Onkyo gear....

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited October 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I recently picked up an Onkyo P-3200 preamp and Onkyo M-5160 poweramp for a hundred bucks to form the basis of the lovely Wendi's 2ch rig. I was intrigued by the P-3200 because it was remote control driven (even though I didn't get the remote) for the lovely Wendi's convenience.

Anyhow, I got the amp and the pre set up in the cave with Wendi's LSi7's and have had it running for a couple of days. I finally got the remote issue worked out, no thanks to Onkyo's LOUSY customer service. I finally got the proper code that will allow a cheapie universal to operate it.

The amp isn't bad at all. It's not my favorite as the bass is a little on the sloppy side and the highs are a touch tinny. Nothing terrible but not what I'm used to. 150wpc, it seems to have plenty of power, I've run it with the LSi's and the RTA's with no issues at all. It's a neat looking amp, big, black with rackhandles.

The preamp, I've been using this with the onk amp and swapping it in and out with the C-1 in the Carver rig......not the greatest preamp I've run across but not awful either. The soundstage seems more compressed and again, the highs are just a bit tinny. Not terrible really, just different than I'm used to. The pre itself is pretty basic, plenty of inputs, video and so forth. The knobs and buttons are good quality. No complaints in that department.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along.......you can find it on the cheap and is a pretty decent value. I got 40 in the pre and 60 in the amp, so, I'm tickled pink as far as the bang for buck factor goes PLUS, Wendi will have her own rig.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    And in time for "Sweetest Day" with a week to spare.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2003
    Conrats Troy! Another great deal. Even though Onkyo doesn't make the best sounding amps, they're very powerful. Like NAD's "music first", Onkyo's is "Overbuild". My Onkyo receiver had the juice to power the LSi9 without clipping or shutting down.

Is Wendy your wife or daughter?

Maurice
  • TroyD
    edited October 2003
    The lovely Wendi is my wife of almost eight years.

I wouldn't say that the oink rig sounds 'bad' just different for my tastes.

BDT
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    That's cool There's not that many wifes out there who will let their husband have as many gear as you. Again, I don't think there's many wifes out there with their own high end 2ch rig. You and your wife are very lucky.

I didn't say Oink sounds bad, no way! Sorry, I didn't make that point clear in my post. I meant, their amps are not up there with the BEST, but their power rating is highly underrated and can compete with the big pricey toys. I really like the mids their amps produce. Mr. Grand is a big Onkyo fan. I miss my Oink receiver.

Did you get the older Oink with the big wattmeters on the front? I've always liked their build quality. Heavy and built like a tank.

Maurice
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2003
    "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

I sold every bit of audio stuff in this house the other day, and bought a Bose Lifestyle system.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • George Grand
    edited October 2003
    Should've tried LISTENING to it, rather than using it as a bed for a lizard.

It also just occured to me... that lizards cannot be "housebroken". Get a lot of repeat visitors? I didn't think so.

• George Grand
    edited October 2003
    It explains why the amp might've smelled like ****, but not why it sounded that way.

A CLASSY, futile attempt.

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    (and the crowd slowly gathers for the match of the week.....)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • George Grand
    edited October 2003
    Wrong you are my baiting friend. I can tell when I've been out "Classed". We may not be trendy around here, but neither are we knee deep in lizard ****. And with that one, I'm out of this.

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    (and the crowd slowly disperses feeling empty and walking carefully so as to avoid stepping in warm, lizard droppings...)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Hey, those that don't know - most often don't know they don't know.

All Onkyo needs to do is make a jazzy all-in-one system with a noisey cd drawer...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    All Onkyo needs to do is make a jazzy all-in-one system with a noisey cd drawer...

Cheers,
    Russ

Hehe, with digital amps :p
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2003
    Jeeze, I'm pretty happy with the onk stuff but what the hell do I know. Maybe I just don't blow up enough gear.

It's not that I'm a huge fan of Onkyo, I bought the amp and pre, primarily because it was cheap and if I didn't like it, I could turn it and not lose any money. I learned a while ago, it's no use to try and imitate George and flattery gets me nowhere. George is an original one of a kind.

Well, just got back from our visiting our friends in Greenville. I've got to go play with my free, minty, AR XA turntable.

BDT
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    WTF??? Now a free TT? Let's see....pre amp and amp for $100 and a free turntable in two days..Congrats Troy! You can always send me stuff you don't need:D. Better hurry before I change my mind though;).

Maurice
  • TroyD
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, a free, minty, AR XA turntable......a friend of mine's father is an old school audiophile and he asked me a few months back if I would like to have it as he doesn't use it anymore.

Hey, the gear isn't going anywhere, I was thinking about getting some lizards and might need them. :D

BDT
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    That's cool. I met an old school audiophile this summer. Well, I don't really consider him old school because he loves the new technologies too. But they're great people to talk audio to.

Lizards are cool. I wouldn't mind having one if they didn't grow so damn big. At the moment the piranhas are keeping me very busy and I don't need another pet.

Maurice