New guy here > Will this system sound ok?

Turbota
Turbota Posts: 255
edited December 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
First off, since I'm a new guy here, I just want to say hello to everyone.

With that said, I have a question or two.

I used to be into 2 channel audio a long long time ago. Since then, I have sold or given away the Teac A-6300 reel to reel tape deck, the Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette deck, the Pioneer TX-9500 II tuner, the Pioneer HPM 1500 speakers and a set of JBL monitors.

That just left me with 2 items: A Pioneer Spec 1 pre-amp and a Pioneer Spec 4 power-amp.

I then needed speakers and a some kind of music source. So, I have ordered a set of Polk RTi70 fronts, a set of Polk RTi38 rears, a Rava powered subwoofer and a Pioneer DV-563A (CD/DVD/MP3) player.

Just wondering if you knowledgable folks think this will be a worthwhile setup? Again, i'm no expert ...

SPEC-1_front.jpg

SPEC-4.jpg

Ron,
2-Channel Audio
Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
Post edited by Turbota on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    You're kidding right?

No, it will sound HORRIBLE. Just send them to ME instead.

-R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2003
    Gold jerry....
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Turbota
    edited September 2003
    Well, the reason I was asking is that I was going to sell the Pioneer amps and just order a new 5.1 home theater A/V type setup. That way it would give me surround sound (which 2 channel won't produce).

Anyway, I was told that the new A/V systems won't sound as good as 2 channel audio if just playing music (ie: CDs). I found that hard to believe since I have heard surround sound, and it was really nice.

Well, I gave up on the idea of the 5.1 system because about the only thing I watch on TV anymore is CNN. And you certainly don't need 6 speaker system for that.

So, back to my question. Just wanted to know if combining the speaker set-up I just ordered and the older Pioneer amps will make for good music, or should I have gone a different route. I can tell you this, I picked out the Polk RTi70 speakers mainly for there looks and afordability, however, Polk has allways produced quality speakers in the past.

Again, I am NOT an audio expert, to say the least.

Thanks for any input,
    Ron
    2-Channel Audio
  • Turbota
    edited September 2003
    BTW, since both the front and rear speakers are Polks, I was going to purchase a Polk 404 powered sub, however, I was told that the Rava powered subwoofer would be a better choice at the same price as the 404 ($399)

I haven't taken delivery of any of these speakers yet.

Ron,
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2003
    looks good to me!

does the pioneer have four channels? just wondering why you ordered surround sound speakers if you're mainly interested in 2 channel...

the rava is a GREAT sub from everything I've read. I'm sure it's better than the 404. The Shiva driver in the rava is a great driver for the money!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    The Spec series from Pioneer will certainly bring PLENTY of coin on the used market. If I had them, I would do whatever it took to hang onto them. They aren't *real* common on the market, most people won't part with em'.

The whole receiver topic is HUGE. I suggest a post with your budget, and wants (5.1, 7.1, etc) and the guys can start narrowing the playing field.

You don't HAVE to spend a ton, to have a GREAT sounding HT. I say don't even hook up the 38's right now, just run the 70's off the Spec gear. The preamp should have 2 sets of pre-outs, you can use one to send a signal to the Rava.

Nutshelled, go 2.1 now with the GREAT gear you already have. Start pricing receivers, find what you want, save accordingly and most importantly - KEEP THE PIONEER RIG. I have a feeling once the HT rig is done - you'll start looking at 2ch again.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Turbota
    edited September 2003
    Thanks for the replys.

As far as the Spec amps, I guess they are 2 channel. I just bought a pair of 70s and a pair of 38s so I could have both front and rears.

A long time ago, I powered the front HPM 1500s and the rear JBLs with this amp. It sounded better to me having front and rear speakers vs just 2 front speakers. That why I ordered the 4 Polks this time around. BTW, the Spec 4 power amp does have terminals in the back for 4 speakers (Front Lft & Rt / Rear Lft & Rt)

As far as the subwoofer, I was told I could also use it with the others, but as of right now, I don't have a clue as how to wire that extra sub woofer up. I will have to cross that bridge when I get to it.
    2-Channel Audio
  • Turbota
    edited September 2003
    Poor picture, but as you may be able to see, the back of the Spec 1 pre-amp has lots of speaker wire connections. I am at work right now, so I can't look at the amps, but maybe the sub can be hooked up to those extra 4 terminals on the far left. The power amp has the same number of terminals of course.

I just pulled this pic off the web.

SPEC-1_rear.jpg
    2-Channel Audio
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2003
    Very nice stuff there Ron! How many w/ch is that amp?

Maurice
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2003
    Looks like some great vintage gear, keep it, and make a nice 2CH setup.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Turbota
    edited September 2003
    Thanks ...

It'150 w per channel
    2-Channel Audio
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    OK, Ima call dibs should our boy here decide to part with the Pioneer gear......

As far as wiring up your sub, I would run your speaker wires (L+R) to your sub, then out from the sub to the RTi70's. Set the crossover on the sub to wherever you like it (probably in the 50-80hz range) and go from there.

Man, that gear makes my pants go CRAZY

Welcome to the forum.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    I've already got dibs you fat ****.
  • Turbota
    edited September 2003
    You guys are like a bunch of hungry Hyenas ! :D

Profile for RusSmaN: Interests > Audio, Women, Beer, Horsepower, 'Huffing' paint

I'm into horsepower myself, however, huffing paint is for loosers. Try huffing "engine starter fluid" in the spray can ... Much better results :D

Ron,

Silver 98 Pont TA, Yank 2800 stall Converter, 'Total Engine Airflow' Ported Cyl Heads, 220/220 .553"/.553" @.050" lift Cam, FLP Long Tube Headers w Cats, SLP Dual/Dual CatBack, LS6 Corvette Intake, Katech Ported Oil Pump, Hotchkis Suspension Parts

12.15 ET @ 114 mph (daily driver)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I've already got dibs you fat ****.

Hey, don't get pissed just because I beat you to it......it's over, deal with it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited October 2003
    You guys and your "subs" (kidding). With great vintage equipment like that, why buy a sub? Especially for an "audio" system. Subs are evil (flamesuit, on). Your Polk's will provide you with deep, distortion free, realistic bass notes.

I can maybe see a sub-woofer with a home theater set-up, but not with an audio setup intended for music listening. Spend that money and upgrade something else in the system.

I dunno, maybe its just me--but I've never liked the artificial emphasis on bass that sub-woofers provide in most cases. Sure, properly set-up and with judicious use, they can enhance the experience; but most people "over-use" the sub-woofer, or don't place it properly in the room to minimize bloat.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2003
    ED ZACHARY!

I'm beginning to like this guy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Ed or Steve?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2003
    ME tinglefutz, ME.
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    I hope to have a subwoofer some day that will make **** shoot out of my **** like a Taco Bell thunderbolt.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    ME tinglefutz, ME.
    U "tinglefutz"???
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2003
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Feel the need for a real bowel-mover there Doro?

No I meant 'ME tinglefutz (tour), me'
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    Russ - Yep, I want to make a huge subwoofer disguised as my HT room sofa. Remove the fold out bed, and create a box....damn I was joking, but now I am excited ;)
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited October 2003
    Just do what I did....
    Buy a pair of Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's....
    There........problem solved. In fact....all problems......solved.
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2003
    Is this the true 411 on the Spec 2? Carver designed? On loan from Crown?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3063661470&category=39783
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2003
    AGAIN I'm with F1. Ditch the sub idea and stay with full range speakers (REAL full range).

I'm not buying into the Carver designed Spec product.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2003
    Agree GG... sounded funny and looked like a photoshop job in the ad...

I e-mailed the seller to see if he can offer any added info...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited December 2003
    Here's the Q&A...

==========================================
    > Hello. I was not aware Carver was ever involved in Pioneer amp designs.
    > The spec 2's were around the time he worked for Phase Linear... yes?
    > Do you have any info or links that state his involvement? PLease don't
    > take question as a chellenge of your ad, I'm just an audio history novice
    > trying to learn a bit..
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Hi, this info came from an extremely reliable source.Richard
    ===========================================

Well I guess that confirms it... :rolleyes:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli