Changing out center channels

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited September 2003 in Speakers
I currently have the 38's up front and just bought the 28's for the rear. (I'm becoming a Polkaholic!) The sound is amazing.

Anyway, I have a BIC America DV62CLRS center channel speaker that I paid $100 bucks for. This company is not well known, but this particular center channel was rated by Home Theater magazine as one of the best center channels on the market. It has two 6.5" drivers.

Nevertheless, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to change my current center channel out with a Csi40. How much of a difference does timbre-matching really make? Can I achieve a timbre-matched sound by tweaking my system? If so, how?

Current System:
Front: 38's
Rear: 28's
Back: JBL N24s
Center: Bic DV62CLRS
Receiver: Denon 1803
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    EB,

First, welcome to the Club.

Second, I've heard of BIC. They make pens and razors, right? (Sorry 'bout that.)

Seriously, B.I.C. is an old firm that made a line of turntables back in the 70's. I believe they were British. B.I.C. Americas was their US company. While I cannot comment on their center channel, I can offer you a couple thoughts.

Timber matching-wise, if you are not noticing a mismatch, there probably is not one. Especially so if you have calibrated your system.

If you wish to compare your BIC to the PA 40, you might consider carrying your BIC into CC for a side by side, and/ or taking advantage of their guarantee for an in-home.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I would say if you can find a CSi40 you should buy it now, while prices are so good and take it home for a listen. If you like it then you are set and if you don't you can take it back no questions asked. There aren't very many of them left so if you are going to move on it do it now.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • DynamiteD
    DynamiteD Posts: 48
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I second getting the CSi40. Long ago I had the CS250 and I thought it sounded great. After two years of using it I got a deal on the CS400 and the difference was huge! Now I have the CSi40. My advice to you and to anyone is to always get the best center channel you can. It makes a world of difference with movies and multi-channel audio.
    Mains: Paradigm Studio 100's
    Center: Paradigm Studio CC570
    Rear: Paradigm Studio ADP 470's
    Subwoofer: Paradigm Servo 15 v.2
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-59TXi
    Amplification: California Audio Labs
    CL-2500 5X500
    DVD: Integra DPS 10.5
    Hitachi 51S715 51" CRT Rear Projection
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

Yes, my system is calibrated and sounds exceptional to me right now. (check out the great reviews on audioreview.com for the BIC DV62CLR). I compared the sound of my system to a friend's home theater room (literally) that cost him about $15K in equipment, and my entry level Polks and Denon 1803 receiver were equally impressive. However, I'm beginning to see the value of sticking with a single line of speakers and a highly reputable company that makes them.

It would be nice to compare my current center channel with the Csi40 and see if there's a significant improvement. Just gotta wait for a better deal on it. Right now at the local CCs they're $299. Over the past 6 months, I've changed out all of my audio gear. If I bring home another speaker, my wife will choke me.

Thought about lugging my current center channel to CC to compare it to the Csi40, but most of the teenagers that staff the place rarely know how to operate the audio components.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."