Purchasing from Internet site

Options
gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited October 2003 in Electronics
http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/default.asp

Has anyone ever purchased from this site? Has anyone ever purchased from any internet site?

I am shopping to buy a receiver, as some of you know. I have decided on the Onkyo TX-SR601. I was all set to get it from CC at a sale price of $450. I then found this site today, so I called them and got a price of $398. And free shipping.

So I asked the operator if they are an Authorized Reseller and they are, they are listed on Onkyo's website.

So, forum friends, is this too good to be true? Am I missing something? If anyone knows anything about purchasing components over the internet, lets hear it.

Thanks,
Greg
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    In my opinion it is not worth 52 bucks if somethings goes wrong and you have to ship it back and they take their sweet time to fix or exchange it. Unless it is a reputable dealer like svs. Personally I like knowing I can go back and return it if something goes wrong, you can speak to them face to face. Just my two cents.
    Graham
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey Greg,
    I have purchased several items online and never had a problem. Being that Onkyo lets them sell their products probably says a lot about the company, most companys won't let their products be sold online unless they are sure the customer is taken care of.
    Other companys that I have used Crutchfield, Audio Advisor, and Sound Distributers. I need and inexpensive 6.1 /100watts for upstairs, looks like a couple of good deals.
    Good Luck , Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I just ordered and received a Denon 3803 from 6ave.com for $649. They were selling 3802 for that price but ran out so they upgraded all the orders to the 3803. I was a bit suspicious but placed the order anyway. They are an authorized Denon dealer (checked them out on Denon dealer locator). Everything came in great shape and unopened. I would definitely order from them again.
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • deano41
    deano41 Posts: 20
    edited October 2003
    Options
    i purchased a h/k receiver from ecost delivered for $400 canadian from ecost ( they have a brutal return policy, they wont even take h/k products back even if they are doa, you have to return to harmon kardon) but there was a clearout of h/k receivers at futureshop and with taxes it came to $815 so i took a chance and bought it online, the receiver works well, so i took the $415 i saved and put it towards my new rti 70s that were clearance at futureshop new in box for $510, i told my wife that it worked out that i almost got the speakers for free, she couldnt understand the rational behind this, women!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Don't forget that with CC you can upgrade within a year if you so choose. I think $52 is worth the flexibility and customer service.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Tend to agree.... while I've mail ordered, web ordered, ebayed, etc., it's been to save hundreds, not tens.

I'd look to CC in this case and take a shot at negotiating in a couple DVD's or an IC to close the cost gap...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Shizelbs
    Don't forget that with CC you can upgrade within a year if you so choose. I think $52 is worth the flexibility and customer service.

If i'm not mistaken you can only upgrade Home Speakers within a year, well only around here. Anyone know for sure?
    Life without music would
  • gmorris
    edited October 2003
    Options
    What do you mean upgrade? I called my local CC & asked if I could return some speakers to get a more expensive pair, and they said that I could only have returned them within 30 days.

I'm guessing returning & upgrading must be different. I've never heard or read anything about upgrading. Sounds interesting.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Here is their policy. It is for home audio speakers only...
    http://www.circuitcity.com/cs_contentdisplay.jsp?c=1&b=g&incat=11167
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gmorris
    edited October 2003
    Options
    That trade in policy is awesome!!

I just called the local CC, and those weasels are still selling RTi70's for $350 each. If I can get those guys to come down a couple hundred for a pair, I'd like to "upgrade" my R30's.