mm1040 or 1040D ? w/500.1 amp?

beardog03
beardog03 Posts: 5,550
edited December 2009 in Car Subwoofer Talk
If I am putting two of these in my truck , do I get single or dual voice coils ?

I am also getting a pair of matching 6.5 components before they are no longer available.

Seems like Polk is getting out of the car audio biz, from what I have been reading and assuming from the posts here....could be wrong , but I need new speaks anyway !!

I will be using my 500.1`s and my 300.2, or my 400.4....not sure which yet, but It looks like the 4ch won`t fit, so I will be using the 300.2

I have 2ea. 500.1`s to use foiro the bass, but I may give one of them to my brother, so let`s assume I am only using one of them...for now
I was going to get an SR unit, but the shallow mount MM`s seem like the would fit in the truck box`s better (behind bench seat )

Thanks in advance

(ps...ya know Mac, this would be done by now if you lived closer !! you too Cody !!)
Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
Parasound HCA-3500
Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
Jolida JD-100 CDP
Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
SVS PC-Ultra Sub
AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
PS Audio Plus Power Cords
Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
Post edited by beardog03 on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2009
    wassamatter ?
    no car guy`s up ?!!

Another question...

should I invest in some SR speaks while they are still available, or should I just stick with the MM series ?

I have been trying to find some NIB Momo`s, but they seemed to have disapeared off the face of the planet!!
    I need some 6.5`s, and a couple of replacement tweets (4)
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2009
    The only SR speakers still around legitimately are the SR5250's. If you can swing them in your budget, theyre definitely worth picking up.

If youre using one of the old 500.1 (I loved those old Carbon amps) and a pair of MM 10's, then youd want a pair of single voice coil subs so you could wire them parallel and run at 2 ohms mono.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited December 2009
    MacLeod wrote: »
    The only SR speakers still around legitimately are the SR5250's. If you can swing them in your budget, theyre definitely worth picking up.

If youre using one of the old 500.1 (I loved those old Carbon amps) and a pair of MM 10's, then youd want a pair of single voice coil subs so you could wire them parallel and run at 2 ohms mono.

Called the polk dealer here to check if he had any news on polk discontinuing the sr's. He said that he hasn't heard anything yet. He's also sitting on 6 sets of the sr6500. $600 plus shipping. If they really are being discontinued, I would'nt mind buying another pair and just holding on to them. I'm whispering so that the wife doesnt hear me. :)