Bi-Amp?????

Options
opus007
opus007 Posts: 17
Would like to give bi-amping a shot.I have the rt-800i's.My ? is can I use the A/B switch on my Sony STR-DE845 to do this.It lets me set it to where I can use both A&B at once I just have to set it to 4ohms insted of 8ohms.
Post edited by opus007 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Its ghetto bi-amping, but yes! It can be done! However it defeats the purpose, as you are still running them off of one amp! lol!

I tried it today on my RTi70 (model after your RT800i) and I found no benefits, give it a try and see what u hear......
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Sid's right... you would not be bi-amping, you would essentially be bi-wiring. But try it and leave the setting to 8 ohm if that's what your speakers are rated.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Bi-amping requires 2 seperate amplifiers, one for low frequencies, one for mid/highs. You'll miss the "effect" completely otherwise. Bi-amping will give you cleaner mid/high range if you have a very "revealing" (read that: expensive) system and don't scrimp on speaker cables.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2