Vinyl Static

dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited October 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Is normal to accumulate a lot of static when spinning vinyl? It seems like my new vinyl accumulates even more static and I'm even getting some pops when it discharges. Is there anything I can do?

I'm wondering what it's going to be like this winter when static becomes an even worse problem. :(
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited October 2003
    Usually from comming in and out of the sleeves, creates friction, I use an anti-static gun and antistatic fiber brush on all my vinyl.
    Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • dcarlson
    edited October 2003
    I have an antistatic brush and use it before and after every record use.

I don't have an anti-static gun though. Probably something I should keep an eye out for. ;)

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Humidity a little low up north, Derrick?

Actually the spinning itself results in static build up. Usual result is dust attraction. Personally I've never experienced it building up to the point of an audible discharge during play, but apparently it's possible.

The "Zero-stat" maybe the gun Stuff refers to. It was made by Discwasher many years ago. Supposed to generate a fire "positive" ions at the LP. Here's one of several hits in a "Zerostat" search...
    http://www.2spi.com/catalog/photo/zerostat.shtml

Never owned one, seemed kind of voodoo-ish to me, and at $135 I'm not likely to run out and get one.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2003
    I have found several of those Zero-Stat guns in the last few months. I can usually grab them for $5-10. Thrift shops and flea markets.

They work, but can lose their "charge" over time. A good way to check a prospective (if possible), is to take it into a dark area, put the barrel about 1/4" away from something metal, and slowly pull the trigger. You can actually see the blue arc if it is still operational. One that I found recently was inop.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited October 2003
    You might consider purchasing a Nitty Gritty record cleaning Machine. The cleaning solution which NG sells not only cleans the records, but prevents static buildup.

Dan
  • dcarlson
    edited October 2003
    Oh man, that would be sweet. :D

I have to get speakers before I get a cleaning machine. I'll try the zerostat thing, maybe, if I find one. $75 at audioadvisor, that's a little rich for me right now.

Tour, it's pretty humid. It seems it's been raining forever. I got a round of golf in 2 weeks ago in the middle of a nice clearing Sunday afternoon. I'm afraid that was my last nine of the year. I shot a 40. :D

• STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited October 2003
    Several cleaning machines ,brushes, and guns on Audio Advisor this month..Zerostat was about $75...Yes the guns do wear out..I would not recommend used ..... .but I have found them to significantly reduce static on vinyl and the turntable mechanics.... Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited October 2003
    For someone serious about the vinyl hobby, I'd strongly recommend getting a Zerostat gun, carbon fiber anti-static brush, Nitty Gritty or similar cleaning machine, and anti-static inner sleeves for all LPs. It's not so important in the summer with increased humidity levels, but dry winter air will make static build-up much more noticeable. The static problem can be completely eliminated with the tools above, but I've found just using one of the above by itself doesn't do the trick.
  • dcarlson
    edited October 2003
    I'll definitely need to do something. I have hot water heat, it gets pretty dry. When I use my carbonfiber brush, i can hear the static dissapating (sp?). It gets even worse after I've been spinning for a couple hours and lift a record off of the TT. I can feel the static.

I think I'll make a Christmas list for my family to pick up this stuff for me. :D