Which LSis for my application?

Options
Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I listen to rock/heavy metal (newer stuff, not Quiet Riot LoL) music about 75% of the time and the rest will be DVDs/Xbox gaming. Which LSi setup would be best for my needs for the price I can get them for?

(1) LSiC (4) LSi9s = $1063 SHIPPED
(1) LSiC (2) LSi9s (2) LSi15s = $1343 SHIPPED
(1) LSiC (4) LSI15s = $1623 SHIPPED

I know everyone says for DVD-Audio and HDCDs it's better to get all matching speakers but seeing as how the 9s and 15s contain the same driver array (except for the 8" in the 15s) would it really matter if I got (2) 9s and (2) 15s? Would I be better off with (4) LSi9s because they're easier to place and get a nice subwoofer to complement them? This will be in my basement which is a townhouse that has ductworking in the ceiling. We will be getting our own house in around 2 years but until then it will have to be hooked up in the basement. If I get a killer subwoofer it will rattle the ductworking to oblivion and sound like crap. Maybe I could just get away using the 8" drivers in the LSi9s for now?

I will more than likely be running this setup off an HK AVR7200 that I can get for $918. Was looking at the Outlaw Combo 950/7100 but we're talking almost twice the cash for that.

As always, all comments are greatly appreciated. And yes, I am on a pretty tight budget here. My fiance is going to kill me over $1100 and she is REALLY going to kill me over $1600 :D
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thats not considered a tight budget around here. Personally I would go for 4 lsi9s and put the rest in a sub fund for after your move. I have not heard the 7200 but I have a HK and love the sound, very clean and smooth.
    Graham
  • ToddB
    ToddB Posts: 21
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Tremendous pricing. I'd like to know how you can get 4 LSi 15's and one LSiC for $1,623 shipped! That's outstanding. It certainly can't be from an authorized dealer and I've never seen internet pricing down that low either. About the cheapest I've seen is about $1,100/pair shipped for a 15 and $320 shipped for the center.

If you can really get them at that sort of price, I'd go all out for the four 15's.

You'll probably also get some responses indicating that the HK may not drive those speakers. Some say it will, some say it can't. I've never auditioned that receiver so can't give an opinion on that.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The problem I see with the 15s is having to power one extra driver, and a bigger one at that. I'd think if I were going to power them with an HK AVR7200 I would be better off going with LSi9s so each driver would get "theoretically" 33% more power. 33% more power and $600 less, although I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the look of the LSi15s. They just look bad!

If anyone is VERY SERIOUS about purchasing an LSi setup, please feel free to PM me here and I'll let you know how to get my pricing.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Mazeroth, you might want to check out clock245's thread (if you haven't already), as it is very close to your situation as well.

I do agree that the 9's would be a much better choice than the 15s to help ease the load on the receiver, especially so you can run them hi-passed in the HK's bass management system (which is top notch BTW) if you are getting a great sub to go with the set.

You know, have you at least considered a system built around the new RTi12? I'd venture to dare say that for movies and the type of music you listen to, it might actually be a better choice than the LSi line. Just something to think about.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    LSi9's + LSiC + SVS/HSU/VELO/SUNFIRE Subwoofer.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.