2»

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    clock,
    this is what I would do, if I were you:
    get two pair of LSi15 (with price accom. as BS1 pointed out, cost wise, might be a wash with 2 set of LSi9+stand)

borrow HK7200 from your store, and tested out with the LSi and see if you like the combo. The question is not so much whether HK can handle LSi (based on what I read, I would say yes, it can handle them fine), but more of matching preference issue. Would they sound as good (subjectively) as other possible combo? I can tell you one thing, the sound of Rotel/B&K with LSi have been experienced by several members in this forum, including myself, to be very desirable.

If you already ordered 7200, I still would not taking it out from the box, and would use your store's 7200. Why? if you decided not to keep it, you can sell it NIB on ebay, audiogon, here (flea market), or HT forums for profit, and use the proceed toward other receivers of your choice.

One last thing, you might want to venture to other site (AVS forum in particular) for feedback on 7200 reliability and satisfaction from owners. I vaguely remembered reading a couple threads around failing left channels on the 7200. Do your search on this receiver over there and see what you can come up with. All in all, enjoy the experience....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The Rotel combo you had should be considered more than just one step up over the HK 320, musically or otherwise!

I'm 6'2" so my steps are pretty big.

Greg
    suds, suds and more suds!
  • clock245
    clock245 Posts: 12
    edited October 2003
    Options
    i also get the velodyne at accomodations... actually a very good price at accomodations. sorry i forgot to mention that part.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Those steps aren't as big as 6'9" though!

polkatese, HK are more of a warm, laid back sound, more comparable to Rotel and B&K a lot more so than say Denon for example. QC would be the biggest issue I'd be concerned with, not technical performance in any way shape or form.

As for 2 pairs of 15s, why would he need either a back or side pair of 15s for movies only? I believe he'd be better served with another set of FXs instead.

Clock, I'd still get that SVS over that Velo. regardless of any price acc. or not. I'm sure others here will back me up on that probably with 100% total agreement, especially considering the money you would probably save by forgoing the 25s for either 15s or 9s with stands along with the cost of the Velo. being applied to the SVS should be enough to cover it.
  • clock245
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Considering the LSi's that i get at accomodation. Which would you suggest for the the rears then? The LSiFX's or the LSi15s/25s? the 15's would be no diff b/w LSIFX's but the 25's would be about 350 more a pair so basically 700 dollars more. which is kind of an expensive differencefor me. If it is worth it however, I will work an additional month so that i can save and get the 25's instead. If you think 15's are better should i get the PA2000/4000 and biamp the rears? If i did that then the 25's would still be about 400 dollars more expensive. Which way should i go?
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    BS1, it is strictly a preference. 2 pair of LSi15/C/Fx to make 7.1, if price is comparable, would be closer to what would be considered close to ideal. Granted, Clock's requirements are strictly HT related use only, but I would imagine his investments on these speaks will take him to music also (in the future, perhaps.) These two requirements (HT and music) are not mutually exclusive, IMO. So, it goes back to what I would do, if I can get a one time pricing advantage, such as in Clock's situation.

Having owned all LSi's (with the exception of the 25's), I can say, between 15 and 9, given the advantage of a floorstanding and full range ability), I would pick another 15 over a 9/7 for my HT surround back. But that's just me, and I do watch a lot of movies too with the 15/C/Fx/7
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • clock245
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You know one more thing. The HK avr 630 is also an option at the price i get that for, i could get one of those and one PA 4000 for cheaper than a HK AVR 7200 at accomodation pricing plus it would be more power with more features than the 7200 like for example it has DPL2X. What do you all think of that setup? I could do 2 LSi25's up front, One LSiC, 2 LSiFX for side surround, and two LSi15's for rears.. The 630 is 75 x 7 and the PA4000 can be run 45 x 7. So the total would be 120 x 7. Obviously these are fairly conservative because HK underrates their equipment. But you see my point? How would this work out?
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited October 2003
    Options
    polkatese
    "BS1, it is strictly a preference. 2 pair of LSi15/C/Fx to make 7.1, if price is comparable, would be closer to what would be considered close to ideal. "

Not according to the panel of people in hometheater magazine (whose final conclusions I copied and pasted in a earlier post on this thread) where 4 out 4 people all agreed that they liked bipoles/dipoles better as rear surrounds than direct radiators. I also personally agree with them myself. You made a good pont about clock possibly getting more into music in the future, but that's by no means a given though. Make no mistake however, a rear pair of FXs would be much easier on the HK 7200 than 15s.

Clock, I thought the 7200 was a done deal irregardless now. I'm not aware of the HK 630, obviously a new model, but I am aware of the PA 4000, as I have one myself, and yes, you could biamp each and every single last one of the LSis, even the FXs. Matter of fact, I bought a total of 7 PA 2000s off of ubid.com specifically for that purpose until I actually heard the LSis and decided that they just weren't for me. The 7200 though was over 142 watts X 7 with all channels driven at the same time in it's actual true power output. That's going to be tough to top that, even for a B&K. Anyways, I'm about out of ideas here on this. AS you can probably see by now, a person can drive themselves crazy over all of this. Good luck to youi in whatever you do.
  • clock245
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the help BigSexy1. I said that the 7200 was my final choice only because I know there are a lot of people that dont like HK receivers, but I am limited to them because of accomodations. So in an effort to try to keep everyone from telling to get different receivers that I will not be able to get or afford i said this. I have not bought it yet, but the one i will buy will be an HK something. Yes, by the way the 630 is new. It is a 75 x 7 receiver at least according to HK. They rate the 7200 100 x 7. However, I am assuming that for whatever reason they underrate their equipment. Anyways the 630 has more features but less power so i thought if i got a 4000 I would be able to get all the good of the 7200 plus more and less impedence problems.