Does one or two DB of Efficiency make a difference?

Options
KeithV
KeithV Posts: 107
edited September 2003 in Speakers
Say 90 as opposed to 88 or 89.

Also, what exactly is efficiency.. I assume it has something to do with how well it uses the power its recieving.
Post edited by KeithV on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Efficiency and sensitivity are sometimes used interchangebly by different manufacturers.

"Sensitivity: Measure of the sound pressure level generated at a distance of one meter from a speaker when the speaker is fed a 2.83 volt signal (1 watt at 8 ohms); efficiency of a speaker creating a certain sound pressure level from a given input with high figures representing a more efficient speaker."

Assuming the same measurement techniques for two different speakers, a 3dB increase in sensitivity will halve the power requirement to play at a paricular SPL. In other words, if my speakers are rated at 91, and yours are rated at 88, I will need half the power you'll need for the same SPL.

It will make a difference in the volume the two speakers will produce given the same gear/power.
  • KeithV
    KeithV Posts: 107
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by burdette
    Efficiency and sensitivity are sometimes used interchangebly by different manufacturers.

"Sensitivity: Measure of the sound pressure level generated at a distance of one meter from a speaker when the speaker is fed a 2.83 volt signal (1 watt at 8 ohms); efficiency of a speaker creating a certain sound pressure level from a given input with high figures representing a more efficient speaker."

Assuming the same measurement techniques for two different speakers, a 3dB increase in sensitivity will halve the power requirement to play at a paricular SPL. In other words, if my speakers are rated at 91, and yours are rated at 88, I will need half the power you'll need for the same SPL.

It will make a difference in the volume the two speakers will produce given the same gear/power.

Sweet, the R50s are sounding like a great bang for the buck deal.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,089
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I like the Old Klipsch's ratings....

102db+ Nominal! Man i tell ya, when you hear 115+db from two speakers and still sounds sweet......that sorda changes your expectations of a speaker....lol

to bad I don't like the Klipsch sound eh...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    What that sounds like is called uncomfortable. Klipsch are way too sharp for my ears, screw that horn loaded thing, I need to hear.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.