psw650, How should I hook it up?

Options
sperino
sperino Posts: 30
I just bought the PSW650- does anyone else have one? How do you run yours? Through the LFE or the dual jacks?
I understand that you can't use the varible cross over with the LFE, but is that necesasry if I have towers in the front and bookshelves in the rear? I want to minimize distortion.

Anyone?:confused:
Post edited by sperino on

Comments

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Don't have an answer here, but I wanted to share this anyway: A while back I had a Polk PSW350. I tried both the LFE input (using single plug cable on both ends) and the left and right (using a y-splitter) RCA inputs on the sub. Interestingly, the latter option resulted in much stronger, fuller output. It's possible that I could have achieved same quality performance by merely adjusting the gain on the sub, but being the blockhead that I am, I just decided to run the sub with the hotter option. Eh, whatever.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have a PSW 650 & its great! I have mine connected through LFE, & the reciever crossover set to 80 & front speaker set to small. I also have towers in the front. The 650 blends well! I do not have a great location for my 650 but trial & error I think its positioned in the best spot I can find. I know if I had a larger room with more space to move the 650 around it probably could sound even better!
  • sperino
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back guy's. I have also tried both hook ups and found that double conection to the sub is more room filling. However, with a single connecton it seems that the bass grumbles a little harder. I guess it's just a matter of taste.
    Certain movies like TOO FAST TOO FURIOUS can be over welmingly punchy with the single connect. While other movies like the Matrix sound superb.

By the way EZC, have you placed your sub at least 6 inches from the wall? I've found it made a hell of a difference in my living room.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have the 505. It worked best for me by running speaker wire from the receiver (Onkyo 700) to the sub, then running wire from the sub to the L/R fronts. This way, when I listen to any source, the subwoofer produces bass, rather than just when LFE decides to feed the ".1" channel.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Even with the pre-out option, my subwoofer is available at any time, not just on LFE. I havn't found a receiver yet that doesn't allow that option.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Interesting, I'll have to revisit the Onkyo manual. Maybe I have misinformed myself. :confused:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Polkthug - Well, I can't speak for every AVR, but you know what I mean. Yea, let me know what that manual says. Perhaps another Onkyo owner can drop some information on us both. The Sony lets you choose the subwoofer in 2CH or not at all, its user preference.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    sperino,

There are reasons for your observations.

First, y-splitting to the double inputs applies the same voltage signal twice. The result is a 3 dB gain in input signal and, within the limits of the sub and for the same sub amp setting, a 3 dB boost in output. It will sound fuller.

So yes, L&C, you might get the same reproduction if you increased the sub's gain.

Second, the LFE input does bypass the sub's filter. The reason it may have sounded "punchier" when you used this input is yoiu may be double filtering. If you are managing bass at your AVR, i.e., have the cross-over set there, and have the sub's filter set to less than maximum, you are double filtering when using the line inputs. You don't want this...

Last, I'm sensing in a couple of posts a lack of system calibration. You may want to consider doing this, if you have not done so.

EDIT: I se you are working with Doc over in the Sub area... You're in good hands there...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • sperino
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Tour2ma,

Allow me to get a little more indepth about my system set up. Because, I really don't feel that I have a grip on all my options.

Avr: Yahmaha RXV2090 (AC-3 ready only)
    Digital Processor : DDP-2
    DVD: JVC-D723 (Progressive)
    Sub: PSW650

1. An optical chord goes from DVD to Digital Processor

2. Main, Center and Souround audio cables go from Digital Processor to (AC-3 ready) 5.1 input jacks of the reciever.

3. Sub audio cable goes from Digital Processor to PSW650's LFE (or Dual Jacks.)--Not to reciever. I can't plug it into the reciever because there is only one "low pass" input on the reciever's pannel for the entire system.

Therefore, by hooking the Psw650's cable to the reciever, I completely bypass my digital processor.

I guess I could use a y-adaptor. Is that safe? Is that efficient?

By the way, I do't believe I have a cross-over option on my AVR or my processor. Maybe it's called something else or I'm not looking for it in the right place. My equipment is old, but at one time it "was" flagship material. So hopefully there's a way to compensate somehow.

GeeezZZ...what a mouthful. Can ya throw me a bone?
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    OK, that's a little more complicated than most rigs 'round here. And please understand that I am not familiar with your AVR and DDP. I take it the AVR is an older Pro Logic unit?

First, you do not want to Y together two sources...

What are you using the AVR's low pass input for? Again ignorant here, but it would seem that this would be where you'd want to route the DDP's ".1" output. Then you'd take the AVR's sub-out to the sub. Seems logical, which does not mean it's right...

Possible the DDP has fixed cross-over point. Maybe around 80Hz. And it should have some settings flexibility, e.g., sub "yes/ no". If manuals are unavailable, or just not helpful, hopefully a call to the manufacturer will pay dividends.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • sperino
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Well lets talk about that "low pass" input for a second...oh yea, I can't find one- just my luck!
    All that I have that labels "low pass" is in the output section.
    It is grouped together with the rest of the speaker output jacks, front ,center and surround.

My digital processor does have a few compromiseable options such as "4 LFE" which gives the options of "Bass SWFR" or Bass MAIN" or "Bass BOTH". I have elected the "Bass SWFR" option. Perhaps as you've mentioned, this option delivers a needed cross-over effect.

Also an "LFE Level" which available options include "0db and below." But I figure this has more to do with output level, wouldn't you say?

Please don't appologize for any ignorance. YOu probably know more about my reciever than I do.
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited October 2003
    Options
    PolkThug, as Doro indicated, as long as you use the regular stereo mode on your Onkyo when you're playing 2-channel sources, the sub will get the low bass from the speakers set small as long as the sub is set yes. If you would happen to use the direct or pure modes for those sources, the sub gets no bass.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    OK, we'll both quit apologising...

OK, got the bass output...

Agree that Bass Subwoofer brings in a fixed cross-over and effectively puts your mains to "small". Bass BOTH would be the equivalrent of Sub - Yes and Mains - Large, in today's AVR's.

Also agree the sub level is for adjusting the output to the sub.

Do you have sources other than the DVD/DDP? If yes, are they inputted directly to the AVR? is the sub in play with other sources?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• sperino
    edited October 2003
    Options
    3. Sub audio cable goes from Digital Processor to PSW650's LFE (or Dual Jacks.)--Not to reciever. I can't plug it into the reciever because there is only one "low pass" input on the reciever's pannel for the entire system.

Therefore, by hooking the Psw650's cable to the reciever, I completely bypass my digital processor.

Inotherwords, no. The only sourses that the AVR's "low pass" feeds to are non-digital sources. Unelss ofcourse I go straight from my DDP to my PSW650. Which as I've indicated above will completely bypass the AVR. 'Tis my current set up.
    I may not have answered your question. Let me re-read!

I'm considering connecting my Infinity BU-1 (original sub) to the low pass and using it exclusively for other than digtal reprodution.

Also, my DDP has additional menu's which allow me to set the speakers to the appropiate size, aside from the two menu's I'v already discussed with you. Per the Docs perscription, I have already set them to small.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2003
    Options
    i have to apo-lol-gise:D

Evil twin:p
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Henry,
    Go to your room.. ;)

sperino,
    Don't think you understood my question, but think I figured out from answer you gave...

Sure you can go with second sub, but...

One sure way I think you can get the 650 in play for all material is to wire it up the Polk way, i.e., speaker runs to the sub then from sub to mains. Then set the DDP to Bass Main and use the sub's filter to adjust the signal pass to the mains.

But if you want to stay with the line level feed to the sub, AKA the Club Polk way, I think this might do it.
    DDP set to Bass Main
    AVR set to sub yes
    AVR's low pass to sub
    Just depends on the AVR's crossover capabilities...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• sperino
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Well my friend, i think we finally broke ground! I did as you said with the exception of switching the BASS on the DDP to "MAIN".
    Instead, I kept it on "SWFR". Surprisingly, the sub effects are better than ever. I still can't understand why, because the sub out from the DDp is cableless. Who knows, who cares, I'm happy.
    You've been a great help. Thanks for your patients, assistance and persistance! What a triumph!
  • sperino
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Now that we've got the main challenge behind us, maybe one day we can figure out how to connect the BU-1 as well. :o
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Great... Exactly what did you do? Speaker runs to sub, or line level from AVR?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• sperino
    edited October 2003
    Options
    PSW650's Line level to AVR's low pass. But instead of swithching DDP's cross-over to "MAIN" I kept it on "SWFR". Still doesn't make since to me how it works. But it does!

"A road less traveled" "...and that has made all the difference."
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Try the DDP set to "Bass MAIN" as I don't think you are getting LFE to your sub as you are now.

ANd you'll need to explore your AVR settings a bit to see what capability you have there.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying your set up more.

And adding the second sub is easy. Couple options to explore there once you finish tweaking what you have.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• sperino
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I did as you recommended. The bass does have a stronger effect in this mode. However, I must turn the 650's output even lower because of how loud it gets. On a scale of 1 to 10, I have it set to 4. But I am using the 3db option on my 650 for additional grumble.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I think you are now getting it all... nice job..

Calibrating by ear can be sufficient for enjoying your rig. However, long term, you may want to consider a Radio Shack analog SPL meter (~$35) and a calibration disc such as Avia's or Video Essentials...

Meanwhile enjoy...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• sperino
    edited October 2003
    Options
    NOW!!!! Any thoughts on how to connect my BU-1?

I've got a feelng that in about a week my neighbors will tell me where I can stick it!!!
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Been saving that one... easy...

Don't know how strong your BU-1 is, but you might try using the DPP's sub out to it. It'll add to your DVD enjoyment, but not music, where it's not really needed anyway. You'll just need to set the DPP to "Bass BOTH"...

Do be aware that two bass sources do complicate bass management. Usually ends up best to stack them in the same location... but play with it...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• sperino
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Interesting, I thought possibly the opposite side of the room would make a nice place. I will definitely do some moving.

The BU-1 is not the largest cabinet. It's a 10in, but you can almost fit two in my 650.

I tell you what though, along with my dated AVR, it's almost like part of my family. And will still boast a might roar if needed!

I better stop now, I'm starting to get teary eyed:rolleyes:
  • sperino
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    I think you are now getting it all... nice job..

Calibrating by ear can be sufficient for enjoying your rig. However, long term, you may want to consider a Radio Shack analog SPL meter (~$35) and a calibration disc such as Avia's or Video Essentials...

Meanwhile enjoy...

I suppose the directions will be self explanatory?
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Semi... but there are helpful threads here. Starting with:
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12930
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli