Denon 3801 vs Onkyo TX-SR800

Options
brentman0110
brentman0110 Posts: 87
edited October 2003 in Electronics
Which is the better receiver for the money? both go for 800 or so on ebay.
Post edited by brentman0110 on

Comments

• paymontana
    paymontana Posts: 234
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I had bad luck with the onkyo 800. Just had to send it back. Check out the 3802 @6thave.com. They are a cert. denon dealer. Order the 3802. they were out of stock so they were shipping the 3803 for 688.00. Check out the 3802 thread in the flea market.
    "It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ****."
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I second that thought, try and pick up that model from 6th Ave. It is a steal at that price. Otherwise, stick with Denon, its just a personal thing with me and Onkyo. There is no real data I can offer you about why.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I believe all Denon's are made in the states, which is semi rare for electronics. The 800 is only 100wpc @ 2 channels driven. The 3803 is 110wpc all channels driven, according to its specs. It is also equiped for hdtv and expantion. I am not sure the 800 is.

CJ
  • brentman0110
    brentman0110 Posts: 87
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I noticed that the Onkyo is THX select certified and the Denon 3803 is not. Is that really anything to care about? Is the denon still a better receiver?
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    THX is neither good nor bad from what I can tell. I just means it has been tested and meets the requirements (whatever they might be) set by the lucas ltd. film company. IMO it is just a marketing technique. Does that mean the onk that is thx will sound better than your kids little Fischer Price stereo, THAT ISN'T THX . Absolutely! On the other hand it doesn't mean that the onk800 thx is going to sound better than a 5,000$ brand x system that isn't THX. I would lend the THX deal very little weight. Especialy when it comes to a quality product line like Denon.My guess would be the folks at Denon didn't see it nescesary to have it tested.

Here is another indicator. If you stil want the onk800. I just sent my brand new one in to fixed through warranty. I am having them factory seal it for resale. If you want it . I will sell it for 600$.
    It will carry a full one year warranty. It will bo totaly refurbed. If not it is going to Ebay.

CJ
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2003
    Options
    THX is a can of worms? No it really does not a make a difference in this case. Why do they cost the same? Because they are both VERY comparable recievers. IT all comes down to DETAILED features. I have owned 4 Onkyo's and still have three of them and do not a have a single complaint.

The Denon AVR-2803 and Onkyo TX-SR701 are the $800 models offered by Crutchfield - Really should buy these units from a certified dealer. Just compare, for staters the Denon is 7 channels and the Onkyo is 6 channels. It is a matter of what your wanting.