Just tried the VPI 16.5 RCM!

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited September 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I received the VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine today. It was about $460 shipped from Galen Carroll. I have put off this purchase for almost two years because I figured it was a little extreme and may not provide a reasonable benifit. I was wrong. Very wrong. This thing has already paid for itself with todays use only. Most of my lp's are new/sealed purchases. One run through this machine removes a layer of sound crud that you would not believe. Dollar for dollar it is the most valuable purchase I have made since deciding to go the vinyl route! I'm excited and admit it. Actually when I got home I was only mildly excited but after running my first lp through it at about 4:30 this afternoon I have been stoked. So far I have cleaned and listened to about 10 lp's and seriously, I cannot believe what it does. WOW. Did I just say WOW? WOW!. There is a new layer of reality in every lp that has gone through the treatment. (most of you guys who know me know that I am not afraid to say that a big purchase was not worth it). WOW! Even some older lp's that were very abused sound reasonable. I think that probably 80% of my old lp's which were going to be almost given away on ebay as "lot of junk lp's" are now going to be kept as reasonable copies until I find new ones. It certainly does not fix the scratches but what it does do is to raise the musical satisfaction to a new level that I can't yet explain. Sorry to go on but I am VERY excited right now. I hope my neighbors can forgive me...
madmax
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Yup, the little fellas do pull a mean vacuum and haul some serious neglect off of old albums...

Speaking of vacuum, did you buy the optional attachment? :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    Ha ha. I'll leave the options up to the pro's. I really can't believe how much different my lp's sound now. It's kinda fun to use too. At first I was wondering how someone could sell a record cleaning machine in this day and age for that many $$ but now I see the light! The Orbitrac cleaner seemed to remove some grunge but nothing like this. Used lp's will not be a problem now and even the new ones sound better.
    madmax

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Ok, obviously I would need to pay postage both ways - so what are you going to charge per LP? Good buddy, ole pal.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited September 2003
    Haha, looks like you may have a side job. ;) And a great way to listen to other people's LPs.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    Give me a little more time to get the procedure down and I'll do a few complementary lp's for anyone who wants to hear the difference. This is dangerous though because once you hear the difference you may be hooked.

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Ok, obviously I would need to pay postage both ways - so what are you going to charge per LP? Good buddy, ole pal.

Cheers,
    Russ

Whoa there partner... you got an in state alternative...

If we doing the October thing, I'll bring my NG... (but not the special attachment).
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Roger that....

On a derail...the SRS replacement tweeters showed, I've got your minty SL2000's (x4) all boxed up and ready to leave...
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    An NG? Are you kidding? Is that actually considerered an alternative to the VPI?

Just kidding :D
    madmax