blew something up on the marantz

Options
nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited September 2003 in Electronics
I believe that I've just damaged my Marantz 2220B receiver. First, I have the speakers on the "remote" speaker terminals, as I was planning on later adding the Polks to the "Main" speaker terminals.

Okay, here's what happened... I've been listening to music all morning, actually getting a chance to get this receiver cranked up to where it can really shine. The receiver had been performing admirably, hardly even breaking a sweat. No distortion, no dimming of the front panel.... nothing. I had just gotten done listening to one artist, and was searching around for something else. When I started the next song, it happened to be a bit louder than the previous artist. Not amp-fryingly loud, by any means, but louder nonetheless.

Suddenly, my right channel goes quiet and all staticy and stuff. There's still sound, but it's much quieter and has a lot of static interlaced. I turned the receiver off for an hour while I did some chores, then came back and the same thing was still happening. Here's the weird part.... I pushed the mono button on the receiver, and the channel came back to life. I was thinking this was very strange, so I checked the headphones... they are not effected at all. So I put the speakers on the "main" terminals, and they play fine in both stereo and mono! So the only terminals that are effected are the remote ones, and they're only when it's in stereo mode. What did I do to this poor amp?

I hope it's nothing permanent. I saw no smoke, and there's no smell like burning electronics. And like I said, the thing barely even warms up, even after an hour or two of use. I know that it has two internal fuses, but you'd think that if one of those went, it wouldn't have sound at all, right?

Thanks in advance,

nadams
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• nadams
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Well, now it's doing it on the mains too. I was listening to some music at a nominal volume (believe me, it wasn't loud.... I'm nervous enough already...) and suddenly the channel cut out. I went up to the speakers and it was doing the same thing, but then it came back in for a few seconds, but then went back out. I cycled the mono button and it stayed on for a few secs, then cut out. Now it, too, will only work in Mono.

Thoughts? Is there some wiring or something that I can check? I mean, maybe this amp has had this problem all along and I just didn't know it. I mean, I just picked it up, myself. The only thing I did to it was clean the volume rheostat because it was staticy.

DooD
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,658
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I have the same problem with my 2252B. Ken S had some troubleshooting ideas in the attached thread. I haven't had time to try them yet. Hope this helps- Good luck!

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11756&highlight=interesting+web+site
  • nadams
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I had forgotten about that thread, thanks. I guess I'll check the fuses. What's weird is that now it seems to be working in stereo. It's very intermittant. I'll have to just wait and see what it does today. Thanks,

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    na,
    Does not sound like a fuse issue to me. Fuse would not be intermittent.

In addition to the volume control you likely need to clean the receiver's Input selector, balance and tone control pots. Also clean any output selection option switches (speakers, loudness, mono/stereo, etc.). Two position switches can be more difficult to get cleaner into than pots, but often just working them a few times with the unit off does the trick.

Hopefully this will do it for you...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD