He's talkin bout his damn VPI 16.5 record cleaner again...

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited October 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
OK, so yes, the VPI record cleaner makes everything sound better. (didn't we hear this before??)

Have you ever run across some test you have done that makes you feel like your going to pee your pants unless you can vent it to someone???

Tonight I played "Ce'st Chic", the lp with "Freak out" on it. (Don't ask me why). After playing it I noticed that the highs were really rolled off. You can hear up to maybe 18 Khz if you are lucky but normally the highs from 5 Khz to 12 Khz really mask it because you can hear those frequencies much better. This particular LP is VERY lacking in the 5 to 12 Khz region. At first playing it just sounded muted in the highs. After noticeing this I decided to give it a good cleaning to see if any improvement was possible. Wow (again). The highs from about 12 Khz and above really came out. This was not a particularly dirty LP. After running through the VPI cleaner it sounded real, no longer muted. The highs were extended dramaticly. You can still tell the "mid" highs were recorded low but from 12K up there is a new world of information. Absolutely mind blowing! Had the "mid" highs not been so lowly recorded I might not have noticed it so much.
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Groovie... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Man, add another component to my list of things I need to get.

Thanks a lot. :rolleyes: :p:D

I've been super carefull inspecting the used vinyl lately. It sure would be handy to have cleaning machine though.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Madmax, send me an email. dcarlson@vianet.on.ca

Your's seems to be disabled.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.