R10 hum

Options
aalguire
aalguire Posts: 2
edited October 2003 in Troubleshooting
I just installed a new pair of R10s and I am getting a loud hum through the speakers. All I have connected is my televison through my techics receiver. The TV is satellite and I tried disconnecting the satellite cable but the hum is still there..help?

Thanks
Post edited by aalguire on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum :)

Make sure you have the L/R speaker cables hooked up in each speaker correctly, and the same at the source, L/R.(AVR/Receiver/Amp).

Make sure you have your audio connections correct....L/R to L/R.

Do you use the same outlet for all your equipment? If not, you may very well be experiencing a ground loop problem.

OR, disconnect your TV, to include all the video sources, from your AVR/Receiver/Amp. If the hum goes away, its probably cable/video line induced interference. If the hum does not go away, it is probably ground loop interference.

This has many steps, easy steps, just get basic, and work from there.

R10's to Receiver...Receiver to wall outlet. Is as base as it gets. Add from there.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Sounds like an AC hum...

Try taking the audio feed out of the satellite box to the amp (if I read you right, you're using the TV's outputs... yes?)

Try reversing the AVR's plug (flip it 180 deg).

Try a different plug...

If none of this helps we can look at the routing of your AC power cords, interconnects and speaker runs.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Calum
    Calum Posts: 3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    If you have any lights on the same circuit they could very well be the problem as well. Flouresesnt lights are the bain of any sound engineers exisentance.
    Later
    Calum
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    aalguire,

Still an issue?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • aalguire
    aalguire Posts: 2
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I will check this wknd. Tks