Need some opinions please

Options
pwmcon1
pwmcon1 Posts: 29
edited September 2003 in Speakers
I have a current setup:
Monitor 10 b, main (20 years old i want to replace they take up too much room)
cs350 center
fx surrounds (could be replaced) bi/di pole
Velodyne 10" powered sub(want to keep)
denon AVR 1700 (want to replace)
denon cd 5 player
Denon DVD player

My problem is I don't hear the quality that I have heard from other systems, ie Bose lifestyle, (I know it not great stuff but I have heard the same cd on my ex-girlfriend stereo and mine and it sounds better on hers). Plus I need more room

Should I get a different receiver?, replace the mains with lsi9?
Maybe replace the surrounds with rt25i???

any and all opinions please, I have $2,000 to invest and will sell the old stuff on ebay unless someone here wants it.

thanks
pwmcon2@yahoo.com
Post edited by pwmcon1 on

Comments

• kureboy99
    kureboy99 Posts: 53
    edited September 2003
    Options
    for $2000 with your current setup, i would say (personal opinion mind you); NAD T752 receiver...Polk LSi9's as mains (surrounds and center should be okay but you might not get timber maching if that is important enough for you..not really IMHO)...and lastly maybe a Sony SACD/CD 5 cd changer to replace your Denon. Just a thought...good luck and welcome to the Forums :)
    ...See the Music, Feel the Music, Be the Music...
  • pwmcon1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    OK< thanks
    What is timber matching?
    What about the NAD 761, I like the fact that the NAD matches sound to the speakers, is that right?
    I am not sure I will have need for 7.1, as my place is too small for background speakers.
    thanks
  • pwmcon1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
    You said 753, but the link was for 752??
    Is this coming out new in 04?

I have good cables and connects, I have very thick monster cable, componet video, I spent $$ on them, always have.

Those rti look good, but the towers seem tall, the 150 are over 40", and have 3 woofers, maybe too much base considering my
    Velodyne sub woofer.

I perfer used stuff over retail like CC, the 150's sold for $200 recently on ebay.

thanks
  • kureboy99
    kureboy99 Posts: 53
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Timbre matching is when all of the components have the same sound characteristics such as same materials they are built out of. Like if you were to buy all Polk LSi speakers for your home theater. Since you already have Polk surrounds and center though, it should all be fine. Timbre matching is more for "connoisseurs" and super hi-fi setups who want everything 100% accurate to the last detail. A bit much if you ask me :)
    ...See the Music, Feel the Music, Be the Music...
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    kureboy,
    Slight issue with your post here. It is both worth it and easy to match Polks. Most focus on the tweeters.

pwmcon1,
    Depending on price and your location (shipping) I might be interested in your 10b's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • pwmcon1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I live near Wash DC,
    I would be willing to meet b/t DC and Phil.
    SHipping is a pain, not worth it in my opinion
    thanks for your interest.
    About $200, rosewood is good shape
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Agree... too far to meet, too much pain to ship. I'll pass...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • pwmcon1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Well I bought the lsi9 from ebay, $520 from sound distributors
    I also ordered the 3802 from 6ave
    I was alerted to another polkster that if u order the 3802, they will say they are out of stock and give u the 3803 for the same price, 650$ including shipping, which is a great deal since ebay is selling the 3803 for $800

thanks for your opinions
    I'll let u know how it works out
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I am by no means on of the experts here but you may have trouble driving the 9's with the Denon. It's only rated to 6 Ohms and the 9's are 4 Ohm speakers.
    Some others who may have tried it will probably chime in.
    Good luck, you got some great deals there
  • pwmcon1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    well here are a few who seem to have no problems,
    note I have a small room and condo 700 sq ft

The speakers are available in cherry or black. I heard that black wasn't as nice, so I went with cherry. The finish on the cabinet is as top- notch as the sound is. They are a 4 ohm speaker, so you will need a pretty good power system for them. My Denon 1802 seems to handle them OK even with five channels running. I don't play them at high levels.

Yesterday I went to Ovation Audio store in Indianapolis, IN (Castleton) to borrow my Thiel speaker back from repair service. In the mean time, I got a chance to visit the store for some new stuff, and the salesman introduced me the new Polk Audio Lsi-9s. After auditioning and comparing them with Paradigm Studio 40 (I have been a Paradigm fan for a while) side by side, WOW, I was surprised to know that they sound really good and like Paradigm in terms of tonal balance and efficiency (88dB v.s. 89dB) although they were driven by a DENON 2802 receiver. Lsi-9 is accuracy and natural. Before, my image of Polk Audio is mass products for mid-fi or low-fi users, but the new Lsi-9 has totally changed my impression of Polk Audio to the best bargain in the Hi-Fi speakers as mentioned in The Absolute Sound (p 113, Issue 135, April/May 2002)
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by pwmcon1
    I don't play them at high levels.
    This is the key bit from the first quote.

So long as you stay within the current limitations of an amp, it'll pair with any speakers. Question is whether you will be satisfied with the SPL.

If you listen at concert hall or movie theater levels, current capability is a real concern. If you listen at moderate levels, either by choice or out of concern for your neighbors, the current demands and concerns will be lower.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli