Which Brand Subwoofer Cable Should I Use?

Options
gyver65
gyver65 Posts: 13
I have a Pioneer VSX-D908S and just purchased the Polk RM7200 speakers with the Polk PSW550 sub despite all of the negative feedback I have read about the Polk subs. But I figured that since this is my first powered sub I will see a huge improvement over my current system which is a Pioneer HTP package. My current sub has no bass.

I haven't received the system yet but I ordered a used system off ebay for $775 shipped. It is a year old and it is scheduled to arrive on Thursday.

My receiver has the left and right front preouts. Should I buy 2 subwoofer cables and connect them to the left and right line connections of the PSW550 sub? Any particular brand of sub cable?

Should I connect all speakers directly to the receiver and set fronts to large, surrounds and center to small, and sub off (or auto)? I need to buy new speaker cable also. Should I go with a 12 gauge monster cable?

Thanks!
Robert
Post edited by gyver65 on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gyver65

Should I connect all speakers directly to the receiver and set fronts to large, surrounds and center to small, and sub off (or auto)? I need to buy new speaker cable also. Should I go with a 12 gauge monster cable?

Thanks!
    Robert

Yes and maybe.
    For speaker packages such as yours (which is pretty sweet), I suggest hooking it up as you suggest. I believe that when you receive your speakers, the manual will say the same, but I could be wrong. You could always use a spare video cable as a sub cable to try it both ways.
    12 awg is good and should be considered to be the minimum between receiver and sub. From sub to speakers it may be overkill (depending on your length), but it's best to be safe.
    Monster is a good brand. You might be able to get better at the same or for less, but they are deffinately a standard by which most manufacturers go by. Acoustic Research and Radio Shack can offer some very good cable at very reasonable prices though.

Good luck!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2003
    Options
    look at sigonal cabble
    http://signalcable.com/speaker_cables.html
    great stuff and will give you a disc for being a club polk member

i mean great sutff i have the analog 2 with bullets soon i will be getting a good componet cabble from him.
  • gyver65
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I have an extra monster audio/video cable. It has the blue band on one and the red band on the other cable. So could I actually use that as the subwoofer cable and hook it up from the left & right preouts of the receiver to the left & right line in of the sub?

Thanks again!
    Robert
  • gyver65
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Also, I have heard about using 12 gauge wire from Home Depot for speakers.

On their website they have:
    250 feet
    12 gauge
    4 conductor
    stranded solid core copper wire all for about $62.50

Would this be a better choice than going with the monster cable?

Thanks!
  • glemay
    glemay Posts: 574
    edited October 2003
    Options
    gyver65,

I'm using the home depot 12 gauge and seems to work fine, but I've never tried monster or any cable of that caliber.
    Main System:
    Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
    Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a