outlaw or nad

Options
paymontana
paymontana Posts: 234
edited October 2003 in Electronics
Now that my reciever problem is semi-resolved I need a amp. I have looked at an outlaw 750 and a b&K av 5000 II5. Is one better quality or souning than the other? I don't know. They are both similar in price. Both american made and seem to have good reps.
"It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ****."
Post edited by paymontana on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Tough call. (BTW your title says Outlaw vs. NAD)

The Outlaw at 165 x 5 ch and the B&K at 125(?) x 5. Both are discontinued, so I could not find full spec's on them, but both are high current. I am a bit surprised that they are comparable in price. I would have guessed the B&K to be higher.

I have an older B&K 2 ch that is very sweet. I have not heard Outlaw, only heard of them here.

As long as we are talking all solid state, I don't find amps have night and day differences in sound, but there are often subtle differences.

If it were my decision, I think it would depend on what the main service would be. If HT, Outlaw. If music, B&K.

Hopefully this is not the most informed reply you'll get...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I am also considering nad but i found a floor model B&K av5000 with a full waranty shipped for under 700. retailed for 1200. I would say it is a no brainer. Wouldn't you? HT is my priority but outlaw's are hard to come buy because of their sales policy. No retale ,no floor models. I think the B&K will do for my first amp.I will run the amp to my 4 x lsi9's and center and let the 100wpc avr handle the lsi7's for surround.
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The B&K is actualy 50 bones cheaper than the outlaw plus free shipping. I am buying the B&K!
    90% of all people in this world are good . It's that 10% that screw it up.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sounds like a plan...

Did look in my ebay records and saw two 5000's that sold, one for $405 and one for $355.

Also noted that the 5000 is a 105 x 5 amp...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'll have to check it out. This guy wants 679$ for the 5000II floor model. Specs say it is 125rms. I assume that is another term for watts. idono. Does any one know? I consider it a good deal w/full
    factory waranty. Is that enough head room for lsi 15's?
    90% of all people in this world are good. It is the other 10% that screw it up.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Prices I was quoting were for Series I's.

Here's the 411 on the series II:
    http://www.bkcomp.com/pdf/AV5000SERIESII.PDF

With 30 amperes current capacity it's not the highest current amp out there. Might do your 15's justice, but not a slam dunk...

Is it an "all sales final" situation or could you return it for cash if not satisified?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I don't have a set of 15's yet. I was just thinking about future expantion. It should make my 9's and 7's sing and dance. I can always pick up a 2ch later. That would give me watts to all 7 ch's and i can bi amp off of my 100wpc onk.