QOTD: What would you do if you had a million dollars?

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,707
edited January 2010 in The Clubhouse
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?

Me?

I walk by these homeless people every day on my way home from work. They just showed up in the past 6 months. They don't look like the typical homeless person you see in Philly with some kind of drug/alcohol problem or mental illness. They look like "a regular joe down on his luck".

Well yesterday there was an old couple out there. Well, not really old, probably in their mid to late 50's. There were two women and a man talking to them and giving them food. I overheard them say they lost their house because he lost his job and they aren't old enough for social security benefits yet or something.

It made me think. If I had a million bucks, I'd buy a chunk of land, maybe 10-15 acres. Then I'd buy trailers and park them on that land and set them up with sewer, water and power. Then I would start rounding up some of these folks who got the short end of the stick and put them up in my trailers until they could get back out on their own again. Or, once they got back on their feet, charge them rent to stay. I mean, it's not much but I could stretch a million bucks a long way doing something like that. Once it was established and people were getting helped out, additional funding through grants and charitable contributions would be fairly easy to come by.

Maybe that's me "looking for attention" again, :rolleyes: I dunno. But if I had a million bucks, I'd probably do that. I have all the stuff I need so I wouldn't really need the money. I mean a Ferrari would be spectacular but I think helpin' some of those people out would be better.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2010
    You'd probably get sued or something ridiculous, but that's a pretty good idea. I'd be curious to see if you ACTUALLY did it if you came across a million bucks, but hey, it's just a thought experiment.

Me, I'd be a little more selfish. Buy myself a reasonable house, help my family pay off any debts, put away a good chunk for my niece and nephew for college.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2010
    Well, I'd buy you a K-Car.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited January 2010
    I'd BUY a K-car, and make it fast. Just 'cause.

But seriously? I'd probably finish my Celica. Finish my MX6. Buy another beater. Hit as many car shows, competitions, and meets as i could across North America. Ship the Celica over to Germany, run the Ring.

Maybe buy an amp, and a new CDP.

Keep the rest to live off of just like i do now for the rest of my life.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2010
    Throw one Badass Polkfest!

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2010
    A million bucks? I'd sell two houses, build one....buy a pair of Quad 2905's and a VPI TNT turntable, Manley Steelhead....then give the rest to TLW.

Oh, I'd say we'd take an around the world vacation...basically spend 200K on trips/toys/house....put the rest up.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2010
    Invest half and spend the other half on this...it's only the most sexy car on the planet!

Aston-Martin-V12-Vanquish-wallpapers-2.jpg
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Jstas
    edited January 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Well, I'd buy you a K-Car.

A nice Reliant automobile?

But I want a green dress!

But not a real green dress, that's cruel!

• Jstas
    edited January 2010
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    You'd probably get sued or something ridiculous, but that's a pretty good idea. I'd be curious to see if you ACTUALLY did it if you came across a million bucks, but hey, it's just a thought experiment.

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence.

I'm probably underestimating the costs but I know I would at least buy a large parcel of land and a few trailers to start the idea out and see how it goes. It might work, it might fail miserably. At least in the end I have a gigantic pile of land either way.

So if the trailer thing doesn't work out, pave a racetrack and go nuts with that Ferrari I mentioned.

• anhchungdoan
    anhchungdoan Posts: 760
    edited January 2010
    I will buy Emo out and have them redesigned without the LED lights and give to every homeless shelter a nice set of EMO H/T. EMO-H-LESS.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2010
    I don't know him personally, but I'd help BEN out with his need and then I would look at my families' financial future and then go on some trips if there was anything left which I guess there might be. ;)

I would also pay him to do my cross-overs too.:D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • everpress
    everpress Posts: 862
    edited January 2010
    I'd pay off my current obligations and invest to make sure that no one in my immediate family is ever in debt again.

Then I would continue to look for work in my field, because I love what I do. And When you are at "0" on the debt-o-meter, you're about $25,000 better off than the average college grad and $150,000+ better off than the average home owner.

That freedom is real wealth.

? Harmon Kardon AVR 55 (dead; replacing with Onkyo TX NR-616)
    ? Polk RTA 11TL's (FR and FL)
    ? Polk TSi200's (RR and RL)
    ? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Grado SR-60i Headphones
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? Mac Mini (as media server)
    ? xbox 360

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2010
    Pauly wrote: »
    Throw one Badass Polkfest!

Pauly

I'd try to make that one!:D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2010
    Put in all in annuities and sit back....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2010
    I'd put it all in EMO stock.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited January 2010
    everpress wrote: »
    i'd pay off my current obligations and invest to make sure that no one in my immediate family is ever in debt again.that freedom is real wealth.

+ 1,000,000
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2010
    Jstas wrote: »
    A nice Reliant automobile?

But I want a green dress!

But not a real green dress, that's cruel!

:p

Seriously...I'd probably bank it in a way that I could try to live off interest. Although I couldn't stop working I don't think because a million bucks isn't what it once was and interest rates suck these days.

I wouldn't go on a spending spree, though. I'd get all bases covered and live comfortably.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited January 2010
    :p

Seriously...I'd probably bank it in a way that I could try to live off interest. Although I couldn't stop working I don't think because a million bucks isn't what it once was and interest rates suck these days.

I wouldn't go on a spending spree, though. I'd get all bases covered and live comfortably.

Amen to this brother!
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited January 2010
    People on my street just recently won the Mega-Millions. Their take home is 66 Million. Of the things they claimed they would be spending their new fortune on... none included cleaning up their F'n house.

They want to open up a seafood restaurant and "employ the unemployable" Mmmmmm... I want to eat there. Now that the cat is out out of the bag, it turns out these folks ran homeless shelters into the ground and owe Suffolk County roughly 800K. At this point, they have no intention of paying that debt. I hope they leave the neighborhood. It will be good for them, and good for everyone else to have the "Klopek" house renovated.
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited January 2010
    A million does not go that far anymore. First off you'd have to pay about 48% off the top. There goes the Aston/Ferrari/Lambo and so on..........
    If it were a million dollars after taxes I think that would set you free, so to speak.

Myself
    I'd finally buy a nice pair of monitor speakers.
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited January 2010
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?

I"d rent a place & buy the best band I could get & throw the biggest free party for all my friends........ hmmmm no wonder i'm in debt DOH
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2010
    m00npie wrote: »
    People on my street just recently won the Mega-Millions. Their take home is 66 Million. Of the things they claimed they would be spending their new fortune on... none included cleaning up their F'n house.

The biggest mistake people who win millions of dollars in the lottery make is pissing away the money thinking they'll never run out. They don't realize that they need to pay taxes on all of that money.

The best thing to do is try to live off the interest and not give beggars your money. If you want to be charitable, and I think you should be, do so anonymously. Heck I'm like that now and I'm not a millionaire.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2010
    Did m00npie just make a 'Burbs reference? **** yeah.
    As for my cool mil... hookers and blow. Maybe set up a monkey jousting tournament.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited January 2010
    NJPOLKER wrote: »
    A million does not go that far anymore. First off you'd have to pay about 48% off the top. There goes the Aston/Ferrari/Lambo and so on..........
    If it were a million dollars after taxes I think that would set you free, so to speak.

Myself
    I'd finally buy a nice pair of monitor speakers.

Not in Canada:D

I'd pay off all our debts. Buy a new house and let my bro or sis move in to our current home. (I'd charge them a little rent say 500 mth to teach them/ maintain responsibility)(they are both younger than I)it would also cover property taxes and such. We'd buy a new house and 2 vehicles. Pay off my moms mortgage and buy my mother in law a condo. We'd travel and invest about 250-500K. I'd still work
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2010
    Willow wrote: »
    Not in Canada:D

Pretty sure you guys still pay taxes up there, no?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited January 2010
    Pretty sure you guys still pay taxes up there, eh?

Fixed! ;)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2010
    They probably pay more, although I'm sure we're catching up. Sad to say, for both of our countries. :(
  • Willow
    edited January 2010
    Pretty sure you guys still pay taxes up there, no?

[edit] Income not taxed
    The following types of income are not taxed in Canada (this list is not exhaustive):

gifts and inheritances;
    lottery winnings;
    winnings from betting or gambling for simple recreation or enjoyment;
    strike pay;
    compensation paid by a province or territory to a victim of a criminal act or a motor vehicle accident*;
    certain civil and military service pensions;
    income from certain international organizations of which Canada is a member, such as the United Nations and its agencies;
    war disability pensions;
    RCMP pensions or compensation paid in respect of injury, disability, or death*;
    income of First Nations, if situated on a reserve;
    capital gain on the sale of a taxpayer’s principal residence;
    provincial child tax credits or benefits and Québec family allowances;
    Working income tax benefit;
    the Goods and Services Tax or Harmonized Sales Tax credit (GST/HST credit) or Quebec Sales Tax credit; and
    the Canada Child Tax Benefit.
  • Jstas
    edited January 2010
    Maybe set up a monkey jousting tournament.

That would no doubt be an impressive sight! I would very much like to attend such an event!

But I have to wonder. How will the monkeys be incorporated? Will they be the actual jousters? Will the jousters be riding monkeys? Will jousters be monkeys riding monkeys? Will the jousting weapons be monkeys? Will the jousters be monkeys, riding monkeys and using monkeys as weapons? How are we going to get them to use toothbrushes?

• Willow
    edited January 2010
    I work for the TAX man....this is from our website
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited January 2010
    The biggest mistake people who win millions of dollars in the lottery make is pissing away the money thinking they'll never run out. They don't realize that they need to pay taxes on all of that money.

Agreed. What they intend to spend their fortune on is setting them on track to fall into the "Worse off in 5 years" lottery statistic. For them, the 66Mil is after taxes since they won over 160 million and took the lump sum payout.

I hope they are charitable, pay the county back the 800k they owe and are smart enough to keep something for themselves and their children. Oh yeah, I hope the buy a house and move away. They should move to the Hamptons... Now that would be very funny. Hollywood, CEO's... meet the 'Klopeks'.