Magnepans/Carver Amazings/SDA's

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Does anyone like Magnepans? Any comparisons from anyone with SDA's? In general, what do people think of them. I was looking at their 3.6 model and it looks interesting. Of course the 20.1 model looks even more interesting but then again, it is almost three times as much. I plan on auditioning them in the next few weeks just for giggles. So how would they compare to the Carver amazing?
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited October 2003
    Options
    From my limited experience (so far) with the Carver's vs Maggie's, the Carver's would be my choice. The Maggie's don't have a bottom end and IMO are limited in what type of music they play well. SDA's vs Maggie's....hands down the SDA's. SDA's vs Carver's, I'll let you know after I have had a chance to hook up the Amazings with the speaker control box.

Looking forward to your impressions of the Maggie's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I've heard that they (the maggies) have a very deep soundstage whereas the SDA's have a very wide soundstage. I'm hoping that after auditioning them I still like the SDA's better considering it would be very tough to move them out of here but I'm open. I'm afraid what I will find is that the maggies will have one set of benifits and the SDA's another. Don't you just hate compromise?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I've owned Maggies for 3.5 years. I started with the MMG and upgraded 3 months later to MG12s. Maggies demand a high current amp and proper positioning to make them sing. You need at least 3' behind them (dipoles need open space behind them) and at least 200W of SS power. The fun thing about Maggies is the ability to tweak them. I've built custom stands, rewired the crossovers and replaced the crossover caps.
    For more Maggie info checkout:
    http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/
    The guys are very helpful.