Please help...SDA 2.3tl SL3000 bad...

Options
bdaley6509
bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
edited September 2003 in Speakers
Is the SL3000 tweeter available from Polk anymore...? If not can they repair them? One of mine is completely dead...Does Polk have a replacement model if they do not sell the SL3000 anymore? Anyone here in the Forum have an extra to sell?
If so e-mail me at bdaley@wideopenwest. Thanks for the help.
Post edited by bdaley6509 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,865
    edited September 2003
    Options
    The SL3000 is no longer available, but seeing as how Polk has the BEST customer service in the world they offer a replacement which I believe is the SL2000T. You will probably have to replace all your tweeters for a good match.

Did yours fry or just stop working? I don't know of anybody that has repaired one, but I have taken them apart, so if you want to do that, let me know.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bdaley6509
    edited September 2003
    Options
    It fried...you can see where it looks like it melted around the edges...can that be repaired? I will pay $200.00 if anyone has a replacement.
  • bdaley6509
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Also, does the replacement from Polk look the same...If I go that route, I'll probably only replace 2...one in each speaker...
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2003
    Options
  • bdaley6509
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Unfortunately...those are the SL2000. Might be an ok option if I can't find an exact replacement, however.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    bd,
    Call Polk CS, Ken or Helen (the parts lady).

When I ordered the 2000T's for Russ, I think Helen told me the replacement for the 3000 is now the 2500T, but can't swear to it.

I'd suggest you buy two and replace the identical tweet in both channels. Should match sound and yield you a spare 3000.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    SL3000 and SL2000 tweeters are like gold, well that is, for Polk nutballs.....oh wait, I am one too....Polk Enthusiasts is what I meant.

I thought the 2500T was the overall replacement? For all of them?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by bdaley6509
    It fried...you can see where it looks like it melted around the edges...can that be repaired? I will pay $200.00 if anyone has a replacement.

The same exact thing just happened to me yesterday and no it can not be repaired. Two hundred dollars...hmmmmmmm.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey that sounds like a notable offer J.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bdaley6509
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Is that a hmmmmmmmm.....here is my paypal address...send me the money and I'll ship your tweeter...or just a regular hmmmmm........
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I think it was a "gee $200 is tempting, but since I just lost my first tweet and a second one is smelling funny, I'll have to think about it" reply...

And sorry bd, didn't read one of your posts through where you already mentioned the "buy 2" plan...

OK, here's a thought...
    Given that each SDA with multiple tweeters per channel has a primary tweeter, should the tweeters be rotated, kind of like you do your tires?

It was the right ch primary that went bye-bye on you, right F1?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2003
    Options
    It was his right channel, primary. F1 rotates his tweeters...that sounds dirty.
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    It was his right channel, primary. F1 rotates his tweeters...that sounds dirty.
    OK, but are they like radials or bias plys??? :D

And I for one will not judge a man based upon what he does with his tweeters in the privacy of his own home...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Definitely radials. :D

You guys talk about me, at least I'm not putting body parts in power ports, ala Russman.........lol

bd, that is a let me think about it kinda hmmmmmmmmm.

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey $200 you said for one SL3000? hmmmm ....it is so tempting. I have some spares:D

OR I will pull out one of my 1.2TL's SL3000's

Har
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Here's the SL3000's maybe you wanted:D
  • bdaley6509
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Har...you are the man...an hour ago I would have bought them in an instant...but listen to this. I called my local stereo shop and told them the sad story to see if they could fix it. He said no................................................."but we do have new SL3000 tweeters in stock!!". I bought them all (4 of them) for $50.00 each. Thanks again for the help on the forum. You guys are great.
  • bdaley6509
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Almost forgot...my 1.2TL's are coming this week....bought them for Aero. Can't wait.....!!
    1.2tl + 2.3tl = Sheer bliss!
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Excellent bd.... glad for you on both counts...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I talked with Ken today about the SL3000's and the fluid, he said it's suppose to be sticky, so I feel better about that. The new replacement for the SL3000 is the RD0198-1. He said they have sold hundreds of them, all with positive feedback. The specs are the same, flat response and all. The only difference noted was that they may not be as fast, but that most wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It seems that some folks actually think the new tweeter is better than the SL3000, a little less forward. I'm going to demo one and report back to Ken what I think.

bd,

Whew, that made it easier for me. Glad you got what you needed.
    Where are you located, I'm going to check all the hi-fi shops in your area.....four new ones huh!?!

President of Club Polk

• bdaley6509
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Yeah..I got lucky. I actually had that new tweeter on order today (2 of them). I ordered them from Ken at Polk. Only problem I saw is that they are black and not silver (dome). That would be a little strange unless all were replaced. I cancelled my order after I located my new ones. Let me know how the demo goes. Thanks.