Morissey collapases on stage

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited October 2009 in Music & Movies
British singer Morrissey was hospitalized overnight after reportedly collapsing on stage during a concert, medical officials said Sunday.

Morrissey was discharged about 1 p.m. (9 a.m. ET) on Sunday, "much improved," said Great Western Hospital manager Teresa Harding.

"He was admitted ... as a precautionary measure," she said, refusing to reveal anything further about his condition or the reason he was hospitalized.

The 50-year-old recording artist, who seldom uses his full name Steven Patrick Morrissey, was scheduled to perform in Swindon, west of London, on Saturday night. According to fan accounts on various Web sites, the singer collapsed after the first song.

Morrissey was the frontman of the seminal 1980s band The Smiths, before embarking on a successful solo career. In a 2002 piece, British music magazine NME named The Smiths "the most influential artist ever" -- ahead of the Beatles.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Did that magazine make any other frighteningly accurate statements before they folded?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Hehe.....
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited October 2009
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »

Morrissey was the frontman of the seminal 1980s band The Smiths, before embarking on a successful solo career. In a 2002 piece, British music magazine NME named The Smiths "the most influential artist ever" -- ahead of the Beatles.

They can't have been that influential...I don't even know who the hell they're talking about...lol
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • Norm Apter
    Norm Apter Posts: 1,036
    edited October 2009
    Options
    They can't have been that influential...I don't even know who the hell they're talking about...lol

Thats because you were born around the time they broke up :D Lol.

No, but seriously I think the Smiths had a much bigger following in the U.K. than they ever did in the U.S. Over on this side of the pond, the Smiths were basically demigods of the kind of underground or "college" music scene as it was called back in the 1980s before Kurt Cobain & co. came along and changed the label "college" or "progressive" music to "alternative" overnight in 1991, making it mainstream. Back in the 1980s, you would know the Smiths only either through friends or possibly through the old MTV show "120 minutes" (anybody remember Dave Kendall?). Anyways, regular airplay? Forget about it.

I'm a big fan -- I certainly won't go so far as to say anything close to "the most influential band of all time," however, unlike the vast majority of acts from that era (including U2, of whom I was a big fan back in the 80s) their music has aged quite well. In retrospect, I appreciate them more than I did back then and for a terrible decade of music on the whole they were a cut above most. "Louder than Bombs" is probably my favorite. A killer album.

Also, Johnny Marr is one of the most innovative and interesting guitarists out there over the past couple of decades. Since the Smiths broke up, he's joined the bands, The The, and more recently, Modest Mouse. IMO, he's the standout musician in the Smiths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Marr
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
    Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
    Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
    polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
    IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
    polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
    polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
    polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
    Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects
  • xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I thought he was dead...
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2009
    Options
    There Smiths were semi big in the mid 80's. I was and still am a fan. I've seen Morissey in concert. just ok.

Funny though really how so many people think of the 80's never ever really think of the Smiths, ever.

I think people couldn't get past Morissey's voice was the problem. Johnny Marr's guitar playing certainly helped propel the band beyond their abilities.

They had a large **** following.

Their debut album, The Smiths is their best IMHO
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Norm Apter
    Norm Apter Posts: 1,036
    edited October 2009
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    I've seen Morissey in concert. just ok.

I once had tickets to see him (fall 1991, I think) but he cancelled. Glad to hear that I didn't miss out on too much.

Yeah, I think some of his post-Smiths stuff is pretty good (esp. the first album, Viva Hate) but on the whole he needed Marr as a fellow collaborator (singer-songwriter) to thrive in the same way that Lennon and McCartney (and Harrison) needed each other to produce their best stuff. Not implying that they were in the same league as the Beatles, just that a similar relationship / chemistry was in place.
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
    Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
    Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
    polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
    IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
    polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
    polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
    polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
    Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I've been to many, many shows by many different bands and artists and Morrissey probably puts on the best performance out of all of them. I love The Smiths and I love his solo work.
    Gonna have to give the nod to Vauxhall and I for one of my favorite albums of all time.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Yep, The Smiths were a great band back in the day...literate, funny and really captured the gloominess of the UK in the 80's. Johnny Marr was and is a terrific guitarist with a very unique sound. I think they were pretty much the UK's version of REM...great jangly guitars, interesting lyrics and a frontman with lots of stage presence, great pipes...and very ambiguous 'orientation'.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT