Rti38 Vs Rti100

Options
Diehardone
Diehardone Posts: 14
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Rti38 Vs Rti100 if price difference is $50 btw those?

rti38 open box $110...rti100 open box $160

I guess I needed a new thread for this heh...2 questions in same post didn't get same amount of exposure..heh
More to the fact though tha I'm a labelled "Newbie" here coz. of my registeration and # of posts..lol :rolleyes:

and Again...which would be the best speaker for under $200? :D
Post edited by Diehardone on

Comments

• Diehardone
    edited September 2003
    Options
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum :)

I would buy them both at that price. Both great choices, I would simply buy what fits in your room the best.

HT or 2CH setup? What is your source?

The RTi100 is going to have some better bass, and more presence....it just goes with the tower type of speaker. The built in subwoofer is nice, but almost useless if you are using a outboard sub and AVR set to "Small" or cut at +80hz.

The RTi38 is a great bookshelf, really has alot to offer. Smaller and more versatile in placement than the RTi100. Drops into the pocket for HT the best, IMO.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Diehardone
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I made the decision with Rti100, these things rock!!!

I play ac3 files ripped from my DVD's or mp3/mpc stuff most of the time through prologic II / logic7 / Neo / Circlesurround :)

so basically I play music through 7.1 :D

I've H/K AVR 320 hooked up to optical out from audigy platinum of my computer :cool:
  • 4_everyman
    4_everyman Posts: 50
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Well, i'm glad i tuned in!

On Sunday (28 Sep) i bought a pair of RTi100s at Fry's for $249 each. They're still in the box; haven't had time to set them up yet. In reading this forum since Monday morning, i see that the RTi70 has an overwhelmingly favorable rating over the RTi100. I had mixed feelings about the RTi100 to begin with as i already have an outstanding sub (a Sunfire True Subwoofer). I can't see any reason to give that baby up. Also, there seems to be a concensus that the RTi100 is lacking midrange. That's a serious issue to me. When i bought my RTi100s, i wasn't able to compare them to the RTi70s as they were temporarily out of stock.

I've called around to the local Circuit City stores. A few around here have RTi70s and they're asking $399...if you can find them! Fry's has them for $179. I don't get it, but i ain't complaining. I'm taking a trip after dinner tonight to exchange my RTi100s for RTi70s.

Just wanted to thank the forum members for being so vocal about their opinions of the 70s and 100s.

--Pete
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Diehardone
    I made the decision with Rti100, these things rock!!!

I play ac3 files ripped from my DVD's or mp3/mpc stuff most of the time through prologic II / logic7 / Neo / Circlesurround :)

so basically I play music through 7.1 :D

I've H/K AVR 320 hooked up to optical out from audigy platinum of my computer :cool:

I would love to copair music and info on burning dts or DD5.1 music.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by 4_everyman
    Well, i'm glad i tuned in!

On Sunday (28 Sep) i bought a pair of RTi100s at Fry's for $249 each. They're still in the box; haven't had time to set them up yet. In reading this forum since Monday morning, i see that the RTi70 has an overwhelmingly favorable rating over the RTi100. I had mixed feelings about the RTi100 to begin with as i already have an outstanding sub (a Sunfire True Subwoofer). I can't see any reason to give that baby up. Also, there seems to be a concensus that the RTi100 is lacking midrange. That's a serious issue to me. When i bought my RTi100s, i wasn't able to compare them to the RTi70s as they were temporarily out of stock.

I've called around to the local Circuit City stores. A few around here have RTi70s and they're asking $399...if you can find them! Fry's has them for $179. I don't get it, but i ain't complaining. I'm taking a trip after dinner tonight to exchange my RTi100s for RTi70s.

Just wanted to thank the forum members for being so vocal about their opinions of the 70s and 100s.

--Pete

Rock on and good luck with snatchin up a pair of 70's! I still have to return my 100s to CC.. The 70's are great speakers!
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • 4_everyman
    4_everyman Posts: 50
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by eclypse
    Rock on and good luck with snatchin up a pair of 70's! I still have to return my 100s to CC.. The 70's are great speakers!

So i buzzed down to Fry's last night with my RTi100s (still sealed) intent on making an exchange for RTi70s. I brought four CDs with me that i frequently use to audition speakers ("Wrecking Ball" by Emmylou Harris, "Secret Story" by Pat Metheny, "The Soul of Many Places" by Iain Matthews, and Steely Dan "Gold"). I know those records extremely well so i know what to listen for.

It was a slow night in the Home Stereo section at Fry's, so i had the Polk room to myself for well over an hour! My intention was to compare the RTi70s with the RTi100s. The salesman i dealt with when i bought the RTi100s gave me quick lesson on using the switch panel and he left me alone, checking in every 20 minutes or so. That was nice.

It took very little time to decide that the sound of the RTi70s was much more pleasing to my ear. The midrange was much more "present" (for the lack of a better word). The bass was stronger from the RTi100, but lack of midrange was obvious as well as unappealing.

Then, just to amuse myself, i started comparing the RTi70 to the RTi150. This is where things got interesting. Up to this point, i was quite excited about the RTi70, but switching back and forth between the RTi70s and RTi150s revealed something i can only describe as a "transparency" exhibited by the RTi150s that i didn't hear in the other speakers. The RTi70-to-RTi100 comparison took less than 10 minutes. The RTi70-to-RTi-150 comparison was more complex, took much longer, but was more rewarding. Both speakers have their merits and either would work spendidly in my Home Theater, but in the end i went with a pair of Cherry RTi150s! I think the Cherry cabinetry will make my wife happpy, too. I think she's not too crazy about the "overabundance" (her words) of black boxes in our Home Theater room.

This weekend i'll be setting up the new speakers. My old speaker setup was five NHT SuperZeros and a Sunfire True Subwoofer. I'm hanging on to the sub, but my new speaker arrangement will be:
    * RTi150s - mains
    * CSi-40 - center
    * FXi-50 - surrounds

It should sound...different. I'll check back in after it's set up.

--Pete
  • Diehardone
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It's matter of personal taste I guess.

I listen most of the music using Dolby Pro Logic II etc so I guess that's the reason it didn't matter much.

Rti100 ROCK!!!

I am using small subwoofers in Rti100 as extra punch with my separate subwoofer....sounds GOOOOOD to me!!! :cool:

Everyone to his own castle I guess..;)