New Tombstone Release!

yoeddy
yoeddy Posts: 140
edited January 2002 in Music & Movies
I am so glad that this movie was re released with a remixed DD, DTS THX enhanced track! Great movie!
Post edited by yoeddy on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited January 2002
    This movie definitely rocked! It's one of my favorite Western movies. Val Kilmer is spectacular as Doc Holiday. This movie makes Kevin Costner's "Wyat Earp" look like a pansy flick.

Aaron ("I'm you're Huckleberry" - Doc Holiday)
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2002
    I'll check it out. Always up for a good western.

-luc
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    val kilmer is incredible in this movie, probably my favorite roll of his. i too am glad to see this new release of the dvd, but again, it just means i have to buy it AGAIN.....
  • carvinman1
    carvinman1 Posts: 62
    edited January 2002
    I picked this one up on Tuesday. The film is better than ever with the new enhanced soundtrack, and the packaging is a nice touch.
    Danny
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2002
    The only thing that sucks is the terrible amout of edge enhancement used. WHY oh WHY?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited January 2002
    Awsome will have to pick it up.
    Would you have wanted to live durinng this time period in history? I think it would have some pros but to many cons-like food, A/C, heat, etc.. It would be fun for a vacation IMO.
    Chris :)
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2002
    I have yet to see WYATT EARP. I have heard that it is a better film than TOMBSTONE. I will also have to see TOMBSTONE again in this incarnation. I did think that Kilmer's Holliday is probably his best acting ever. That's a great characterization.

I just watched SILVERADO this past weekend. It sucked. (Great DVD, tho -- big wide soundtrack dynamics.) It was just an empty screen exercise in cowboy cliches. And that's a problem with all three of these movies, IMO. What can you be -- aside from cowboy cliches -- when there are towering, multilayered statements like THE SEARCHERS and THE WILD BUNCH and even UNFORGIVEN happening?

I think I would love to have lived in this era, mid to late 1800s. The clothing looks so much more comfortable, and who showers these days anyway? (Not me.) But moreso, wouldn't it be amazing to live in a time when there was still a FRONTIER (which is what most of these great cowboy movies are about, see DANCES WITH WOLVES)? When there was still something to see that no one else had ever seen. That's what makes DANCES so great a film for me, the look in his eyes when he discovers THE FRONTIER. That's cool. I could put up with no A/C and outdoor plumbing if there was a frontier.

Well, maybe not outdoor plumbing...

Cowboy Micah
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Micah Cohen
    edited January 2002
    Actually, I'm a dick for saying that "no one had ever seen" the frontier. And I'm a dick for saying the Costner character "discovers" the frontier.

I didn't mean to diss the Native Americans. I know they were there first. No question.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2002
    Why don't you just take a jaunt up in to Alaska or northern Canada??? Hell, even northern Maine is pretty desolate.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    IMO tombstone was a better movie than wyatt earp. wyatt earp just had scenes that didn't need to be so long, too drawn out. long time since i've seen it, but i know it left me not wanting to see it again...

micah, what is your favorite roll kilmer played? just curious...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2002
    Costner sucks in every-single roll he plays, he cannot get into a character and protray it at all. On screen all you see is Cosnter. Unlike Kilmer, on screen all you see is Doc Holiday. Costner was the downfall of Dances. That is why it sucks.

Don't bother with Wyatt Earp, unless you need a good nap.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited January 2002
    I agree, Costner is leaden. But DANCES works because his character in some ways is supposed to be that way. Shocked and surprised and in need of escape. Not to mention that you have to acknowledge that it is a feat of direction, a really well made beautiful film. You can't tell me that even the manliest man among us doesn't cry like chick at that last scene -- "Dances With Wolves, you are my friend!" It's engineered to make you cry. It works.

In everything else, Costner sucks.

But Kilmer sucks, too. His Doc Holliday is good because a) it's a well fleshed out role, b) it's sort of a surprise and 3) because he does go out of his way to inhabit the role, like an actor should. In pretty much everything else, Kilmer is just boring. Leaden.

And I don't mean that I'd want to go live in Maine or Alaska. I mean, I want to be a cowboy riding the range in my duster and spurs, two six-guns (post-war Colts) by my side. I also want to be a pirate; not one of today's drug-running speed-boat-driving "pirates" but one of those guys with an eye-patch and a three masted schooner. Arg! And I want to be an astronaut... And a deep sea diver...

What the hell am I doing with my life?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com