New entry level turntable

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited October 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Michell has a new entry level turntable out. It is called the "Techno dec". If I were looking to get started this is the way I would go. I would get the optional record clamp for sure. My turntable is a mid level performer which is a Michell deck which is a variation of their gyro dec and orbe models. Actually it is a gyrodec with an orbe upgrade and power supply upgrade. Some call it a Gorbe. A little much for someone starting out but certainly the Techno dec is reasonable if you are into it.

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/gyrodec_orbe_turntable.html#tecnodec

madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Good stuff... not well known. So what's the entry fee?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2003
    Want to know the price too. I think Music Hall has the cheapest entry level TT right now.

Maurice
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited October 2003
    Yachymachy. :eek:

Optional clamp, dust cover and whatever the HR Power Supply is.

http://www.artech-electronics.com/us/products/michell/

Out of my price range. Maybe I'll watch for one on Ebay. ;)
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2003
    Holy crap, yep, out of my range also. I would buy a used NAD as an "entry" level TT.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    edited October 2003
    I'm sure you can get it for a lot less than that. That is MSRP from Michell. Besides, it is entry level to the high end, not really entry level to basic turntables. My mistake, I did word it wrong. One nice thing about Michell, you get what you pay for plus there is a great upgrade path. You can build any machine you want and then upgrade it to whatever machine you want later.
    madmax

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, a little bit of sticker shock there...

max,
    I will say that if one considers his investment in vinyl, to spend $2000 on a TT, arm and cartridge is not unresonable... make that $2400 so we can add a good record cleaner... OK, $2900 for a tube phono pre... but as with all things audio, where is the point of dimishing returns?

I have about $1000 in my primary rig, a Thorens TD-124, SME 3009 - III, Shure V15 Type V MR, and Audio Alchemy Vac-in-the-Box, and am tickled to death. Someday I'll nab a 3012, fire up the Sumiko BP Special that's been in the drawer for about 5 years, and play with some tubes at the phonostage, but I can't see replacing the TD.

Where'd you start? What have you gone throughenroute to where you are? What have you gained? And where, if anywhere, are you going from here?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

Where'd you start? What have you gone throughenroute to where you are? What have you gained? And where, if anywhere, are you going from here?

Well that is one hell of a question I was hoping no one would ever ask!

My first table was a pioneer pl-117d for $225 with a $50 cartridge. I used it for several years until CD's came out. I shoved it in the closet immediatly and switched over to CD's back in 1987. I never again wanted hear another freakin crackle or pop! In 2001 I again hooked up the pioneer after hearing about the "glorious sound". Well, that lasted about 10 minutes until I unhooked the thing again and decided it was a waste of time. In 2002 I got to talking with RLW on this forum and he assured me that if I was interested in obtaining that "glorious sound" people were talking about that he could help me get there. My initial spending amount was set at $1000 to $1500. He said that would be very tough and not likely to cover it although he would help. After much thought I finally decided that I would go with used gear that I could sell for the same price I paid in case it did not work out. I had seen people try to go the cheaper route with little success on other forums and decided it will be all or nothing since I could always sell it off anyway. (don't try this at home!). I don't know what kind of euphoria I was experiencing but I bought a Michell Gorbe, used and already upgraded. New it would have been about $4K, I got mine for $1500. The cart would have been $450, I got a used one for $150. The arm would have been $1700 new but I found one from a guy in japan for $750 new but some non-tax-paying deal or something. The preamp was an additional $1200 from hawaii from a guy with no feedback. Since it sells new for $3500 I took the chance and it worked out. So, we are looking at $3600 for almost a $10K setup. OK so it was over twice what I thought was reasonable. I kept thinking "I'm doing it right this time and if it doesn't do everything in my dreams it's GONE with little problem. Well, it's still here. I know that is more than people are willing to spend and believe me, I was pushing it to budget $1500. The thing is that if you want a particular level of equipment you have to bite the bullet to some extent. I really planed on selling the whole mess because I really didn't believe it could be worth it. In hindsite I really don't know what to think other than I must have been high or something. It really did take me to audio nirvana though. It still does.

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Sorry, but I had to ask. Thanks for the reply. Pioneer to esoteric in one "easy" step...

I'm sure you're in vinyl heaven... still leaves me to wonder, "What is the minimum admission price?"
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2003
    I am wondering the same thing myself....as I'm going to pick up my FREE AR turntable next week and take the vinyl plunge.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dcarlson
    edited October 2003
    I have to say that even with a $200 used TT, you can still enjoy vinyl emmensly. Eventually, yes I'd love to get a high end one only my current budget and plans puts it 3rd on my list of upgrades, behind speakers and speaker wire.

One thing I have noticed (talking as a single guy ;) ) is vinyl seems to be chick magnet for some reason. Every lady that's been over to my place have loved when I've spun something. :)

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    For some reason the word "spinners" comes to mind...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• madmax
    edited October 2003
    Hmmm, chic magnet huh? Never even entered my mind (as a single guy also). So how does that go? "Hey babe, I got a Michell turntable sporting a VME IV arm with a Goldring 1042 cart feeding a Modulus 3A tube preamp. Can we do it now..." Would that work???
    madmax

Edit: Maybe a little foreplay with the VPI cleaning machine would be the perfect prelude?

• dcarlson
    edited October 2003
    That would be a little much, I think. But hey, I'm single so I'm not sure if I know what the hell I'm talking about. ;) In fact, I don't understand women at all. Seriously.

The only thing I know is every women aged 21-27 that has been to my place have liked vinyl for some reason. That's all I've got. I don't get it, but I'm not complaining either. :D

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by dcarlson
    In fact, I don't understand wowen at all.

Me either!

Anyone here understand wowen? I believe it is a Mid-eastern dialect, but could also be a form of American gibberish.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dcarlson
    edited October 2003
    Ah fudge,

LMAO, whooops. :D

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by madmax
    ...Goldring...
    I know enough about women to know that this part of his "line" could get max into trouble... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• madmax
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    I know enough about women to know that this part of his "line" could get max into trouble... :D

I guess that would be a prime example of the female selective hearing process?