Stacked question

Options
Terrax
Terrax Posts: 483
edited September 2003 in Speakers
Guys,

Question, (I mainly bring this up because of Sid's thread), but I'm wondering, with my RTi150's, if I were to get an outstanding deal on some RTi38's and were to stack them with the 150's what do you all feel the outcome would be? Also, I'm supposing that in order to do this I would need to Tri-wire them with the 150's? By that, I mean, my 150's are already Bi-wired, would I add another same length line to the 38's to make that work? Opinions please:)

Edit: Oh and if they were done this way, that would reduce the impedance to 4 ohm on each channel, right?

Terry
Post edited by Terrax on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Terry,
    I am not sure about Tri-Wiring. I ran mine with a Y-Splitter, 2 amps, 2 runs of speaker wire, with the RT35i stacked upside down on top of the RTi70. As you can see, I found positive results. I highly suggest trying it.

- Sid (Trey)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I once ran a 'stack' configuration, but instead of 'tri-wiring,' I simply connected a single run to my bookshelves (RT35i's) from my receiver's 'B' left and rights. That should be easier than the famed 'tri-wire.' I think we're still 4 ohm'ing it, so check your receiver's heat.

It's cool to see your mains become "Lurch," and it sounds interesting and new for a time, but the novelty lost it's luster from my perspective shortly into the venture; the sound isn't cohesive, particularly if you're going to mesh tweeters and crossover designation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about any of this, because I'll run the damned thing again if I have to.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    So basically, you didn't do what I did.

All you did was run 2 speakers, same exact signal, 2 times over, off the same amp...

I can see how that would sound funky.....

Although, that is kinda basically what I am doing. I just don't hear that, I hear a kind of split sound. Where it divides the mids into 3 woofers evenly and disperses(sp) them equally at you, doing the same with the highs. I could only imagine if you play 2 of the same signals at the same time at you. That would sound funky, would kinda be like stacking your surrounds on top of your mains playing them in 5 channel stereo I'd think.....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Terrax
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Not really, you wouldn't be getting the time delay of surrounds, now that would be funky. You would however be receiving different crossover points form the mis-match, correct? The same signal is received by both speaker sets at the same time with no delay, but because of the crossover mis-match I suppose there would be somewhat of a distortion at the point of output.
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Terry,
    If you decide to do it....

My demo disk suggestion for you is Tatu. Why? Because that is one el of a CD in the highs. You will here a substantial difference in the clearer, smoothness. The mids are highly demanding, and the bass is loud and tight. That is a CD you will hear a big difference in. IMO, it is my Demo CD of choice for the Highs and Mids. I have been listening to it in repeat since like 6 oclock or so. I must say, it sounds much better, clearer, less strained. The CD uses electronic instruments and such, so the treble was very demanding and kind of forced where the mids and the tweeter cross over, and it had a strained sound. That sounds is basically gone now, for me anyways. I thoroughly enjoy the CD now....

Just a suggestion

Terry,
    I have no idea man...lol. I just know it sounds very good the way it is, I have an amp to run A-B on, but I don't have the time to mess around with it, or the patience....
  • Loud & Clear
    edited September 2003
    Options
    So, Trey, you're running two different amps (Christ only knows the variance between the two), each powering different speaker systems (tweeters, crossover designations), and you're hoping to find a measure of Zen Whoopie via that configuration?

I don't known man, keep us up to date though.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    No, they have the same sonic signature.

The RTi70 amp is the Adcom GFA-545 II, the RT35i amp is the Adcom GFA-535II. They sound identicle. Absolutely no difference in sound, except the 545 packs 40 more watts. I honestly like the Silk/Tri Lam combo, and the RTxxxi/RTixxx woofer combo too....

EDIT: It'd be cool to stack RT55i on top of the RTi70....now that would be awesome. The bass would be killer...lol
  • Loud & Clear
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Trey, the RT55i's, being that they're wider and deeper, should find their way towards the bottom of the 'stack' just in case you've got the notion.

By the way, I've been lookin' for another pair of RT55i's, and damn those mothers are hard to track down. If you ever get a chance to review them, I'd love to read your take on them. Compare them with your RTi70's. Of course that goes for every forum member.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Oh man I know......

I honestly have been searching for them for over a year or so now. I see them every now and again, but right after I already layed down some bones on other equiptment......oh well....

I will never own a pair of RT55i. I would love to, but I never will probally....
  • texanpolk
    texanpolk Posts: 1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    You guys are sure right when you refer to the RT55i's. I bought a pair February 2002 on closeout from CC and have been extremely pleased.

I just recently bought a new HT HK AVR 325 plus PSW 303, CSi30 and FXi30. The RT55i's now sound twice as good when I play cd's in the 5 channel stero mode. All the speakers blend together seamlessly.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Terrax, I did a little quick research, the 38 is rated at 89 db sensitivety and the 150 is 91, so right there right off the bat, you'd have somehow adjust the levels to match. Plus, the crossover points are different to the tweeters on both of them. I wouldn't recommend it, but hey, go for it if you wish.
  • Terrax
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Big,

Yeah, I saw that to, 2 point sensitivety could make difference when coupled with the fact that the 38's would really high off the floor, I'm quessing total height would be near 6 feet for total cabient height. But, then again with them so high up, there might be a chance for more blending? Thoughts on that are certainly welcome. hehe it's just a crazy idea anyway....lol But if I can find the 38's reduced more at CC, I'm gonna try it.:cool:
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I think it'd probably be best just to run the 150s alone. I'd run them at the max gain output I possibly could. I sure wouldn't cut them back 2 db just to match the 38s. I don't know the exact figure off hand, but a 2 db reduction would be equivalent to about a 66% (give or take a few) power reduction in your receiver/amp. It's just not worth it (IMHO). Those 150s need MAXIMUM power, not to be throttled back just for the 38s to try to keep up with them.
    All of that is just to try to address the sensitivety difference between them. That doesn't even begin to sort out the crossover differences in the 2 speakers.
    Then again, I could very well be wrong and way off base about this.