Hooking up an old RM1000 woofer/combo

Options
joaquin_2
joaquin_2 Posts: 1
Just got a new amp that allows for 7.1. So far, I'm going with just the 2 sat's and the old unpowered sud, and will add the other speakers as I figure out the wiring. The method of the "vintage" hook-up (on my old amp) was to feed L&R fronts to the sub and branch off from there to the sats. The new amp has separate L/R fronts and a jack for the sub. The new amp is a Panasonic SA-HE100 and the old speakers are Polk's RM1000 sub and RM 3000 sat's. Can I just go ahead and use the old wiring scheme (for now) and what would be the best way for a 5.1 hook-up. Any tips on the best way to hook up these dinosaurs will be appreciated, Thanks
Post edited by joaquin_2 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Yes, use the 'old' scheme to use the 1000 sub and the sats.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Russ is right, with an un-powered, passive sub, your old way is the only option. Just tell your Pannie no sub is hooked up (sometimes you have to lie) and/ or set mains to "large" and it'll route the bass to your mains.

There are many paths you can take from here, but any should be tempered by your AVR. The Pannie is a decent little unit, but not one that's going to anchor a TOTL HT. So you will want to keep your speakers efficient and 8 ohm (most likely).

Your current 3000's and even your 1000 can intially be moved to the rear. Others can better recommend good matches from the recent and current lines.

Adding a good powered sub will help the Pannie out a great deal as the power requirements reside "down there". When you do you will use the Pannie's bass management.

Good luck and welcome to the Club...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD