a JAN GE 5751 in place of the 12AX7 and switching between Mullard and RFT 12AU7(ECC82). I have a pair of Ei Elite Gold ECC83 but haven't tried them out yet.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    Well, I'm having so much fun with them that I don't think about girls while listening. When I'm at school it's a different story. There's two girls I really like there. One in my math class and the other in psychology. Once I make up my mind, organ is going in for the attack.

Don't worry...The tubes only goes in the amp/pre or the tubes boxes:).

Why is it a mancave? Let's see...the basement is pretty much my room. I don't sleep in the bedroom. You won't find me anywhere else around the house.
    I'm 21 and I've been into audio for 9 years. I think my rig can qualify as a mancave. The "kids playhouse" was many years ago when I was using a Technics receiver and Kenwood towers:).

Maurice
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    Aaah Damn it Sean!!!!!! I wouldn't let any female body fluids near those tubes! Well, depends how much I love her. Only girls that I would consider to be a perfect Mrs. Organ can have sex with me in the "playhouse":D.
    It would be nice to have both at the same time, but they're just not that type. These are the kind of girls you'd want to treat like a queen. Ok, I'll call it playhouse until I get one of them beautiful ladies:).

It's normal to enjoy music as much as women or sex. The part of your brain that reacts to pleasure, sex and certain drugs also reacts to music. Yeah I know, I watch too much Discovery channel:).

Maurice
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    Hmmm I'll think about that. She better bring the music though. I don't think she'll enjoy metal, classical or opera while doin it. The only music I have that could pass for sex music is probably Sarah Brightman.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Somebody get this boy some Enigma... STAT...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • setzer808
    setzer808 Posts: 173
    edited October 2003
    give him 20 mg's of Barry White and 2 Issac Hayes tablets asap!
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
    Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
    Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
    Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    No thanks...Weed is good enough to get my juices going:).

Maurice