Painting In-wall speaker covers

Options
PolkThug
PolkThug Posts: 7,532
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I have some RC55i's that I want to paint, but I'm worried about clogging up the grills. Has anyone done this yet? On the backside of the grill, there is a thin layer of fabric which looks like it could be a problem.
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Check the owners manual online. I noticed while I was browsing the new LCi manuals that they had painting suggestions.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Jesus man, take the paper off the grill! It's just there for shipping.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I would assume that once you remove the metal grill the thin fabric would come away easily. Use thin coats of spray paint held about a foot away in a back and forth motion.

If you mess them up I'll delete this post and deny anything.:D
    Make it Funky! :)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Actually, it's there for painting too.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Actually, it's there for painting too.
    ... with the grilll on, but not to be left in place after painting... yes?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Ed Zachry.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I removed and discarded the fabric. I painted the grills with spray paint.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2003
    Options
    let me get this strait you should remove the fabric off the grill even if you dont paint? thanks.. ps how do you remove the grill after insaalling them? just a queston i am not finished with my install but i just need the wire and to nstall the covers.
  • wallstreet
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    let me get this strait you should remove the fabric off the grill even if you dont paint?

Yes

how do you remove the grill after insaalling them?
    Use a needle or paper clip. Stick it in the side and pull out. Once installed, you shouldn't have to do this though.
  • PolkThug
    edited September 2003
    Options
    It's not packing, lol.

Okay, I will remove the thin piece of fabric that is on the inside of the grill, and spray paint them. I was nervous to do so, because I thought it was there for acoustic purposes, which it may be.
  • wallstreet
    edited September 2003
    Options
    the less material between you and your speaker, the better the sound. Kind of like condoms if you know what I mean.:rolleyes:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Jesus Wall.......Russ had the incriminating picture, but for God's sake, PLEASE no more information about you and your 'special bond' you have wtih your speaks........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • PolkThug
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I removed the fabric and grills and spray painted them black. I will probably paint the rest of the speaker housing later. You can see a pic at the system showcase.
  • Mstoller71
    Mstoller71 Posts: 1
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It says in the owners manual that the fabric is in the grill so that you don't see the components through the grill. It goes on to say that you should remove the fabric for painting, placing it on a flat surface, and then replace it only after the paint is dry.
  • trackofalljades
    Options
    The instructions that came with my RT speakers specifically says not to worry about or remove the scrim behind their grilles, so I'd just leave it be.

11LlgOu.jpg

DXgGKic.jpg
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    13 year old thread man...