Installing my first system

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hi everyone, well I am going to be installing my first system and I have some Q's that hopefully you guys can help me with. I live with my mom so she cant help me and dont have any $$ to get it installed so that leaves me.
First of all I am on a real tight budget, my friend is upgrading his system and he gave me his MTX Thunder 4250D amp for $25. I dont think MTX is making this model anymore since i cant find any info on their site. But I got this info on another: Mono amp 125 Watt x 4ohm 250 watt x 2ohm. My friend had two 10's hooked up running a 2ohm load. I think I want to get the 12" Polk/Momo MM2124 sub since it semms to be the best bang for the buck ($109 at circuit city). So my question is could I get 250 watts out of my amp without wiring up two speakers in parallel? The amp has two sets of -/+ speaker terminals, but still I dont think its possible with 1 speaker. If not is 125 watts enough to power the sub?? Any Info I mean any would help me out a great deal.

Thanxs Jbone
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2003
    you can't do it -- the momo subs only come in 4 ohm models...

i would suggest you either get ONE dual 4 ohm voice coil sub (has two sets of +/- terminals on the sub - so you can hook up both to both of the amp's sets and get full power) or go with the JBL GT10 or GT12 subs -- www.crutchfield.com has them for 130 bucks for TWO (yes 65 bucks each!) and they sound almost as good as the polk subs... handle just about the same amount of power, and will get loud off the 4250D.

for your into the 4250D actually does more like 300 - 330 x 1 at 2 ohms.

so if u do the jbl GT 10's or 12's you'll get like 160 per sub, which isn't bad.

or like i said, find a 300 or 400 watt dual 4 ohm coil sub - like an mtx 61044 10" or something like that.

you cannot get more than 160 out of that amp into a single momo mm2124.

any other questions - feel free to ask.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited October 2003
    Is that amp 2 ohm stable in stereo?

If so, see if you can grab the DVC JBL subs and series the voice coils for a 2 ohm load on each channel. Talk about booming!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    Stas, it's a mono sub amp, mtx has 2 terminals for ease of wiring dvc subs but it's still mono.

One other combo you could look at is a pair of the 10 or 12 Roadthunder subs, they're 79 and 89 respectively at CC and they hit pretty decent...

p.s. if you're in Fort Wayne IN i could give ya a hand, float me 5bucks for gas and something to drink while i work and you've got an installer ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    OMG you guys dont even know how much this helps me!!! Well I have been lookin around on the net at dual 4ohm VC subs and I really like the Alpine SWS-1241D and expecially the Audiobahn Performer Series AWC12T. Both dual VC 200-500 RMS power with thick rubber surounds. Anyone know if these are any good? So hopefully I can get 1 of em and get my amps full power to them.

MTX Man- I live in CO so that really sux or I would have gave yoo a buzz man thatnx for the offer though.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MTXMAN
    edited October 2003
    man.... i wanna install something... it's been too long... hey if anybody's in the fort wayne area and needs help with an install let me know...

Avoid audioblah like the plague... the alpine type S are decent subs, i'd personally prefer 2 Roadthunders, those things are quite surprising this year. the alpine will give you better sq though but the rt's hit nice and hard. either way steer clear of audiobahn in general
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    Thanxs for the warning!!

Well I have decided on the Alpine SWS-1241D. But I am kinda confused. With DVC 4oh the speaker can run at 8ohm or 2ohm righ? And if I wire it up to my mona amp it will be running 2ohm?I just want to be extra sure that this combo will work before I spend the $$. Again thank you all for all of the helpfull info.

JBone
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2003
    u are right - a dual 4 can be wired as a single 8 or 2.. u'll walla jump the two positives of the sub together and the two negatives of the sub together and run them to one of the terminals on the mtx amp -- u'll get a singel 2 ohm load.

dont worry about the amp having two sets of terminals -- that's just to make it easy for u to hook up two subs - on the inside those two sets are actually soldered together into one set... its just for convenience.

as far as the alpine sub -- its 200 rms -- the amp is a little too much juice for it -- i mean you can do it - but dude, ONE JBL GT 100 would piss on ONE alpine type S 10 -- the JBL is a cheaper sub money wise but its a better sub performance and qualilty of build wise.

audiobahn is the plague, yes.

you know what you could do

get an IDQ....

yes ! that's a much gooder idea -- Image Dynamics IDQ V2 D4... its 350 rms, the amp will put out like 300 - 330 so that's golden, and its like 160 bucks.... here's a link.... i know its a little more money but dude, its a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT sub for both sound quality and boomin.

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/IDSIDQ10D4V2

(i know it "says" the rms is 250 -- but its about 350 -- the 12 is about 450 --- ID's a helluva company -- the IDmax series sub is rated at 1,000 rms and actually takes around 1,400)
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    So Dodge do you think the IDQ would hit harder then the 12" alpine? Is the JBL DVC? I read it has dual magnets or is that the same thing? Or should I get two of em, bet those will bump!! Alpine has type R thats almost the same as Type S but can handle more power. I dont know man Im goin crazy there are so many good choices!!!

JBone
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited October 2003
    image dynamics will hit MUCH harder than alpine...plus...its image dynamics...a lot of ppl dont hear about them b/c theyre one of the better brands in car audio...when most ppl go after the rockford/mtx/sony/jbl/jl stuff
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited October 2003
    i'd say get the idq :D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2003
    the type R is not a "little better" than the type S -- the type S is an entry level sub -- the type R is a sub that (even tho its rated at 300 rms) will actually do best on something like 600 - 700 watts rms... and its LOUD AS HELL. but you need that 600 or so watts to it or else you're not really pushing it to its potential...

the type R is something i'd consider a chief competitor to the momo sub -- it sounds great, take a lotta power, and its not too expensive -- traits which both the momo and the R share.

as far as the IDQ... i actually stumbled upon it because i was lookin for a sub that was a lot like the Polk DX series subs (which are no longer made -- however the new polk MM2124 and 2104 subs are very very similar... and if they made the polk MM2124 in a dual 4 ohm coil model i'd tell you that that would be the best sub for you to get for your application). The idq will hit harder, clearer, with more tonal accuracy, and generally outperform the type S in every way possible. ... and at 169 retail with full warranty, its not too bad on the pocket either. although 129 would be a bit more fair for it... but since they're not maketed in chain stores its hard to keep the price down...

the JBL GT100 subs come in both singel 4 ohm coil and dual 4 ohm coil -- they are both dual magnet regardless of the coil.

its the BEST 'poor man's sub' on the market i believe.

as far as should you get two GT100 single 4's or one IDQ dual 4...

i dunno... personally, i'd rather have one 300 watt sub than two 150 watt subs... but thats a personal choice.

however, push comes to shove -- i would get one dual 4 sub... i think that situation would allow you to get a better quality sub.

better to have one nice sub than two "medium" subs. and price difference is like 30 bucks which is negligable.
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited October 2003
    I'd also go with the IDQ. I've owned them, awesome subs, don't take a lot of space and can handle at least nearly all their peak power rating without problems... (I should know, I did it for well over a year, and they still run strong in my gf's car.)

In addition to what Dodge said, a single 350 watt sub would allow you to add another somewhere down the road if, or should I say when you decide it's not loud enough. Which IMO would be more feasable than adding two more subs or replacing your two all together.
    "The Big C"