Help with my new RTi 70's

Options
rrainwat
rrainwat Posts: 6
edited September 2003 in Speakers
Got the 70's last night and I need some help hooking them up. I got them bi-wired with some monster xp cause thats all I have right now. My problem is with the settings. I have the little polk psw 250 subwoofer and I am wondering how I should hook up the 70's with the sub. Also what setting should the 70's be at, large or small? My recievers lowest crossover though is 100hz not 80hz. I need help here I am new to this stuff. Also can anyone recommend a good pair of bi-wire speaker cables at a reasonable price? BTW paid 359$ a pair for the 70's.
Post edited by rrainwat on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I run mine on Large....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Does the 202 have a RCA ins? If so, get a sub cable, plug it up. Wire that 70 to the receiver...

If it dosn't...wire the 70 into the 202, and then from the 202 to the receiver...

I would think you would wire speaker outs (speaker wire) into the speaker wire in on the sub, then out to the speakers...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rrainwat
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks Sid. Just got a sub cable and plugged it in that way. So you recommend large setting for the speakers still? Oh and anyone have advice on bi-wire cables for the 70's?
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited September 2003
    Options
    rraintwat,

For your bi-wire I would recommend Signalcable.com, I just order their biwire cables they seem good
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I run my 70 on large, sub crossed at 65hz. Found this sounds best, mess around with it. Report back
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Just for grins, I would try running the mains through the sub. Essentially, run the L+R from the receiver to the sub and from the sub out to the mains, set the crossover where it blends the best and on the receiver set the mains to large and sub to 'off' or 'no'. You might find this will blend your sub and mains better.

Something to consider.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Troy,
    Have you tried both? Do you lose SPL? Same?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Yes, I've tried both. Wiring through the sub allows better blending of the sub and mains. For sheer convenience though, I use LFE to my sub.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Did you lose any spl? If you didn't I will try it when I get the SVS. The M&K uses cheap spring clips
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Awesome deal you got for a great pair of speakers. I paid $359 each for mine 6 months ago.

The RTi70s can go down to 40Hz (-3db) and the PSW250 also goes down to 40Hz (-3db) so running them both as large might enduce some bass concellation. I have a PSW202 and run my RTi70s as small with a crossover in the receiver set at 80 and with the crossover at the sub turned up as high as it will go. This lets the RTi70s do what they do best, which is midrange and highs, and lets the PSW202 do what it does best, which is the lows below 80 Hz. I also use the LFE input with a Y adapter.
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • rrainwat
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Just watched the Two Towers with the 70's set to large and they handeled it quite well. Subwoofer crossover on the psw 250 was at 80. Did notice some problems with the bass though being to... well boomy if you know what I mean. I would like to set the 70's at small if my recievers crossover would go down to 80hz, but it doesn't, the lowest it is is 100hz. Guess a new reciever is in my future. Also if you hook the 70's to the speaker level input can you still bi-wire them???? BTW I did get lucky with the 359 pair price thanks to cc price match and thanks to Fry's while I'm at it. I traded in my 100's for the 70's and I must admit they are much better in the midrange department then the 100's which is what I was looking for.
  • rrainwat
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Yo, does anyone know if you can run the RTi 70's through the speaker level inputs of a subwoofer and still bi-wire them??