The "Magic Desk"

George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited October 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Announcing the opening of the ORIGINAL "Magic Closet"(don't be fooled by cheap substitutes) Annex, The "Magic Desk". The "Magic Desk" is located on McGuire AFB, and has so far yielded:

Polk Monitor 10B's in immaculate condition with all original manuals, shipping materials and boxes. UNFORTUNEATLY, all 4 mid-drivers are blown up. What was this guy doing? I know this bums a great many of you out... but wait! While I myself was feeling distraught about that, the "Magic Desk" coughed up a pair of mint Polk RT-5's. Two days, two pair of Polks. It's a sign.

A Fisher 500C tube receiver, thank you very much.

A Adcom GSP-560 surround processor/amps.

A NAD 2150 power amp, box and manual.

A lot of other things I forgot already.

If you're passing by my desk at work, and want to leave hi-fi stuff there, go ahead. It seems to be trendy, and will demonstrate to others, that you are a cool and with it person.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
Post edited by George Grand on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2003
    I hate you.

;)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • George Grand
    edited September 2003
    Admit it, you don't hate me..... you hate your desk.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    edited September 2003
    I Hate you too. I don't have an office desk, so I can't hate my desk! hahhaha!

Man you are lucky! To dang lucky! I wish people gave me Hi-Fi gear! I bet ol George does some dirty jobs for audio equiptment!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • George Grand
    edited September 2003
    Bet I don't. You just have to be where it is. Flea markets, yard/garage sales, thrift shops. Getting an amp for 5, 10 bucks is damn near as good as getting it for free. Just because you don't see anything, don't mean it's not there. I can't tell you how many times a simple "Any stereo stuff?" gets a positive response from the attic, basement, or back room.

Other recent gimme's were a pair of AR-18bxi speakers. 8" two-way with a dome tweet. Surrounds are shot. I was in Phoenix, and when I called home to check on the loonies, my wife told me my neighbor Dean (the guy with 4 small Maggies) had e-mailed me that he was going to trash them if I didn't want them. Made my daughter go down the block and hump them home before the garbage guys got them. Pristine, cement-like cabinets.

A Marantz 7100DC 60 or 70wpc receiver. Works fine but it's a dog. Not their best effort, but a fine garage amp.

BIC FM-10 Beam Box Fm Antenna - Ultra cool-man item

EPI 100V speakers - got them for free with surrounds shot. Managed to find a pair of exact replacement 8" woofs for almost nothing. Great acoustic suspension design with inverted dome tweeter.

EPI Magnum or Magnus 10 speakers - 10" sealed box (I think) with a horn tweeter. The woof surrounds are shot. I gotta fix these and get rid of them. Horn freakin tweeter. These things came with the Beam Box and Marantz receiver. Also a Marantz double-cassette deck, and Technics turntable.

A recent steal of a purchase was a pair of Altec-Lansing 85 speakers in mint shape. They are little jewels and will be staying close by.

APT Holman pre-amp - world class preamp from the early 70's designed by Tom Holman, the THX guy. I got this in Brooklyn for almost nothing. Not a scratch on it. I will soon be placing this in my 2 channel home theater rig.

Onkyo Integra M-504 power amp - another steal, 165wpc @ 8 ohms, this too will be going into my HT rig, driving the upper prtion of my AR-9's. The lower portions, the 4 twelve inch woofers are being driven by a 200wpc Onkyo Integra M-5090.

BIC V52S speakers - cute little pentagons in a rock solid cabinet.

Boston Acoustics HD-5(?) I picked these up at a yard sale, gave them to my neighbor Fred for what I paid for them. He has Boston Acoustics towers for mains in his HT rig. Bose garbage for surrounds. I told him to put the Bose on e-bay. He did. He got ALMOST what he paid for them, and 3 times what he paid me for the BA's, and a much better pair of speakers to boot!

I got a lot of other stuff recently, but like I said, I forgot what it was.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited September 2003
    Guys, it's real simple, just stop to smell the "roses" every once in a while and you'll be surprised what you could pick up. eBay is not the deal maker everyone preaches that it is. The Good 'Ole Boy network harbors many, many smokin deals than any auction house. Also, one man's junk/trash is another man's gold. lastly, just because it's old doesn't mean it isn't any good.

Just talk to people, stop at the yard sales and flea marts, take a look around. Put some feelers out. Nobody is going to know that you are looking for a deal on something if you don't say something. But, just because it isn't flashy and new and has a name you don't recognize doesn't mean it's junk or not worth your time.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Jstas,
    might i ask...who are you preaching to about old and new? I own 10-15 year old amps, followed by a 14 year old subwoofer.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Jstas
    edited September 2003
    OK, fine. You missed the point entirely but I'll concede to your greatness because you own stuff that is as old as you are. Sorry for trying to help. I won't let it happen again.

• VR3
    edited September 2003
    No,
    I'm fine with your post. I was actually aquiring from your original post that it was to me. That im a youth and New is good, Old is bad, lights are good, lights are bad. Why did I think that? Because no one in this thread said old was bad, or lights were bad. You just talked about it...

Sorry for my confusion. No I'm not great for owning stuff as old as me. Infact, I don't like my subwoofer...it's sold anyways. Can't wait to get my *new* one!
  • Jstas
    edited September 2003
    Um, no child. You took it as me being like everyone here that you can't stand. You thought I was taking a shot at you. You flipped your lid and missed my point entirely. Yes I said that old doesn't mean bad. Do you think you are going to find NIB stuff at a yard sale or flea market?

I don't really care how old your equipment is and I don't care if you got your panties in a bunch because you think I'm that shallow. My whole point is that the best stuff doesn't always grab your attention and too many people run through life so fast, they never take the time to stop and look at something that isn't so nice looking or isn't so attention grabbing.

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2003
    Congrats Mr. Grand. You, Russ and Troy have this super ability to find great deals. Wanna sell me that Fisher 500C;)?

I agree, there are plenty of great stuff out there. You just have to look and ask.

I remember how I got the Dynakit. I met this guy at work over a year ago. On our smoke break I told him I was into audio and he tells me that he used to be into it as well. He told me about this amp he has that lights up like a city. I immediately knew he was talking about tubes. He couldn't remember the brand or model# though.
    After that I would bug him about it everytime I see him. I'd tell him to sell it to me, blah, blah, blah. Finally after about 10 months of begging, he agreed to trade the amp for my Oink receiver. It was hard work but well worth it.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by Jstas
    ...one man's junk/trash is another man's gold.
    Major factor there, e.g., GG's neighbor that was trashing Maggies... sounds like something my Mom would do... I'd be worreid about the Orginal Advent I have stashed at her place, if they weren't too heavy for her to lift... :)

Also agree on the ebay point. I've nailed bargains where the unknowing have set a BIN well below market value, otherwise you pay for the convenience of nation/ world wide coverage while not having to move out of a chair... Like the AR LST's that just sold for $2400+.

Well, Russ has inspired me to start putting together a weekly route. And George has inspired me to put a desk out in my driveway.... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Anything I know about gear (admittedly little) I can attribute most of to a handful of folks here...primarily Mr. Grand, Russ, Tour and a few others.

Far as the deals go, patientce and being observant are the two biggies. Around here, the pawn and thrift scene is almost non-existent. Mostly big name pawn chains so if they have something, they want top dollar.

Hey, Friday I bagged a as new Onkyo P3200 preamp with original box, manual, remote for 39 bones.......I also found an Onk M5160 (150wpc amp) for just a few more dollars for the lovely Wendi's 2ch rig. I'll set it up for her but I made her promise to quit trying to get me to use Brylcreme and smoke Lucky Strikes.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Gracias my DQ mentoring bro...

LSMFT...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    De nada, amigo....thanks to you for a lot more than that.

Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco.....actually, George and my old man are the only two people that I've ever seen actually smoke those things. I never picked up the habit.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Yeah, and you don't need Brylcreme... more like "Butch Wax"... (someone still make that?)

God, now I feel old...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Big Dan R
    Big Dan R Posts: 131
    edited September 2003
    Tour, the Advent 104 circa 1972?
    BDR
  • George Grand
    edited September 2003
    My neighbor Dean isn't trashing the 4 little Maggies. He just got those. It was the AR-18's that were headed for the end of the driveway. Out of his mind. The cabinets are beautiful. So they need a re-foam on the 8" woofs. Big deal. I didn't need them, but I took them. In house, right now:

ADC 303ax On my desk at work.
    AR-9 My HT speakers
    AR-18bxi need re-foam
    Advent Model 3
    Advent/The "New" Advent Loudspeaker (1979) Stephie's bedroom
    Advent "Graduate" need two tweeters
    Advent Mini's
    Altec-Lansing Model 85 Keepers
    Audiophile Cubes
    Auratone 5c From the late audio guru, Leonard Feldman
    BIC V52s
    Boston Acoustics BA 735 Sub/Sat Computer speaks
    Carver Amazing Platinum Mk. IV's My 2 channel speakers
    E-V Model 7
    E-V Marquis The biggest **** garage speakers I know of. Used them for yrs.
    EPI 100V
    EPI Magnus 10 10" two way w/horn tweet. Need re-foam
    Fisher XP-65K
    JBL J-325A Just got them today. 10" ported three way
    KEF Model 102 Keepers
    KLH Model 24
    KLH Model 6 Two pairs, one in Tiffany's bedroom.
    KLH 911
    Lafayette Criterion 100A
    Lafayette Criterion 2a (2ax?)
    Marantz HLM-208 El Garagus Speakus
    Parasound BPI-60 passive sub
    Pioneer ?'s Garage speakers for sure, but not my garage.
    Polk Monitor 10B need 4 mid drivers, cabs are immaculate
    Polk RT-5
    RA Labs Mini Reference Definite Keepers
    Realistic Minimus 7 Enough to do a 7 channel system
    Realistic Minimus 77 One size larger than the 7's
    Realistic Optimus LX-4 Has "Linaeum" tweeter
    Sansui ?'s More garage speakers for someone.
    Technics SB-S25's Unbelievable but true, awesome little bricks in wood, with 4" woofs and little dome tweets.

There's more. I just don't remember what they are, or where they are.

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited September 2003
    wow next sunday im definetely hittin up the flea market, i always figured there wouldnt be any good audio stuff there....i feel like such an idiot now
  • George Grand
    edited October 2003
    TODAY, the "Magic Desk" hacked, wheezed, and then coughed up a perfectly mint Pioneer CT-WM70R auto-reverse 6 cassette changer.

Not to be outdone, when I got home, my computer coughed up an e-mail from my 4 Maggie owning neighbor Dean, who has a DVD/CD player whose DVD function is **** up, and he can't bear to look at it anymore. Guess I'll be finally auditioning those Maggie's tonight, when I go to pick up my new garage cd player.

• VR3
    edited October 2003
    beastard.