Ambient Light source

Options
acdds
acdds Posts: 253
I recently calibrated my TV (Sony Wega 32") using the Digital Video Essentials set-up DVD. There was a section that discussed an ambient light source placed behind the TV to ease the strain on your eyes when watching a movie in the total dark. I was wondering if anyone uses a light behind the TV and if anyone has a suggestion as to what kind of light (wattage of bulb, type of lamp) to use. I am used to watching movies in the dark and it is a bit of a strain on the eyes. Thanks!
Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
DVD = Denon DV-2900
Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
(Carver m1.5t)
Center = CSi40
Side surrounds = Fxi30's
Sony 12" sub
TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
Rti38's
Post edited by acdds on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I never used the DVE disc, but one night when I was using the computer in the dark my eyes were straining, and i got an idea. I put a small desk lamp atop the case and what do ya know...no more eye strain.

I think it's a matter of you're eyes trying to adjust to a bright light and total dark at the same time...obviously it can't be done.

A couple 25 watt lights on the front wall will do, I think...plus it looks cool.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2003
    Options
    What you want is an 18" 6500k fluorescent light fixture behind your TV. The 6500k temp. bulb is the closest you can get to actual daylight color, thus it will not affect your perception of onscreen colors. Do not use a standard incandescent bulb, they are too yellow.

Most, if not all, the parts can be had at Home Depot. I built one when I had my RPTV in my HT room.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mrgoodcheese
    mrgoodcheese Posts: 23
    edited October 2003
    Options
    6500k fluorescent light is correct. I think mine is something like 18 watts, which is actually pretty bright.

When I first installed the light, it seemed too bright, because it was bouncing off the wall which was white. After a while I got a crazy idea to try, which turned out awsome. I got a long drape rod and 2 sections of 84" long, light blue drapes. I hung it all up behind my widescreen tv so it looked like a movie theater curtain, even with the curves in the curtain, or pleats I think they're called. Now, at night when I turn on the 6500k fluorescent backlight, the curtain absorbs some of the light and reflects some as background light. My background drape invention looks kind of creepy / cool too.
    My Humble HT:
    50H81 50" Toshiba HDTV
    Yamaha 5250 receiver
    Center: Polk cs400i
    Fronts: Polk rti70s
    Rears: Polk FXi30s
    Subs: JBL PB-12 corner/old Cerwin Vega 10" behind couch
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I just went to Home Depot to buy a 18' , 6500k light source. I was planning to buy just a plug-in strip light. I ask the guy for a 6500k bulb and he had never heard of a bulb like that before. I dug through all their light bulbs and all they had was 3000k and 4100k. Where did you guys get those bulbs? I live in an apartment so I don't want to hang any type of drapes. Should I just buy a 4100k bulb? And is a simple plug in strip light OK? I can't wire anything into the wall. Thanks!
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • mrgoodcheese
    mrgoodcheese Posts: 23
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I got my fluorescent light strip at Home Depot also, but they didn't have the 6500k bulbs either. I found the bulb at a Menards (like Home Depot, but I think they're only in Wisconsin). The bulbs are out there, you'll just have to look around. Use the phone book and call all the store you can find, maybe a lighting store will have it. Or, order one off the net, but be sure it's the same size as the one that came in your light strip.
    My Humble HT:
    50H81 50" Toshiba HDTV
    Yamaha 5250 receiver
    Center: Polk cs400i
    Fronts: Polk rti70s
    Rears: Polk FXi30s
    Subs: JBL PB-12 corner/old Cerwin Vega 10" behind couch