Wire termination

Options
bionicmushroom
bionicmushroom Posts: 73
I just got some 14ga jacketed MC to redo my surrounds with and figured I had better terminate them. The FX500i's can use banana's right? But on the back of my receiver I am pretty sure that the outs for the surrounds are the clips... Anyone know what the best way to terminate would be? And if so the proper way to get it done right. Thanx!
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR604/s
Front: Polk Rt1000i
Center: Polk CS400i
Surround: Polk FX500i
Subwoofer: Polk PSW110
Post edited by bionicmushroom on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I suggest bananas on the speaker ends, but pins on the clip ends. You can get these from anywhere but there are many choices depending on your budget. You can get crimp sytle, solder, and twist on style. Check Home depot, radio shack etc.
    Graham
  • Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited October 2003
    Options
    As far as terminating the speaker wire into a spring clip connector like you say you have on your audio reciever, I have found only 2 options.

1. Either strip the speaker wire and push it into the spring clip connector, or:

2. Get some of these 'pin connectors' from Radio Shack, etc. You unscrew the connector's barrel, strip the speaker wire, insert it into the end of the connector, then tighten it up. Very good termination. The 'pin' just pushes into the amp's spring clips.

They make one set for 10 and 12 guage wire, and another for 14 and 16 guage. There gold plated.

278-320.jpg
    2-Channel Audio
    Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
    Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
    Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Dont get the monster crimps they suck. If you do get monster (overrpriced) IMO do he the twist locks, they are better and of course re-usable

Spaz
    Life without music would
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited October 2003
    Options
    If you plan to keep your wires for a while look at the Monster Lock master pins which should be soldered to the wire & than ends of your choice. The master pin ends will allow you to screw on bananas, flex tips for spring loaded connections, or spades. I use master pins on all my wires & through the upgrades I have kept the wires & just needed to change the termination ends. Yes it is costly but I looked at as Id only need to replace the terminations if I upgrade, I wouldnt have to cut the cable & resolder or have to cut the cable & install new ends everytime I need to change terminations. I had to change ends a few times when I upgraded from rt800i to the Lsi series. the rt uses smaller binding posts than the lsi. I bought new ends unscrewed the old ones & screwed on the new ones & had the speakers hooked up.
    The master pins are $12.50 for 2 pairs enough for 2 wires & the terminations are also $12.50 for 2 pairs.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    If you do not wish to buy the pins, then twist the ends up, and "tin" them with solder. That will also work fine.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.