Surround speaker placement

Options
rookiejk
rookiejk Posts: 60
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I am going to be using a pair of Rti6s for my surrounds, would it be best to use mounting brackets and mount them to the walls, or are speaker stands the way to go? My impression is that the surrounds are supposed to be higher (7-8 ft) off the ground, so perhaps a stand would not work for HT use. The only thing I worry about is not having flexibility with the wall mount.

Also, I am only able to mount the speakers on the rear walls and not the sides. If I mount them in corners, will this affect sound quality? All help appreciated.
Receiver: B&K AVR505
Fronts: Lsi25s
Center: Lsic
Surround: LsiXs
TV: 57'' RP Toshiba
Post edited by rookiejk on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Surrounds should be 2-3' above the listers ear. Placing the surround speakers in a corner is not the ideal location, reflected sound is going to be a pain. Have you considered using a bipole/dipole speaker on the rear wall?

Check out WWW.Dolby.Com for more info on placement.

BTW, the RTi6 has a built in mount (keyhole) so you don't need to spend anymore on mounts. Just be sure to use a stud finder.:)
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You are right , they should be 7-8' off the ground. Avoid putting them in the corner and try to mount them facing you, not pointing straight ahead if possible. Mounts are probably the way to go as I am not aware of any 7' speaker stands.

Edit: Frank ya beat me to it, sorry to repeat you.
    Graham