Surround question

Options
Maurice
Maurice Posts: 517
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I'm thinking of upgrading my current surrounds from the RM2350's to FXI30's. But I will soon be getting a Sony ES Receiver which puts out 110w and the 30's only take 100w. Will the surround channels under normal use actually blow the 30's, or would I have to really crank them hard for that to happen? Also my seating area is against the wall, so would the 30's be a good choice since I would like to mount them on the wall. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. THIS SITE IS TOO COOL. :D
Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
Velo DLS 3500 Sub
JVC 61" HD-ILA
Sony DA4ES AVR
Oppo 981 DVD
Sony CDP-CX235 CD
Signal Bi-wires
AR ProII IC's
Post edited by Maurice on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The FXi30 is a great surround speaker. No, normal use will not harm them. Yes, you would have to go out of your way to blow them up in most cases.

Is it the right speaker for you? We would need some room data and such to say 100%, but it sounds like it should work just fine. Set up the speakers in Bipole and Dipole mode, and see which sounds best to you while displaying media.

It looks like you are piecing together some better equipment, good choices.

I have that same DVD player, :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Maurice
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks Doro. I'm trying to be like you when I grow up.;) My room is 18x22, but one side goes right into my kitchen. So the 30's would only have one side wall to bounce off. Also once placed on the wall they will be about 2ft above ear level and 4ft over to the side. What do ya think?

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment, but find a better person than I :)

Placement sounds good, I have a similar problem in my HT room. There is an open doorway at the back half, left side of the room, but it hasn't affected anything to my ears. How tall is your room?

You have the right idea allready.

www.dolby.com has some good information on placement, as does the Polk website:

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/index.php
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Maurice
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I've got 8ft ceilings. I've really got the Fxi30 itch.:p

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Same here, 8' ceiling, I have mine about 3" from the ceiling.

I have the speaker wire ran thru the ceiling, to wall plates right above the speaker.

The FXi30 is a great surround speaker you will enjoy its performance. The bug eh? :D

You have only scratched the surface of this "bug", this hobby will hospitalize you in 6 months or less. ;)
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have the FXi30's paired with a Denon 3803 receiver (which is 110wpc) and I've never had a problem with distortion because of the extra 10 watts. I have even blasted them with SACD and DVD-audio. No problem, the Fxi30's can handle it!
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • Maurice
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Just the excuse I need to get the 30's.:D

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited October 2003
    Options
    My Lsi 15's 250wpc are hooked into an amp that produces 475wpc. Just don't abuse it and you won't lose it.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited October 2003
    Options
    My seating area is against the back wall so I have my FXi30's set to bipole mode and they do a great job. I'm using the Denon 3803 and even with it cranked up the FXi30's do fine.
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The 30's are awesome - I love mine. Go get 'em - you won't regret 'em.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You can't fight great comments by forum members like Kberg, Jkratzer and AC, stop messing and start buying.