Need help selecting Receiver.

Options
dmitryk
dmitryk Posts: 2
edited October 2003 in Electronics
Hi guys I am new to the club but really need your help:

Music is more important for me than the Movies.
I am trying to select a Receiver (spending about $900 + or -) for my system:

Front: LSi15s
Surr: LSiFX
Center LSiC

Receiver I am considering so far:
1. AVR-3803
2. Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX
3. Yamaha RX-V2300 or RX-V3300
4. HK AVR 525

Any thoughts on Sony DA4ES and the new one DA3000ES ?

Can I get a receiver for that price with i-Link capability?

Thanks a lot,
Dmitry
Post edited by dmitryk on

Comments

• bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited October 2003
    Options
    If you can come up with an extra $100, you could get a new Harman Kardon 7200 from One Call, an authorized HK dealer. In the $900 - $1000 price range, you will not find a more powerful new receiver, PERIOD! S&V measured it's actual, true output with all 7 channels driven at the same time at something like 142 watts per! In that price range, I'd also maybe look at Rotel and NAD, along with the HK for primarily music, and especially for a receiver to drive LSis.
    The 3803 is a very nice machine, especially in it's processing abilities, but IMHO, I don't think the amps would be quite up to the LSis. The exact same applies to the Sony 4ES.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You say you want a 5.1 receiver that can handle the load, and will really sing? Well, I don't know what they're asking for it (it's new), but I'd be willing to bet that this thing sounds wonderful. I love their products; lush mids, smooth highs, yet forceful of bass.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Loud & Clear
    You say you want a 5.1 receiver that can handle the load, and will really sing? Well, I don't know what they're asking for it (it's new), but I'd be willing to bet that this thing sounds wonderful. I love their products; lush mids, smooth highs, yet forceful of bass.

what price range are we talking here? Looks sweet!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm not up on my receivers per say, but you need to find the one that will drive a 4 ohm load with ease. Check the makers websites or call them if that info isn't listed on the web. Let us know what you find.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Dmitry,
    having had several Denons in the past, and having all LSi setup, I went thru the process of understanding what works and what doesn't. IMO, I would not match them with Denon 3803, because of its load issue. Fireshoes uses Yamaha to drive his LSi15s, so he can give you his perspective. If I were you, I would try PElite, that is one line that I think is very capable to dip down to less than 4 ohms (nominal LSi impedance). If you can upped your budget a little, I would vote for Outlaw 950/7100 combo at $1598 (I think). Or, look into used Rotel 1055/1065 on Audiogon.com

One more thing, welcome to the forum!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • rwrvpem
    rwrvpem Posts: 32
    edited October 2003
    Options
    As much as I love my Denon 4802, I have to agree with everyone else on not going with the Denon. It is rated down to 6 ohms, but the LSi's are 4 ohm. Also, if you are mostly into music, why not look into something other than a HT receiver. I use my Denon with RTxxxi's for 60% music and 40% HT. They sound great at both, but if music is your preference, you may want to check around.

Definitely look at the ohm ratings.

Wish I could help you more, but the only 4 ohm stuff I know about is a bit out of your price range (Rotell, B&K, Marantz) maybe look at ebay for used equipment.

Good Luck
    Rick
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Not sure, HBomb, it's new this Fall. It does DD, but it doesn't mention DTS. In terms of sound, I have little doubt that it blows my Denon 2802 out of the water. Fewer bells and whistles, though.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2003
    Options
    i would say used pre pro at that price range if it is aplickable. whatever you get will have a shortened life by driveing the ls line if it is not rated a 4 ohms. going from 8-4 you dubble the curent draw
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I've got a PE VSX-37TX that I used with my Lsi's for a short amount of time. although it never went into the "Protect" mode and shut down, it ran hot driving the Lsi's. Don't hassle with receivers that are not rated for output into 4ohms, it's just not worth the possible problems.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Dmitry, a feature that appears to be the coming thing which you should give great weight to is the automatic room and speaker equalization available on Pioneer Elites(MCACC)and the new Yamaha 1400 and 2400(YPAO). The Pioneer 53TX and Yamaha 2400 would be good choices in the $700-$800 area. You can't get i.Link at this time for that money, but if you would go up to around $1,050-$1,100, the Pioneer 55TXi has it.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2003
    Options
    With your budget and needing to run LSi's with the 4 ohm load, I would try out the NAD T752. On sale right now, refurbished from an authorized NAD dealer Yawa Online for $599. Brand new it is $899.

Refurbished plus you have money left over for some nice interconnects and speaker wire which the LSi deserve in my honest opinion to get that last 10% of performance out of them.

http://www.yawaonline.com/yawaonline/nadt7re.html
  • dmitryk
    dmitryk Posts: 2
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks guys,

I think I am going to postpone that "pre-planned" purchase of a new TV (until better times) and get the sound straight first.

I have read some good reviews about the Outlaw 950/7100 combo - thank you, polkatese for pointing me to that direction.

I am now leaning towards getting it.

What about the DVD / SACD player?
    Any recommendations?

P.S.
    pjdami,
    I tried the NAD T752 at the Yawa Online, but it had been already sold. - thanks anyway.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    you're welcome! let Frank brags about his 7100 :D

Uni player choices:

Denon 2200 $500 (street) - estimate
    Denon 2900 $800 (street)
    Marantz DV8400 $1300 (street)

Have fun auditioning and report back, please...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.