Difference between quicklock, twist crimp, and crimp style?

Options
PhantomOG
PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
I'm about to purchase some monster connectors but don't really understand the difference between the connectors.

Quicklock? Twist crimp? Crimp? I've only used cheap connectors before with a small threaded metal plug that screws down onto the bare wire. What's the difference between these?

thanks for helping...
Post edited by PhantomOG on

Comments

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited September 2003
    Options
    What kind of speaker's/receiver are you hooking up to?
    Life without music would
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2003
    Options
    RTi70 mains, R20 rear surronds, CSi30 center (soon to be 40 and the 30 in rear center) all hooked up to an Onkyo TXSR600

I think i want bananas on everything but speaker side on the rears which i think spades will fit better against the wall.

only think i don't know is whether to get "quicklock" "twist crimp" or "crimp" connectors....
  • malikarshad
    malikarshad Posts: 527
    edited September 2003
    Options
    For ease of connection quicklock with banana connectors are the best.
    I've used the crimp style but it's a pain to crimp them.
    I've used banana plugs for all my connections its so easy to plug & unplug.
    The qucik lock is very easy to put the wires in.

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
    PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
    Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
    Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
    Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
    Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
  • Pauly
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Are you going to Bi-Wire the 70's? And 40 when you get it? If so then you might not want to waste your money on doing the Crimps or Twist Crimps as i did and didnt have much success. If i would have just saved that money i blew on all the clips i could damn near have a set a custom bi-wires that i have been wanting. But if you dont have the funds as myself then i would goto Radio Shak. They are cheeper ($) than Monster and work pretty good as this is what i have on mine at this time. I'll post the link next
    Life without music would
  • Pauly
    edited September 2003
    Options
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2003
    Options
    QuickLocks rock.
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2003
    Options
    i wouldn't mind bi-wiring just to see if it truly sounds any better. i've never listened to it but i personally just don't see how it could sound any better. maybe bi-amping but not bi-wiring.

anyways, i'm too damn lazy as well. i live in an apartment so i don't think it would be worth the time investment to bi-wire. maybe someday when i buy a house.

back to connectors, i've been to radioshack and the plugs there seem almost as expensive as the monster's (~3-5 per pair). and my friend can get the monster connectors for 60% off retail so i figure why not.

the quicklocks are ~10 a pair and the twist crimps are ~8 a pair. is it really worth the extra money for the quicklocks?
  • Pauly
    edited September 2003
    Options
    IMO yeah go for the quick locks. The Crimps suck. I wasted $20 on them and ended up tossing them. The quicklocks are re-useable as well. Good luck!:)
    Life without music would
  • malikarshad
    malikarshad Posts: 527
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I agree with spasticpitbull. I had the same issue. The quicklock are reusable.

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
    PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
    Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
    Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
    Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
    Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    P-OG,

Give some consideration to the RS dual banana's:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F003%5F001%5F006&product%5Fid=278%2D308

Very secure termination, and very good contact with posts at a very reasonable price.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited September 2003
    Options
    http://www.amabilidade2002.com/index.htm
    based in portugal

Pros:
    Large selection, ridiculous prices.

Cons:
    Must order with a bank check. Shipping takes 2 weeks if remember correctly.

I got 20 gold plated banana plugs for 20 dollars shipped. It's worth it. (add $4 for bank check cost)
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2003
    Options
    wow... now those are great prices. more inline with what it seems like it would cost to manufacture a banana plug.

if only there was a similar otion in the US. i'm still looking...
  • pbc74
    pbc74 Posts: 63
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Are those clips from Portugal just as good as Monster clips? Sounds like a good deal but I wonder if you get what you pay for.
    Main system:

Fronts: Infinity Alpha 50
    Center: Infinity Alpha 37c
    Surrounds: Infinity Alpha 20
    Receiver: Onkyo TS-XR607
    Subwoofer: Pioneer S-DW1-K
    Cable- Monster Cable XP

Bedroom Setup:

fronts- Polk R50
    surrounds- Polk R30
    center- CS1
    sub- Sony 50 watt
    AVR- Onkyo TSXR502
    Cable- Monster Cable XP
  • mrgoodcheese
    mrgoodcheese Posts: 23
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Ceruleance
    http://www.amabilidade2002.com/index.htm
    based in portugal

Pros:
    Large selection, ridiculous prices.

Cons:
    Must order with a bank check. Shipping takes 2 weeks if remember correctly.

I got 20 gold plated banana plugs for 20 dollars shipped. It's worth it. (add $4 for bank check cost)

Thank you! Well, thank you, if I can figure out how to order.

If it says:
    Binding post
    US $ 0.072
    Qty. 100

US $ 0.055
    Qty 1000

That's the price at a quantity of 100 or 1000, but what's the minimum quantity to buy?
    My Humble HT:
    50H81 50" Toshiba HDTV
    Yamaha 5250 receiver
    Center: Polk cs400i
    Fronts: Polk rti70s
    Rears: Polk FXi30s
    Subs: JBL PB-12 corner/old Cerwin Vega 10" behind couch
  • 4_everyman
    4_everyman Posts: 50
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    P-OG,

Give some consideration to the RS dual banana's:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F003%5F001%5F006&product%5Fid=278%2D308

Very secure termination, and very good contact with posts at a very reasonable price.

I second Tour2ma's recommendation. The dual bananas are (comparitively) inexpensive, very easy to use, and quite reliable.

--Pete
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Those bananas from radio shack look like a waste of time.. Theres no spring in the post so its not going to make perfect contact inside the speaker terminal.

Go with the monster quick lock banana and the spades for your speakers if your going to hang them on the wall.

Ya get 2 sets of them per pack.. thats 10 bucks a set.. Sounds good to me.. plus your friend has the hook up so its a no brainer.

;)
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by eclypse
    Those bananas from radio shack look like a waste of time.. Theres no spring in the post so its not going to make perfect contact inside the speaker terminal.
    Incorrect.

I have and just looked at both. The RS dual plugs have six, bowed out metal strips (or springs) same as Monsters... No difference I can see.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Incorrect.

I have and just looked at both. The RS dual plugs have six, bowed out metal strips (or springs) same as Monsters... No difference I can see.

ok strange.. by the looks in the pic it looks like it has a solid post... I think i even remember seeing them 3 days ago at radio shack and they looked the same.. I'll take your word for it though.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)