Bi-Amping the RTi150s

Options
Solaris
Solaris Posts: 19
edited September 2003 in Speakers
I have the Denon 3801 and I'm getting a Adcom 555II to add more juice to my new pride and joy 150s. My question is how do you bi-amp so that the 3801 will power the highs while the Adcom will power the lows. Or is it better to bypass the Denon amp entirely and let the Adcom bi-wire the 150s.

Thank you for your advice.
Post edited by Solaris on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I would not mix Adcom and Denon. TWO TOTALLY different sound. Infact, the Adcom will make the Denon look like jello.

I would run Adcom, just adcom. Forget the Denon.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Solaris
    Solaris Posts: 19
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Sid,

You have some Adcoms, don't you? How do you like them. I got a good deal on the 555II on Ebay but this is my first experiment with separate amps. I don't much about it accept that Adcom is "Most bang for Buck" type of amp. I don't know how well it will manage delicate music so that's why I thought of using it to power the lows only.

Thanks for the response.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I did this with my Onkyo power amp and my integra receiver, Bi-amped my rti70's.. althought it was the same amp and receiver brand, I say it will work fine.. try it and see..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I love Adcom! lol! I own 3 of them!

Great sounding amps, mesh very well with Polk Audio. Infact -- Polk reccomends them for their speakers on some part of their Audio Education part of the site.

They have a very powerful sound. Very detailed and clear. The highs are crystal clear, and they are stable down to 2 ohms. Very low THD, tell you when they are about the clip. They have very clear, articulate mids, very textured and seperated. The bass is punchy and accurate. They make a very big bang for the buck amp. Were talking a 200x2 amp for 350 bucks. Thats a great deal, sometimes go for much cheaper. I have the 545 and 535. Both great amps.

The 535 (original) was a legend.

Adcom makes great stuff.

I would definetely try it on the lows with the denon on the mids and highs. However, I can almost garuntee the 555 will sound 100% better on the mids and highs than the denon, and still will pump out the lows. The 555 is a monster.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum :)

Try it out, no need to get crazy yet. Adcom should provide you with a nice change in quality and output for your system. You will eventually go insane tho', make sure you have insurance. ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.